Eriksen frustrated at Inter: I don't want to sit on the bench

By Sports Desk October 10, 2020

Inter midfielder Christian Eriksen insisted he does not expect to sit on the bench for the rest of the season as he vented his frustration.

Eriksen swapped Tottenham for Inter in January but the Denmark international has struggled to establish himself in Antonio Conte's starting XI.

The 28-year-old has only featured in 73 minutes of Serie A action this term, having started just eight of 17 league fixtures in 2019-20.

In total, Eriksen started 11 matches across all competitions for Inter last season.

Asked about his Inter situation while on international duty as Denmark prepare to face Iceland in Sunday's Nations League clash, Eriksen told reporters: "I don't want to sit on the bench for the whole season. I hope this isn't the coach's or the club's intention.

"There will be an incredible number of matches in a short time, and now we also have three national team matches in a few days. The Champions League starts when we get back to their respective clubs, so there will be a lot of games to play.

"I'm sure I'll probably have my minutes. So it depends a lot on the people on the outside and I myself expect this moment to come.

"I find myself at a point where perhaps I had never been in a club team before. I got off to a great start after arriving at Inter in January and tried to show off then we stopped because of coronavirus and then it went little up and down.

"People's thinking and expectations of me as a player is to be decisive in every game, and that wasn't the case. That's why people from the outside look at me differently now.

"Obviously you become less patient when you have experience and have tried different things… in the end it is always unpleasant to sit on the bench."

Eriksen was linked with a deadline-day exit amid reported interest from Bundesliga duo Borussia Dortmund and Hertha Berlin, but the Danish star remains in Milan.

"I have not heard anything from my agent, and if there was something around me, I would have heard it from him or the club, but there was nothing," he added.

"I gradually got used to the fact that a lot is written in the press. What is true and what is not true, I cannot answer. I only know what I was told and there was nothing concrete. So Monday was just a day like any other for me, because nothing happened."

Related items

  • Isco wants to try another league – agent Isco wants to try another league – agent

    Isco wants an exit from Real Madrid and LaLiga, according to his agent.

    The 28-year-old, who is contracted at Madrid until 2022, has struggled for game time, making just three league starts so far this season.

    Everton, Arsenal and Manchester City have been linked with the 38-time Spain international, who has been at Madrid since 2013.

    His agent and father, Francisco Alarcon, said Isco was seeking a move, but would have no problems staying at Madrid.

    "Right now, we have no offers, but Isco wants to try another league," he told Cadena SER on Monday.

    He added: "Staying in Madrid would not be a problem."

    Isco has won two LaLiga titles and four Champions Leagues among numerous other trophies since joining Madrid from Malaga.

    However, he last made at least 20 league starts in a single campaign in 2017-18.

  • Ronaldo doesn't receive special treatment at Juventus, says Pirlo Ronaldo doesn't receive special treatment at Juventus, says Pirlo

    Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo insisted Cristiano Ronaldo does not receive any special treatment at the Serie A giants.

    Ronaldo has made a fine start to the season for Juve, scoring eight goals in his first six games.

    His brace guided Juve past Cagliari 2-0 on Saturday, and Ronaldo has scored 29 of Juve's 59 Serie A goals in 2020.

    Ahead of Tuesday's Champions League clash against Ferencvaros, Pirlo discussed Ronaldo – and said the five-time Ballon d'Or winner was treated like any other player.

    "I haven't challenged [Ronaldo] on set-pieces yet. I treat him like I treat all the other players. I'm always available on and off the pitch," he told a news conference.

    "It's easy to have a good relationship between humble people. I'm like that.

    "I behave with him – a champion – like I do with [Gianluca] Frabotta or [Manolo] Portanova, who are two young players.

    "I do the same things I was used to doing when I was a player."

    All eight of Ronaldo's Serie A goals this season have come from inside the box, while he has converted 75 per cent of his big chances.

    Ahead of hosting Ferencvaros, Juventus are second in Group G, three points adrift of Barcelona.

  • Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus

    Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier has tested positive for coronavirus, the German club have announced.

    The 18-year-old, who joined Dortmund on a two-year loan deal from Real Madrid in August, underwent PCR tests for COVID-19 upon his return from international duty with Brazil Under-23s last week.

    Reinier was not part of Dortmund's squad for their Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin at the weekend and no other BVB players have tested positive.

    Dortmund confirmed the news on Monday, a day before their Champions League match with Club Brugge, and added that the teenager is asymptomatic and is now self-isolating.

    He has been used seven times by Lucien Favre, each of those appearances coming from the bench.

    Reinier, who won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores with Flamengo in 2019, has yet to score, assist or create a chance in his three Bundesliga outings and has managed just one shot.

    Tuesday's meeting with Brugge is the first of three home games in a row for Dortmund, with Koln and Lazio to come in the next nine days.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.