England debut goal the stuff of dreams, says beaming Calvert-Lewin

By Sports Desk October 08, 2020

Dominic Calvert-Lewin described his debut England goal as the "stuff of the dreams" and insists he is ready to go whenever called on by the Three Lions.

The in-form Everton striker opened the scoring in Thursday's 3-0 beating of Wales at Wembley to make it 10 goals in seven appearances for club and country this season.

Conor Coady and Danny Ings also netted their first England goals in a good workout for Gareth Southgate's men ahead of Nations League clashes with Belgium and Denmark.

"Obviously it's a shame there are no fans here to celebrate and obviously my family aren't here to celebrate so it's bittersweet in that sense but to score on debut obviously it's the stuff of dreams," Calvert-Lewin told ITV.

"I've worked very hard to get here, it's felt like a very long road but I'm very, very pleased to be here and get the opportunity to score on debut."

Calvert-Lewin was replaced in the 58th minute to perhaps suggest further opportunities in England's Nations League encounters and the striker just wants to impress whenever given the chance.

"I don't know what that suggests, all I can say is I enjoyed the time I did play on the pitch and I'll be ready to step in if needed," he added.

Calvert-Lewin also paid tribute to Jack Grealish, who produced a pearler of a cross to set up his goal.

"He's a top player, I've seen it already," he said. "It's the first time I've played with him to see him up close and personal he's got bags of ability.

"I knew if he got in that position it was for me to hold my position and he'd get the cross in."

Wales skipper Ben Davies felt the visitors were brave in their play especially in the absence of stars Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey.

"They were clinical, I think we started well and I was happy with how things were going," he said. 

"The goal was a sucker punch, as soon as they were in good areas they created better chances than us. There were positives but we know we have to do better. We've seen how good England have been at it, we have to improve at that whole aspect of it, I'm disappointed at how we conceded the goals. 

"We were missing some of our best players, those who didn't play would get in most teams in Europe. It shows character in the team we didn't just sit out or come in with a negative attitude. I'm proud of the boys and the way we had a go tonight."

Related items

  • Watson and Cowan-Dickie return to England squad for Wales clash Watson and Cowan-Dickie return to England squad for Wales clash

    Anthony Watson and Luke Cowan-Dickie have returned to the England squad for the Autumn Nations Cup clash with Wales on Saturday after recovering from injury. 

    Bath back Watson sustained an ankle injury in the Six Nations win over Italy last month, while Exeter Chiefs hooker Cowan-Dickie is back to full fitness after undergoing knee surgery. 

    Wasps fly-half Jacob Umaga and Northampton full-back George Furbank, meanwhile, have withdrawn from the 35-man squad due to injury.

    Eddie Jones' side beat Ireland 18-7 on Sunday and another victory in Llanelli on Saturday will see them compete against the winners of Group B on December 6 to decide who lifts the trophy.

     

    England squad:

    Backs: Joe Cokanasiga, Elliot Daly, Owen Farrell (captain), George Ford, Jonathan Joseph, Ollie Lawrence, Max Malins, Jonny May, Alex Mitchell, Dan Robson, Henry Slade, Ollie Thorley, Anthony Watson, Ben Youngs.

    Forwards: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tom Curry, Tom Dunn, Ben Earl, Charlie Ewels, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Joe Launchbury, Lewis Ludlam, Joe Marler, Beno Obano, David Ribbans, Kyle Sinckler, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola, Harry Williams, Jack Willis.

  • Rabada compares South Africa's bio-secure envrionments to "luxury prisons" Rabada compares South Africa's bio-secure envrionments to "luxury prisons"

    Paceman Kagiso Rabada has compared South Africa's bio-secure environments to "luxury prisons" but says it is important they retain perspective about their privilege. 

    The South Africa squad are staying in carefully controlled accommodation ahead of their Twenty20 international series against England amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. 

    While Rabada admits it has proved challenging, he says he is constantly reminding himself of the fortunate position he and his team-mates find themselves in. 

    "It can be quite tough," he told ESPNcricinfo. "You can't interact. You've basically lost your freedom. 

    "It's almost like luxury prisons we are in. But we have to remind ourselves that we are fortunate.

    "People have lost their jobs, people are struggling at the moment, so we must be grateful for the opportunity we have been given to make some money and to do what we love.

    "And we don't get treated too badly. We stay in great hotels. We get the best food. It's like a spoilt kid not getting what they want at the candy store. It can be quite tough because you are surrounded by four walls the whole time and that can be a factor mentally.

    "But just remind yourself of all the good things that are happening and once we start playing, it will take away from the desolate times."

    Rabada has recently returned to South Africa after an impressive stint in the Indian Premier League, where he finished as the top wicket-taker. 

    That followed a long period in his home country without playing cricket, having spent most of 2020 in some form of lockdown imposed by the South African government. 

    Rabada says the break helped him reset both physically and mentally but does not expect to have similar periods off in the future. 

    "The break helped to refresh the body and to take the mind off of a lot of things," he added. "But I don't know if long extended breaks will happen in future because cricket is getting more and more. 

    "I'm not sure how much of it is due to a long break, but I don't think it will happen a lot in the future. I don't think we will get breaks that long unless we get Covid-20."

    The three-match Twenty20 series starts in Cape Town on Friday, while the Proteas and England will also contest a three-match ODI series after competing in the shortest format.

  • Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus

    Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier has tested positive for coronavirus, the German club have announced.

    The 18-year-old, who joined Dortmund on a two-year loan deal from Real Madrid in August, underwent PCR tests for COVID-19 upon his return from international duty with Brazil Under-23s last week.

    Reinier was not part of Dortmund's squad for their Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin at the weekend and no other BVB players have tested positive.

    Dortmund confirmed the news on Monday, a day before their Champions League match with Club Brugge, and added that the teenager is asymptomatic and is now self-isolating.

    He has been used seven times by Lucien Favre, each of those appearances coming from the bench.

    Reinier, who won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores with Flamengo in 2019, has yet to score, assist or create a chance in his three Bundesliga outings and has managed just one shot.

    Tuesday's meeting with Brugge is the first of three home games in a row for Dortmund, with Koln and Lazio to come in the next nine days.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.