EPL

Bale can revive his career after leaving Real Madrid, says Giggs

By Sports Desk October 01, 2020

Gareth Bale can rediscover his best form after leaving Real Madrid for Tottenham, according to his Wales coach Ryan Giggs.

The 31-year-old completed a return to Tottenham last month on an initial season-long loan, seven years after swapping the two clubs for a world-record fee at the time.

He won 13 trophies during his time in the Spanish capital but struggled for appearances over the past two seasons following a breakdown in relations with Zinedine Zidane and a lack of fitness.

However, Giggs is hopeful that Bale - who has been left out of Wales' latest squad as he works his way back from a knee injury - will benefit from a return "home".

"He will play more regularly than he did at Madrid," said Giggs ahead of next week's England friendly and the subsequent Nations League double-header with Republic of Ireland and Bulgaria.

"I think it's a good move for Gareth, it's good for Spurs and good for the Premier League in general, to have someone like that who we can watch every week.

"He's at a club he knows well with a very good manager and I think he's said himself it's like going back home."

The versatile forward started training with Tottenham this week for the first time since heading back to north London, having sustained a knee injury while on international duty a month ago.

He will be a key part of Wales' squad for next year's rearranged Euro 2020 and Giggs believes his side will only benefit from having a fully fit Bale in their ranks.

"It will be so much better if he is playing regularly. He will be sharper, will be able to play those two games in a short space of time," said Giggs.

"He's been able to manage it and produce performances because he looks after himself, because of his quality and the experience he's got. But it will be so much better when he is playing regularly."

Related items

  • Barcelona still haven't compensated me or called to say I'm dismissed, Setien claims Barcelona still haven't compensated me or called to say I'm dismissed, Setien claims

    Former Barcelona coach Quique Setien claims the club still have not compensated him for his early dismissal, or even called to inform of his contract termination three months on.

    Setien arrived at Barca in January as Ernesto Valverde's replacement, signing on a contract until 2022 as the club hoped to reconnect with their philosophy of exciting, possession-based football.

    However, Setien's time at Barca was fraught with problems, from an apparently strained relationship with talisman Lionel Messi that reportedly spread to other members of the squad, to underwhelming results and performances on the pitch.

    The culmination of numerous issues at the club was the 8-2 humiliation by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-final, a result that contributed to Messi's desire to leave and effectively spelled the end for Setien in August.

    He was swiftly replaced by Ronald Koeman, who himself is struggling to oversee an improvement, though Setien opened legal proceedings against Barca the following month as he alleged that he and his coaching staff were only given official notification of their contract terminations in September via Burofax.

    More than three months on from his initial dismissal and Setien is claiming Barca still have not spoken to him directly about his sacking or paid compensation, though his staff did reach agreements with the club in the past week.

    "Barca have not compensated me, nor have they offered me anything," Setien told COPE's El Partidazo show. "They have not even called me to tell me that I am dismissed.

    "It's evident that the club is going through a worrying moment, something that when you arrive is clearly perceived and which directly affects sports performance.

    "You always believe that from within you may be able to help solve it, but for us, despite putting everything on our side, it has been impossible."

  • Jimenez hopes to return 'soon' from fractured skull as Wolves star provides update Jimenez hopes to return 'soon' from fractured skull as Wolves star provides update

    Raul Jimenez hopes he can return to action "soon" but will remain under observation for the time being after suffering a fractured skull against Arsenal on Sunday.

    Wolves claimed a 2-1 win at Emirates Stadium but the occasion was soured early on by a sickening injury sustained by the Mexican.

    In just the fifth minute, Jimenez contested an aerial duel with David Luiz and the pair clashed heads.

    He required roughly 10 minutes of medical attention before he was eventually carried away on a stretcher and taken to hospital for checks.

    It was discovered he suffered a fracture to his skull and underwent an operation that night.

    Wolves released a statement on Monday confirming the procedure had taken place and that he was "comfortable" following the surgery – they were hesitant to outline a recovery period.

    Jimenez has, understandably, also stopped short of setting a target as he provided a first personal update on social media.

    He wrote: "Thanks for your support messages. I will be under observation and I hope to return to the pitch soon."

    Mexico international Jimenez has been an integral part of Wolves' team since joining from Benfica, initially on loan, in 2018.

    He has scored 34 times in 86 Premier League appearances, while he also impressed on the European stage last term with 10 in 15 Europa League outings as Wolves reached the quarter-finals.

  • Conte's rotten win rate, Mane in need of a goal – Champions League in Opta numbers Conte's rotten win rate, Mane in need of a goal – Champions League in Opta numbers

    Matchday five of the Champions League could mean qualification for the last 16 for some - and spell trouble for others.

    Bayern Munich and Manchester City are already through, but their respective opponents, Atletico Madrid and Porto, could do with positive results.

    Real Madrid recorded a valuable win at Inter last time out but must do better against Shakhtar Donetsk than they did on matchday one, while the Nerazzurri themselves know nothing but a victory at Borussia Monchengladbach will do.

    Liverpool need just a point at home to Ajax to progress, but with injury problems mounting and a 2-0 home loss to Atalanta last week, their progress no longer looks to be such plain sailing.

    Shakhtar Donetsk v Real Madrid: Zidane's men aim to qualify against goal-shy opponents

    Shakhtar's 3-2 win at Madrid was a serious shock, one that became more apparent as they lost their latest two games by four or more goals without scoring. Only Malmo and Red Star Belgrade have ever done so in three consecutive matches.

    Indeed, Shakhtar have failed to score with each of their 23 shots since netting their third in the Spanish capital.

    Madrid know a victory will guarantee their place in the knockouts for the 24th season in a row, a competition record. Their form might be inconsistent, but they have lost only one of their previous seven away games against Ukrainian opponents – a 2-0 defeat to Dynamo Kiev – since March 1999.

     

    Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich: Holders could match club record – but without Lewandowski

    Bayern Munich will match a club-record seven away wins in a row in the Champions League with victory at Atletico Madrid. They have won their previous six by an aggregate score of 27-7.

    Diego Simeone has lost three of his five meetings with Bayern in this competition, but Atleti have only been beaten once at home in Europe in their previous 24 games.

    Robert Lewandowski needs just one goal to surpass Raul in the all-time goalscoring list in the tournament, having reached 71 against Salzburg. However, with the striker missing this contest, Atleti may fancy their chances of beating Bayern at home for the third time in a row.

    Borussia Monchengladbach v Inter: Can Conte fix his Champions League woes?

    Since losing the first meeting in 1971, Borussia Monchengladbach have gone four games unbeaten against Inter.

    This season marks the first occasion Inter have ever failed to win any of their opening four Champions League matches, and they are at risk of losing three in a row in the group stage for the first time.

    Indeed, Antonio Conte has won only 20 per cent of his Champions League games in charge of the Nerazzurri, the lowest ratio of any of his predecessors over at least five games in the competition. Fail to win in Germany, and Inter are out.

     

    Porto v Manchester City: Imperious defence meets clinical attack

    Porto have lost three games in a row against Manchester City 9-2 on aggregate and are winless in five previous meetings with English opponents.

    Pep Guardiola's side have already kept three clean sheets this term, one more than they managed in nine Champions League matches in 2019-20.

    Porto, however, have scored with 25.8 per cent of their shots this season, a tally only bettered by Gladbach (28.6 per cent).

    Liverpool v Ajax: Mane must find magic touch

    Ajax and Liverpool have not met at Anfield since 1966-67, when the Eredivisie side won the tie 7-3 on aggregate. That was the last occasion the Reds lost to a Dutch side (they have played 14 such games since).

    Ajax are unbeaten in 11 away games in the Champions League, their best run since March 1997, and they have not lost in their latest five visits to England in this competition.

    Liverpool, who need a point to progress, could do with Sadio Mane finding form. The forward has scored only once at home in his previous 10 appearances in this tournament, going 426 minutes without finding the net in that run.

     

    Other fixtures:

    Lokomotiv Moscow v Salzburg

    20 – Of the 20 shots attempted between these sides in their matchday-one meeting – which ended in a 2-2 draw - 15 of them were by Salzburg. Indeed, Lokomotiv Moscow scored twice from just three shots on target in the game.

    50 – Since the start of last season, Salzburg's 10 games in the Champions League group stages have seen 50 goals scored (23 for, 27 against), the most of any club. Salzburg have won just two of those 10 games (D2 L6).

     

    Atalanta v Midtjylland

    3 – Midtjylland have lost all three of their previous games against Italian opponents in European competition, conceding 13 goals and scoring just one in reply.

    1 – Atalanta have only failed to score in one of their last 12 games in the Champions League (25 goals in total), although this did come in their most recent home game in the competition, losing by five goals to Liverpool.

     

    Marseille v Olympiacos

    13 – Marseille have lost their last 13 Champions League matches – a competition record – scoring just six goals and conceding 29.

    10 – The Ligue 1 side (six) and Olympiacos (eight) are the only two teams in the Champions League in 2020-21 yet to attempt at least 10 shots on target, with the Greek team managing just one across their previous two matches against Man City.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.