Flick admits Bayern 'lacking a few per cent' after Lewandowski bails out Bundesliga champs

By Sports Desk October 04, 2020

Hansi Flick conceded Bayern Munich are "lacking a few per cent" after being bailed out by four-goal hero Robert Lewandowski in their dramatic 4-3 Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin.

Bundesliga champions Bayern's 32-game unbeaten streak was ended in a shock 4-1 loss to Hoffenheim last week and they nearly dropped two more points on Sunday.

Lewandowski scored either side of half-time to give Bayern a commanding lead, only for Jhon Cordoba and Matheus Cunha to level up for Hertha in an action-packed contest.

Prolific striker Lewandowski completed his hat-trick with five minutes remaining but Jessic Ngankam equalised for the stubborn visitors.

Just when it looked as though Bayern were going to slip up for a second league game running, Lewandowski converted a penalty he won himself three minutes into injury time.

Bayern thrashed Schalke 8-0 in their opening match and have also overcome Sevilla and Borussia Dortmund in the UEFA Super Cup and DFL-Supercup, but head coach Flick accepted there is room for improvement.

"We must take the overall situation into account. It isn't so easy for the players - not all of them are at 100 per cent," he told reporters. 

"We know we can work better in defence, act as a unit and put our opponents under pressure. We're just lacking a few per cent at the moment. 

"But I'm pleased with the team's mentality - we're at 100 per cent in that regard. We have the absolute desire to win. 

"Now it's about showing the beautiful football everybody loves after the international break. We can perform well despite the tiredness."

Lewandowski's four goals came from 13 shots – the most a player has attempted in a Bundesliga match since Edin Dzeko for Wolfsburg against Freiburg in December 2009.

In the week he was named UEFA's Men's Player of the Year for 2019-20, Flick heaped further praise on the Poland international for his latest match-winning display.

"He converted four chances. Robert is an absolute goal-getter," Flick said. "It's important to me that he also adds the other elements, setting up goals and working defensively. 

"He does so, which is why I'm very pleased with him. He has special qualities. But the way we played wasn't like Bayern, we know that."

Bayern are up to fourth in the embryonic table, a point behind early pacesetters RB Leipzig, and Thomas Muller acknowledged the importance of his side's late win over Hertha.

"Of course we're glad we've kept three crucial points," the Bayern forward said. "Many neutrals will definitely be annoyed at our late winner. 

"It was enormously important for us to stay on the ball after these intense last few days. 

"We can't be happy with our work at the back of course, which goes for the whole team. We must keep going when we're two goals up. 

"We want to do the things for which FC Bayern are admired. We did a few things well today but we must restore this aplomb when we're in the lead."

Related items

  • Ter Stegen confirms he will miss Germany's Euro 2020 campaign Ter Stegen confirms he will miss Germany's Euro 2020 campaign

    Marc-Andre ter Stegen has confirmed he will miss Germany's Euro 2020 campaign after opting to undergo a "therapeutic procedure" on his knee.

    Sunday's LaLiga results – including Celta Vigo's shock win at Camp Nou – mean Barcelona can no longer win the title, with the club and Ter Stegen subsequently deciding to cut his season short.

    A brief statement released by the club revealed Ter Stegen will "undergo a therapeutic procedure on the patellar tendon in his right knee on Thursday May 20 in Malmo by Dr Hakan Alfredson and under the supervision of the club's medial services".

    While Barca did not outline a return date, Ter Stegen provided an update on his official Instagram account on Monday, confirming it means he will play no part at the delayed Euro 2020.

    "I'm disappointed about yesterday's defeat and that now we can no longer win La Liga," he wrote.

    "After a complicated start to the season, we showed good character going 19 matches unbeaten – but we weren't able to keep this form.

    "I have decided together with the medical team of the club that I will do a complementary intervention on my knee.

    "I'm sad that I will miss Euro 2020 this summer with Germany. For the first time in many years I will be a fan at home supporting my country, I hope we win it!

    "After the summer break, when we are back on the pitch I hope to be able to play with fans [in attendance] once again, I miss it!

    "Thank you for your support throughout a difficult season and stay healthy!"

    Ter Stegen has featured 31 times in the league in 2020-21 for Barcelona, but his overall performance for the season has not been quite up to the high standards he has set previously.

    He has conceded 32 goals from shots on target worth 29.07 expected goals on target (xGOT), meaning he has let in nearly three goals more than expected. Celta's first goal on Sunday came from a speculative Santi Mina shot worth just 0.04 xGOT.

    Ter Stegen's xGOT differential of -2.93 this term is by far his worst across a single season at the club. In 2015-16, it was -1.44, though he only played seven LaLiga matches, while his next worst was -0.16 in 2019-20, a narrow margin which essentially meant he conceded as many goals as would be expected given the quality of the shots on target he faced.

    But for this procedure the ex-Borussia Monchengladbach man certainly would have been a part of the Germany squad next month, though he would have been playing back-up to Bayern Munich's Manuel Neuer.

    While Ter Stegen has let in more goals than he should have this season, Neuer has conceded 40 times in the Bundesliga from an xGOT value of 42.09, therefore preventing two goals in 2020-21.

    The Neuer or Ter Stegen debate has been a hot topic for Germany for a while now, though the data suggests that, at least this season, the Bayern star remains the safer option between the posts.

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd face battle for Torres, Lautaro-Inter talks begin Rumour Has It: Man Utd face battle for Torres, Lautaro-Inter talks begin

    Where will Pau Torres play next season?

    The Villarreal defender is reportedly wanted by Premier League giants Manchester United, who are set to face the LaLiga outfit in the Europa League final.

    But Napoli are also eyeing the Spain international.

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED FACE FIGHT FOR VILLARREAL DEFENDER

    Manchester United could face a battle from Napoli to sign Villarreal centre-back Pau Torres, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.

    United are looking to bolster their defence amid links to Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos and team-mate Raphael Varane, as well as Sevilla's Jules Kounde.

    Torres has emerged as a serious option, though Napoli are also reportedly interested, with star Kalidou Koulibaly's future uncertain.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Lautaro Martinez and Inter have opened dialogue over a contract renewal, says the front page of Monday's Gazzetta dello Sport. Martinez has previously been tipped to join Barcelona, while Madrid have reportedly emerged as suitors.

    - L'Equipe claims Lyon captain Memphis Depay will complete his move to Barca in June. It comes as Barca look to seal other free-transfer details for Manchester City defender Eric Garcia and Liverpool's Georginio Wijnaldum. Barca have also been linked with Borussia Dortmund sensation Erling Haaland and City's soon-to-be free agent Sergio Aguero.

    Roma have no interest in signing Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon. The Italy great will leave Turin at the end of the season, but it will not be for the Italian capital, reports Calciomercato.

    - According to Calciomercato, Mauro Icardi has been tipped to swap Paris Saint-Germain for Juventus. With Cristiano Ronaldo and Paulo Dybala linked with Juve exits, former Inter captain Icardi could return to Italy.

    Atalanta are set to trigger their option to sign Cristian Romero from Juve, claims Fabrizio Romano. The defender has been scouted by United.

  • Sancho follows in Beckham footsteps, Bellingham thrilled as Dortmund seal Champions League spot Sancho follows in Beckham footsteps, Bellingham thrilled as Dortmund seal Champions League spot

    Jude Bellingham said it was "fantastic" for Borussia Dortmund to seal their place in next season's Champions League as team-mate Jadon Sancho achieved a feat last accomplished by David Beckham.

    At the age of 17, Bellingham has found himself thrust into Bundesliga action at the heart of Dortmund's midfield, and the former Birmingham City youngster could be heading for Euro 2020 duty with England at season's end.

    A challenging campaign for a talented Dortmund squad is ending on a high, with their 4-1 DFB-Pokal final win over RB Leipzig on Thursday followed by Sunday's 3-1 Bundesliga victory at Mainz.

    That result means Dortmund, who sit third with one round of games remaining, are certain to finish in the top four. Bellingham piled praise on interim head coach Edin Terzic, who replaced the sacked Lucien Favre in December, for getting the team to tick over the closing weeks of the campaign, having looked doubtful at one stage to earn a Champions League spot.

    "I'm very happy," said Bellingham. "I knew what the club's expectations were. We fell a bit short throughout the season, especially in the league.

    "We were in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and won the cup. Today we've qualified for the Champions League again after being in a difficult position. That's fantastic, I'm very happy."

    Bellingham added, quoted on Dortmund's official website: "Edin has a brilliant personality. He got the best out of us players, wanted to make everyone better. He's done a great job with his team. We are very happy to have him."

    Goals from Raphael Guerreiro and Marco Reus in the first half at Mainz were both teed up by Sancho, helping Dortmund on their way to a seventh successive win.

    In the process, winger Sancho became the first Englishman from any of Europe's top five championships to reach 10 assists in three consecutive league campaigns since Beckham, who strung together four such seasons from 1997-98 to 2000-01 with Manchester United.

    Sancho missed a chunk of this season due to a muscle injury and has made just 25 Bundesliga appearances in 2020-21, but the 21-year-old has still managed 11 assists and eight goals.

    Last season he managed 16 assists and 17 goals, while in 2018-19 the teenage Sancho totted up 14 assists and 12 goals.

    Sancho – a rumoured Manchester United and Liverpool target – has enjoyed a remarkable week, becoming the first Englishman to score in the DFB-Pokal final as he netted twice in the thumping win over Leipzig.

    He tweeted on Sunday that it was "objective complete" for Dortmund as they followed up the silverware with a place at Europe's top table next term, a result that may make it easier for the club to keep the likes of Sancho and Erling Haaland, two of Europe's most coveted young players.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.