Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player

By Sports Desk September 22, 2020

Roma have been punished with a 3-0 defeat for fielding an ineligible player against Hellas Verona in their Serie A opener on Saturday.

Lega Serie A announced on Tuesday that Roma used a player over the age of 22 who had not been registered on their 25-man list with the league.

According to widespread reports, the administrative error relates to Amadou Diawara, who turned 23 in July.

The game at the Marc'Antonio Bentegodi finished goalless but Roma will return to zero points for the season following their sanction.

Verona head coach Ivan Juric was fined €5,000 for giving his team instructions from the stands while serving a touchline ban.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Mbappe eyes Real Madrid, Neymar wants PSG stay Rumour Has It: Mbappe eyes Real Madrid, Neymar wants PSG stay

    Kylian Mbappe seems set to leave Paris Saint-Germain.

    Mbappe's future with the Ligue 1 giants is a constant talking point with the star forward coming out of contract in 2022.

    And it seems the 21-year-old wants an exit.

     

    TOP STORY – MBAPPE WANTS PSG EXIT

    Mbappe wants to leave PSG next year, according to OKdiario.

    The report says the France international wants a smooth transfer to Real Madrid, otherwise he will make a move for free in 2022.

    Mbappe has helped PSG win three straight Ligue 1 titles since his arrival, initially on loan, from Monaco in 2017.

    PSG have won 64 of 81 Ligue 1 games with Mbappe from 2017-18 onwards, while recording 22 victories in 30 without him.

    In that period they have averaged 2.9 goals for per game with him, compared to 2.5 without him.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Another PSG star coming out of contract in 2022 is Neymar. However, in good news for the Ligue 1 giants, the forward wants to extend his contract, according to Foot Mercato, which says Neymar was ready to sign a five-year deal under the same financial conditions earlier in 2020.

    - Manchester United could be set to bolster their midfield ahead of next season. Bild reports the Premier League club are in talks with Milan's Hakan Calhanoglu, who it says rejected Juventus. United could sign Calhanoglu for free with his contract expiring at the season's end.

    - Another transfer race has reportedly not gone Manchester United's way. Fabrizio Romano says Manchester City will sign 18-year-old Filip Stevanovic from Partizan for £7.2million (€8m), including add-ons.

    - Staying at Manchester City and ESPN says Barcelona will again attempt to sign defender Eric Garcia in January. Garcia was linked with a return to the LaLiga giants earlier this year, but the report adds the incoming president will have to approve any potential deal.

    - Atletico Madrid are pushing hard to sign Valencia midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia, according to Le 10 Sport.

  • Donnarumma cleared for return ahead of Milan's trip to Udinese Donnarumma cleared for return ahead of Milan's trip to Udinese

    Milan are set to be boosted by the return of Gianluigi Donnarumma after the goalkeeper tested negative for coronavirus.

    Donnarumma, 21, missed a Serie A draw against Roma and Thursday's Europa League victory over Sparta Prague after contracting COVID-19.

    The goalkeeper, though, could return as soon as Sunday's trip to Udinese after Milan confirmed the Italy international had tested negative.

    Milan also announced Jens Petter Hauge and Matteo Gabbia had tested negative, though the latter will undergo further screening on Sunday.

    "Gianluigi Donnarumma and Jens Petter Hauge, who had been asymptomatic, have tested negative following further testing," a Milan statement read on Friday.

    "The local health authorities have been informed and both players are authorised to return to training."

    Milan have made a fine start to the Serie A season, sitting top of the table after winning four and drawing one of their first five games.

    Donnarumma has a 90.9 save percentage in four league games in 2020-21. His best in a Serie A campaign is 76.4 in 2016-17.

  • Barca boss Koeman warned by Garcia over Depay pursuit: Remind me to tackle him! Barca boss Koeman warned by Garcia over Depay pursuit: Remind me to tackle him!

    Lyon boss Rudi Garcia says he "will tackle Ronald Koeman when the time is right" over the Barcelona head coach's public courting of Dutch forward Memphis Depay.

    Koeman made no secret of his desire to sign the Netherlands international during the recent transfer window but a deal failed to materialise, despite the player agreeing personal terms.

    The ex-Netherlands boss revealed earlier this month he remains hopeful of signing Depay, describing the attacker as a "great player" who can provide Barca with something different.

    However, Garcia has not taken kindly to Koeman's comments over a player who remains under contract with the Ligue 1 side until the end of the campaign.

    "Remind me to tackle Koeman when the moment is right," he said at a news conference on Friday ahead of Lyon's league trip to Lille this weekend. 

    "It's not the right moment yet, but when it is, I'll do it. We'll see what happens."

    Barca have been tipped to make a fresh approach for Depay when the transfer window reopens in January.

    He has been directly involved in eight Ligue 1 goals in eight outings this term - three more than any other player - and only team-mate Leo Dubois has created as many chances (24).

    Since making his Ligue 1 debut in January 2017, meanwhile, only Paris Saint-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe has scored and assisted more times (108) than Depay's 83 goal involvements.

    Asked if Depay will move on in a little over two months' time, Garcia said: "We'll have to wait and see how things go. 

    "He's not leaving for definite, but there will probably be clubs in for him soon."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.