Hakimi tests positive for coronavirus ahead of Gladbach clash

By Sports Desk October 21, 2020

Inter star Achraf Hakimi has tested positive for coronavirus ahead of Wednesday's Champions League group match against Borussia Monchengladbach.

Hakimi is "totally asymptomatic" after his diagnosis emerged from the latest round of UEFA tests ahead of the Group B contest at San Siro.

The 21-year-old, in his first season at Inter after a superb spell with Borussia Dortmund, has played in all four of his team's Serie A matches this season, including their 2-1 loss in Saturday's Milan derby.

Hakimi will now enter a period of quarantine and can only come back once he has returned a negative result.

"Achraf Hakimi has tested positive in the latest round of UEFA checks (required by hygiene protocols) undertaken ahead of tonight's game against Borussia Monchengladbach," Inter said in a statement.

"The Inter full-back is totally asymptomatic and will now follow the procedure set out by the health protocol."

Inter have had to deal with a host of positive results in recent weeks. 

Alessandro Bastoni and Radja Nainggolan have recovered while Ashley Young, Roberto Gagliardini, Ionut Radu and Milan Skriniar are among those still waiting for the all-clear to return.

Related items

  • Tuchel not hiding from Chelsea's Champions League and FA Cup double pursuit Tuchel not hiding from Chelsea's Champions League and FA Cup double pursuit

    Thomas Tuchel insists he will not hide from the challenge of winning trophies at Chelsea as they prepare for a significant Champions League and FA Cup double bill.

    The Blues face Porto on Tuesday in the home leg of their quarter-final tie in a commanding position, having won 2-0 in the first fixture.

    On Saturday, they will meet quadruple-chasing Manchester City in an FA Cup semi-final, with the prospect of meeting either Leicester City or Southampton in the final.

    Chelsea remain in a battle for a top-four finish in the Premier League but head coach Tuchel has his sights set on delivering silverware, despite only taking over from Frank Lampard in January.

    Asked if the Champions League is Chelsea's best chance of a trophy in 2020-21, Tuchel replied: "Maybe when you are in the final.

    "We are in the second leg of the quarter-final of the Champions League. You will not find any team who do not have the goal to reach the semi-final.

    "We are in the semi-final of the FA Cup and have the chance to arrive in the final. If we arrive in the final then we have the chance to win.

    "There is nothing to hide. This is a club that has a culture, a structure to win titles and win games consecutively. Chelsea is the club that has the culture and the history and mentality to do so.

    "I am here to win titles, I am here to win games and as a result, win titles. This is what I demand of myself so why should we now say anything different?

    "But, honestly, we can talk for hours and hours but tomorrow is the game to play and there is no tougher match than the next game, there is no tougher obstacle than the one in front of you and we should not get lost in dreams, hopes and speeches or whatever.

    "We are here to perform in the second leg of the quarter-final, this is what we do and then hopefully after tomorrow we can talk about a semi-final."

    Goals from Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell secured Chelsea's first-leg win and they are yet to lose a game in this season's competition.

    Porto, meanwhile, have only won once in their past 20 knockout games as the away side, while only four teams have previously progressed in this competition after losing a home first leg of a tie without scoring.

    Still, Tuchel believes Porto have an easier challenge as they can only go all out for victory in Seville, where the first leg was also held due to coronavirus restrictions.

    "We don't approach games like this [passively] or change the approach," Tuchel said. "For us, it is important that we focus on us, play the best game possible as this increases the chances to have a result.

    "In terms of a result, it is easier for Porto because they need to score three goals to get through, for them if it is clear. For us, if we start in this way then we could completely lose our heads. I hope we embrace the challenge and feel it."

  • Real Madrid winger Hazard not ready for Anfield return Real Madrid winger Hazard not ready for Anfield return

    Eden Hazard will not be risked by Real Madrid in their Champions League quarter-final second leg against Liverpool.

    Hazard has been restricted to only 14 appearances in a frustrating injury-hit campaign for the LaLiga champions.

    The Belgium international recovered from a hip injury to make a substitute appearance in a 2-1 win over Elche last month but sustained another setback.

    Hazard is back in training but was not included in Los Blancos' 21-man squad for the clash at Anfield on Wednesday, which Zinedine Zidane's side will start with a 3-1 lead.

    Lucas Vazquez will also be absent after he suffered a season-ending knee injury in the 2-1 Clasico victory over Barcelona on Saturday.

    There were concerns over Toni Kroos' fitness for the trip to Merseyside after the Germany midfielder came off in the win over Barca, but he was named in the squad, along with Federico Valverde, who was also a doubt.

    In-form Madrid will also be without injured defenders Sergio Ramos, Dani Carvajal and Raphael Varane once again.

  • Conceicao confident Porto can storm back and knock Chelsea out Conceicao confident Porto can storm back and knock Chelsea out

    Sergio Conceicao says Porto are confident they can mount a storming fightback and knock Chelsea out of the Champions League.

    The Primeira Liga champions have a mountain to climb in the quarter-final at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday after suffering a 2-0 home defeat in the first leg last week.

    Porto have won only one of their 20 knockout stage matches on their travels and that was back in 2004 against Deportivo de La Coruna at the semi-final stage.

    Conceicao warned Chelsea that his side are ready to roll up their sleeves and seal a place in the last four.

    "There are many moments overs the years that can be examples of overcoming and believing," said the Porto head coach.

    "We are confident. We know that we are going to face a difficult obstacle, but we are here to give the answer that we have to give. The feeling of representing this historic club and its DNA is always on the pitch."

    Conceicao says Porto will not go out all guns blazing in London.

    He added: "We have to be a compact, cohesive team. It is necessary to score goals, but also not to suffer.

    "In the first leg we played a good game, but it was not good enough. If it were, we would have won the game. We will try to improve even more what was a good performance by the team.

    "Over 90 minutes for FC Porto it requires the ability to believe and be resilient. We always try to enter with that spirit. We are ready to go to the fight and to fight."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.