Sancho and Abraham back in England contention after coronavirus protocol breach

By Sports Desk October 10, 2020

Jadon Sancho and Tammy Abraham are back in England contention again after missing the friendly win over Wales due to breaching coronavirus protocols.

Sancho, Abraham and Ben Chilwell were left out of the squad for Thursday's 3-0 victory after it emerged earlier in the week they had attended a party last Saturday.

The trio were at a surprise birthday party thrown for Chelsea striker Abraham, who insisted he had no prior knowledge of it and subsequently apologised.

British tabloid The Sun claimed approximately 20 people were at the event despite United Kingdom regulations prohibiting meetings of more than six people in social situations.

Sancho also took responsibility for his actions in an apology posted to his official Instagram account, with Southgate confirming the players would be missing for at least the Wales friendly.

Southgate said their availability to face Belgium in Sunday's Nations League encounter depended on them passing UEFA-mandated coronavirus tests two days before, and they were given the go-ahead to return to training on Saturday.

"Tammy and Jadon both trained this morning, so everyone is available," Southgate told reporters.

"They've obviously missed a bit of training, so that's a bit of a concern in terms of their load through the week but no, it [the punishment] is done, that situation is done.

"They are back with the group and we move forward."

Chilwell remains a doubt for Sunday's match, however, as he was unable to take the UEFA test on Friday due to a non-coronavirus related illness.

"So, Ben will be tested today and we have to wait for the results of that test tomorrow and then we can make a decision from there medically on that," Southgate added.

A player who impressed in Sancho's absence on Thursday was Jack Grealish, who set up Dominic Calvert-Lewin's opener on his first England start.

But Southgate was eager to calm comparisons between Aston Villa playmaker Grealish and Three Lions great Paul Gascoigne.

"I'm very conscious, I don't want to be dampening the enthusiasm for Jack, I always answer honestly about people, but when you talk about Gascoigne, there's not a player in English history at that level, in my opinion," he said.

"But I don't want that to be seen as a criticism of Jack. In many ways, Gascoigne was unique, such an incredible player, it's a bit like talking about Bobby Moore.

"I think what we have to say is, young players who come through, we shouldn't burden them with comparing them to someone else, their own talents are unique.

"I kind of understood some of the comparison, but I think Gascoigne was on another level to anyone else I played with."

Related items

  • Watson and Cowan-Dickie return to England squad for Wales clash Watson and Cowan-Dickie return to England squad for Wales clash

    Anthony Watson and Luke Cowan-Dickie have returned to the England squad for the Autumn Nations Cup clash with Wales on Saturday after recovering from injury. 

    Bath back Watson sustained an ankle injury in the Six Nations win over Italy last month, while Exeter Chiefs hooker Cowan-Dickie is back to full fitness after undergoing knee surgery. 

    Wasps fly-half Jacob Umaga and Northampton full-back George Furbank, meanwhile, have withdrawn from the 35-man squad due to injury.

    Eddie Jones' side beat Ireland 18-7 on Sunday and another victory in Llanelli on Saturday will see them compete against the winners of Group B on December 6 to decide who lifts the trophy.

     

    England squad:

    Backs: Joe Cokanasiga, Elliot Daly, Owen Farrell (captain), George Ford, Jonathan Joseph, Ollie Lawrence, Max Malins, Jonny May, Alex Mitchell, Dan Robson, Henry Slade, Ollie Thorley, Anthony Watson, Ben Youngs.

    Forwards: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tom Curry, Tom Dunn, Ben Earl, Charlie Ewels, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Joe Launchbury, Lewis Ludlam, Joe Marler, Beno Obano, David Ribbans, Kyle Sinckler, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola, Harry Williams, Jack Willis.

  • Rabada compares South Africa's bio-secure envrionments to "luxury prisons" Rabada compares South Africa's bio-secure envrionments to "luxury prisons"

    Paceman Kagiso Rabada has compared South Africa's bio-secure environments to "luxury prisons" but says it is important they retain perspective about their privilege. 

    The South Africa squad are staying in carefully controlled accommodation ahead of their Twenty20 international series against England amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. 

    While Rabada admits it has proved challenging, he says he is constantly reminding himself of the fortunate position he and his team-mates find themselves in. 

    "It can be quite tough," he told ESPNcricinfo. "You can't interact. You've basically lost your freedom. 

    "It's almost like luxury prisons we are in. But we have to remind ourselves that we are fortunate.

    "People have lost their jobs, people are struggling at the moment, so we must be grateful for the opportunity we have been given to make some money and to do what we love.

    "And we don't get treated too badly. We stay in great hotels. We get the best food. It's like a spoilt kid not getting what they want at the candy store. It can be quite tough because you are surrounded by four walls the whole time and that can be a factor mentally.

    "But just remind yourself of all the good things that are happening and once we start playing, it will take away from the desolate times."

    Rabada has recently returned to South Africa after an impressive stint in the Indian Premier League, where he finished as the top wicket-taker. 

    That followed a long period in his home country without playing cricket, having spent most of 2020 in some form of lockdown imposed by the South African government. 

    Rabada says the break helped him reset both physically and mentally but does not expect to have similar periods off in the future. 

    "The break helped to refresh the body and to take the mind off of a lot of things," he added. "But I don't know if long extended breaks will happen in future because cricket is getting more and more. 

    "I'm not sure how much of it is due to a long break, but I don't think it will happen a lot in the future. I don't think we will get breaks that long unless we get Covid-20."

    The three-match Twenty20 series starts in Cape Town on Friday, while the Proteas and England will also contest a three-match ODI series after competing in the shortest format.

  • Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus

    Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier has tested positive for coronavirus, the German club have announced.

    The 18-year-old, who joined Dortmund on a two-year loan deal from Real Madrid in August, underwent PCR tests for COVID-19 upon his return from international duty with Brazil Under-23s last week.

    Reinier was not part of Dortmund's squad for their Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin at the weekend and no other BVB players have tested positive.

    Dortmund confirmed the news on Monday, a day before their Champions League match with Club Brugge, and added that the teenager is asymptomatic and is now self-isolating.

    He has been used seven times by Lucien Favre, each of those appearances coming from the bench.

    Reinier, who won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores with Flamengo in 2019, has yet to score, assist or create a chance in his three Bundesliga outings and has managed just one shot.

    Tuesday's meeting with Brugge is the first of three home games in a row for Dortmund, with Koln and Lazio to come in the next nine days.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.