EPL

Arteta: Aubameyang stayed because Arsenal is an 'incredible club' as big as Barcelona & Inter

By Sports Desk September 18, 2020

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang signed a new deal with Arsenal because he is at an incredible football club as big as those looking to prise him away, according to Mikel Arteta.

Aubameyang on Tuesday signed a new three-year contract with the Gunners. Barcelona were said to have made a concrete offer for his services, with Inter also reported to be interested.

Having previously been thought to be considering his future prior to Arteta's arrival as manager in December, Aubameyang is now tied to Arsenal until June 2023.

However, Arteta rejected talk of him being the primary reason in Aubameyang's decision to stay.

The Spaniard told a media conference ahead of Saturday's Premier League clash with West Ham: "I think the big reason why Auba is staying is because we have an incredible football team, football club.

"We have some fantastic people working here and because he feels as well how much love he's got from the fans.

"I played my part, which is part of my job to explain what we are trying to do and how important he was going to be and what we are building and that's it.

"The size of our club is as big as those names [Barca, Inter] and that's why I'm saying the most important thing is the football club, what we inspire, who we are as a club and what we can achieve in the future as well and how we explain what we are trying to do to make sure the players believe in our project.

"It's a joy to work with him, we have a really transparent relationship. We've been very clear with each other what we are trying to do, how big of a part he was in my plans for now and for the future and the way he trains, the way he behaves himself, the way he performs is exactly what I want from him.

"I want him to do that again consistently in the next few years."

Arsenal are poised to add to their squad with the signing of Dijon goalkeeper Runar Alex Runarsson, with Arteta - who dismissed questions about potential moves for midfielders Houssem Aouar and Thomas Partey - indicating an announcement is imminent.

Runarsson is set to replace Emiliano Martinez, who left for Aston Villa this week.

Arteta added: "Obviously with the departure of Emi, which is a big loss, we have to replace him and we've been looking in the market and I think we'll be shortly in a position to announce our new signing."

Related items

  • Barcelona still haven't compensated me or called to say I'm dismissed, Setien claims Barcelona still haven't compensated me or called to say I'm dismissed, Setien claims

    Former Barcelona coach Quique Setien claims the club still have not compensated him for his early dismissal, or even called to inform of his contract termination three months on.

    Setien arrived at Barca in January as Ernesto Valverde's replacement, signing on a contract until 2022 as the club hoped to reconnect with their philosophy of exciting, possession-based football.

    However, Setien's time at Barca was fraught with problems, from an apparently strained relationship with talisman Lionel Messi that reportedly spread to other members of the squad, to underwhelming results and performances on the pitch.

    The culmination of numerous issues at the club was the 8-2 humiliation by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-final, a result that contributed to Messi's desire to leave and effectively spelled the end for Setien in August.

    He was swiftly replaced by Ronald Koeman, who himself is struggling to oversee an improvement, though Setien opened legal proceedings against Barca the following month as he alleged that he and his coaching staff were only given official notification of their contract terminations in September via Burofax.

    More than three months on from his initial dismissal and Setien is claiming Barca still have not spoken to him directly about his sacking or paid compensation, though his staff did reach agreements with the club in the past week.

    "Barca have not compensated me, nor have they offered me anything," Setien told COPE's El Partidazo show. "They have not even called me to tell me that I am dismissed.

    "It's evident that the club is going through a worrying moment, something that when you arrive is clearly perceived and which directly affects sports performance.

    "You always believe that from within you may be able to help solve it, but for us, despite putting everything on our side, it has been impossible."

  • Ronaldo nominated for UEFA TOTY for 17th straight year as Bayern dominate Ronaldo nominated for UEFA TOTY for 17th straight year as Bayern dominate

    Cristiano Ronaldo has been nominated for the UEFA Men's Team of the Year for a 17th successive year but unsurprisingly it is Champions League winners Bayern Munich who dominate.

    UEFA announced its shortlist for fan voting on Tuesday and Bayern led the way in terms of nominations, with 10 players – including new Liverpool signing Thiago Alcantara – up for inclusion.

    The 50-name shortlist was determined by UEFA on the basis of the players' respective performances in European and domestic competition throughout 2020.

    Bayern claimed European club football's biggest prize for a sixth time in August, beating Paris Saint-Germain 1-0 at the Estadio da Luz as the Champions League's delayed latter stages were completed in Lisbon because of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Kingsley Coman, scorer of the winning goal in the final, is among the Bayern players nominated, while Robert Lewandowski – the top-scorer with 15 last term – seems a likely bet for a place in the final XI.

    Ronaldo is present yet again, the 17th year in a row in which he has been nominated, as he hopes to extend his record of 14 inclusions in the line-up. He is four clear of Lionel Messi, who is also in the running again.

    Alphonso Davies, 20, is the youngest nominee while the oldest is 36-year-old Thiago Silva, who helped PSG reach the Champions League final before joining Chelsea in pre-season.

    The Premier League and Bundesliga are the most-represented leagues with 15 players to have at some point this year played in either division.

    UEFA also revealed the shortlist for the Women's Team of the Year, with Women's Champions League winners Lyon having 13 players – including the since-departed Lucy Bronze – in contention.

  • Jimenez hopes to return 'soon' from fractured skull as Wolves star provides update Jimenez hopes to return 'soon' from fractured skull as Wolves star provides update

    Raul Jimenez hopes he can return to action "soon" but will remain under observation for the time being after suffering a fractured skull against Arsenal on Sunday.

    Wolves claimed a 2-1 win at Emirates Stadium but the occasion was soured early on by a sickening injury sustained by the Mexican.

    In just the fifth minute, Jimenez contested an aerial duel with David Luiz and the pair clashed heads.

    He required roughly 10 minutes of medical attention before he was eventually carried away on a stretcher and taken to hospital for checks.

    It was discovered he suffered a fracture to his skull and underwent an operation that night.

    Wolves released a statement on Monday confirming the procedure had taken place and that he was "comfortable" following the surgery – they were hesitant to outline a recovery period.

    Jimenez has, understandably, also stopped short of setting a target as he provided a first personal update on social media.

    He wrote: "Thanks for your support messages. I will be under observation and I hope to return to the pitch soon."

    Mexico international Jimenez has been an integral part of Wolves' team since joining from Benfica, initially on loan, in 2018.

    He has scored 34 times in 86 Premier League appearances, while he also impressed on the European stage last term with 10 in 15 Europa League outings as Wolves reached the quarter-finals.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.