EPL

There is no story – Mourinho defends Alli substitution

By Sports Desk September 16, 2020

Jose Mourinho insisted there is "no story" over his decision to substitute Dele Alli at half-time during Tottenham's defeat to Everton.

Spurs started their Premier League campaign in disappointing fashion on Sunday, going down to Dominic Calvert-Lewin's header in a 1-0 home defeat.

Alli, who saw an effort saved by England team-mate Jordan Pickford during the first half, only featured for the opening 45 minutes before being replaced by Moussa Sissoko.

However, Mourinho was adamant the decision was made with the team in mind and has no reflection on his relationship with Alli.

"The change at half-time was not the first time in my career, won't be the last time," Mourinho told a news conference on Wednesday.

"The last one was with Eric Dier against Olympiacos when I took him off after 25 or 30 minutes. When I do these kinds of things, I always do it for the team, not against the player.

"In some cases, the option was proven right, in some other cases proven wrong. In this case, it didn't work. The team in the second half was not better than the first half.

"That's my job to make decisions to try to make the best for the team when I am not happy with the performance. There is no story.

"Dele is a very polite guy. Very calm. I think he's a bit introspective, when you think a lot about things. So I think the way he reacted was [like] Dele.

"He was quiet, was sad but in the end after the game he was just one of many. But again, I repeat, he's a good boy. Very, very polite. Good boy, really good boy."

Dier was the subject of an early change in Mourinho's first home game in charge of Spurs against Olympiacos last year, and the 26-year-old dismissed the suggestion Alli would be negatively affected by the decision.

"He took me off after 30 minutes, even worse!" Dier told reporters. "I think Dele is fine. We're big boys.

"Football is not a nice world, it's all about results and performances. Dele is not the first to be taken off at half-time. That's a thing that can happen.

"If you want to be a big club or a big player, it's about the way you react and move forward. Knowing Dele and his mentality, he'll work even harder and try to push on."

Reports on Tuesday suggested Alli could be used as a potential makeweight in a deal to bring Gareth Bale back to Spurs from Real Madrid.

Negotiations between Tottenham and Madrid are ongoing, though Bale's agent Jonathan Barnett refused to confirm to Stats Perform News if a deal was close.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool to sign Diogo Jota, Alex Telles agrees Man Utd deal Rumour Has It: Liverpool to sign Diogo Jota, Alex Telles agrees Man Utd deal

    Liverpool's transfer activity is ramping up.

    After securing the services of Spanish midfielder Thiago Alcantara, Diogo Jota is reportedly next on the list.

    Could there be more arrivals?

     

    TOP STORY – JOTA LIVERPOOL BOUND

    Premier League champions Liverpool are set to complete the signing of Wolves star Diogo Jota, according to Goal.

    Liverpool announced the arrival of Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich on Friday as they look to retain their Premier League crown in 2020-21.

    Now, Jurgen Klopp's men are poised to bring former Atletico Madrid forward Jota to Anfield amid widespread speculation.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - RMC claims Porto full-back Alex Telles has agreed terms with Manchester United over a five-year deal. However, Paris Saint-Germain are also considering a move for the 27-year-old Brazilian following Juan Bernat's knee injury.

    - Liverpool have enquired about Schalke star Ozan Kabak, reports Chris Williams. Bundesliga strugglers Schalke are reluctant to sell the 20-year-old centre-back.

    Atletico Madrid are finalising a deal for Bayern Munich utility Javier Martinez, says Marca. Martinez played for Athletic Bilbao before joining Bundesliga powerhouse Bayern in 2012.

    - The Daily Mail claims Manchester City are eyeing Sevilla defender Jules Kounde as an alternative to Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly. Pep Guardiola's City have been tipped to sign Koulibaly, though they have struggled to find an agreement with Napoli as PSG reportedly circle.

    Milan have overtaken Barcelona in the race to sign Lyon captain Memphis Depay, according to Sky Italia. Tipped to reunite with former Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman at Barca, Depay could now join Milan in a swap deal involving Lucas Paqueta.

    - The front page of Saturday's Mundo Deportivo says Barca are looking to sell Nelson Semedo to fund new arrivals, with Ajax sensation and Bayern target Sergino Dest, City defender Eric Garcia and Depay wanted.

    - Goal confirmed Juventus are working to bring Everton forward Moise Kean back to Turin in addition to signing Roma's Edin Dzeko. Juve are interested in a loan deal, though Everton are asking for a permanent transfer or loan with an obligation to buy.

  • Serie A: Are Inter ready to end Juventus' dominance? Serie A: Are Inter ready to end Juventus' dominance?

    Juventus' faltering end to their Serie A campaign saw Inter finish just one point behind the Bianconeri in 2019-20.

    Antonio Conte's side had looked like genuine title challengers in the first half of the season, yet a poor run pre-lockdown saw them all but fall out of contention before a late charge – combined with Juve's inconsistencies – made things tight after the title was already wrapped up.

    Yet heading into Conte's second season, there should be genuine optimism at San Siro.

    Inter may have failed to win the Europa League – going down to serial champions Sevilla in the final – but with Romelu Lukaku and Lautaro Martinez, along with some promising new additions, they look all set for a strong title tilt this time around.

    Juve, under the tutelage of Andrea Pirlo in the wake of Maurizio Sarri's sacking, still have the Cristiano Ronaldo factor, though there is a feeling the club's dominance of Serie A may finally be waning. 

    Using Opta data, we take a look at what Inter need to improve on if they are to seriously challenge in 2020-21.

    CONTE'S SECOND-SEASON SYNDROME

    Despite Inter's second-placed finish in Serie A, there was some doubt that Conte would in fact remain their head coach heading into this season.

    Indeed, in early August – prior to the final stages of the Europa League taking place in Germany – Conte told DAZN: "There's no recognition of the work I've done, and I've found very little protection from the club. None whatsoever. There will be things to discuss with the president, but he's in China right now..."

    However, Conte has stayed, and will look to build on a promising first campaign.

    Inter's haul of 82 points last season was their best tally in Serie A since 2009-10. It also meant Inter were the eighth side since 1994-95 to not win the Scudetto after managing 82 points or more.

    Yet with the last two club teams Conte has coached, there has been a decline in his second campaign.

    In Conte's first season at Juve in 2011-12, his side won the Serie A title without losing a game – Ilario Castagner and Fabio Capello were the only coaches to have previously managed this in Italy's top flight.

    Juve lost five times in Serie A in 2012-13 but still won the title, and there was a similar story at Chelsea. The Blues won the Premier League with 93 points in 2016-17, losing only five games, but in Conte's second term, Chelsea finished fifth, losing on 10 occasions.

    If Inter truly are to go one step further than last season, then Conte will need to avoid any noticeable dip.

    THE STAR STRIKERS

    Ronaldo's 31 Serie A goals ultimately proved the difference for Juve last season, with the 35-year-old turning in more match-winning moments.

    Valuable support also came from Juve's other main forward, Paulo Dybala, who netted 11 goals and provided six assists.

    Conte, on the other hand, often complained over a lack of clinical finishing from his side at times last term, though Lukaku and Martinez more than did their fair share.

    They scored a combined 37 goals – Lukaku netting 23 and Martinez 14 – providing two and three assists respectively.

    It was still five fewer goals than Ronaldo and Dybala accumulated, though, while Juve's strike partners also boasted better link-up statistics.

    In total, Dybala found Ronaldo 121 times across the campaign, crafting 31 chances for his team-mate – compare that with Martinez creating just 11 for Lukaku.

    Ronaldo did not fully return the favour, with only nine chances created for Dybala by the former Real Madrid star, while Lukaku provided 14 chances for Martinez.

    MORE CLEAN SHEETS REQUIRED

    Inter ended the 2019-20 season with the best defence in Serie A, conceding only 36 goals, but that does not tell the whole story.

    Conte's side managed just 14 clean sheets across the campaign – since 2004-05, only Juve, in 2019-20, have won Serie A with fewer than 15 shut outs.

    In Milan Skriniar, Conte has a commanding centre-half who is not yet near his prime, while Diego Godin - if he stays - is a reliable older head and Stefan de Vrij has impressed, but as a unit they were sometimes liable to defensive lapses which, in matches where Inter's strike force failed to make the most of their opportunities, ultimately cost the Nerazzurri.

    Under the guidance of Conte from 2011 to 2014, Juve kept 21, 19 and 22 clean sheets respectively in those three seasons.

    SAN SIRO TROUBLES?

    Inter were outstanding away from home in Serie A last season, collecting more points on the road than any other side (43), winning 13 matches, drawing four times and losing just twice.

    They were only the second club with 13 or more away wins in a single campaign to not win the title, after Napoli, who did so in both 2016-17 and 2017-18.

    However, it was a different story at home, where the Nerazzurri picked up just 39 points – 11 less than Juve's total of 50.

    Inter must improve their efficiency at San Siro if they are to end Juve's dominance of Italian football, as no Scudetto-winning side has ever claimed the title with fewer than 13 wins at home since 20 teams have been in the top flight.

  • Seattle Sounders 3-0 Los Angeles FC: MLS champions go top as Lodeiro sets record Seattle Sounders 3-0 Los Angeles FC: MLS champions go top as Lodeiro sets record

    Nicolas Lodeiro's record-setting brace inspired Seattle Sounders to a 3-0 win over Los Angeles FC as the MLS champions moved top of the Western Conference.

    Lodeiro scored two first-half penalties to fuel the Sounders, who are a point clear of Sporting Kansas City in the west after 11 matches.

    Seattle playmaker Lodeiro has now converted all 14 of his penalties during the regular season, the most by any player with a 100 per cent record in MLS history, per Opta.

    Raul Ruidiaz completed the scoring with eight minutes remaining on Friday as the Sounders continued their ruthless form after humiliating San Jose Earthquakes 7-1 last time out.

    The Sounders opened the scoring via Lodeiro's penalty in the 29th minute following Dejan Jakovic's handball in Seattle.

    LAFC goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega was forced to collect the ball from the back of the net again four minutes later when Lodeiro converted another spot-kick, this time after Latif Blessing's foul.

    Sounders topscorer Ruidiaz netted his seventh goal of the season in the 82nd minute to secure maximum points at CenturyLink Field.

    Reigning Supporters' Shield holders LAFC have now lost three of their last four matches by 3-0 scorelines. They had lost by three or more goals just twice in their first 79 games – including play-offs – according to Opta. They are sixth in the west, six points behind Seattle.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.