EPL

Van de Beek relishing 'really big opportunity' to become Man Utd's next Dutch star

By Sports Desk September 16, 2020

Donny van de Beek is relishing his "really big opportunity" to become Manchester United's next Dutch star after joining the club from Ajax.

The 23-year-old arrived at Old Trafford earlier this month on an initial five-year deal that could eventually be worth £39.1million (€44m).

He will be the 13th player from the Netherlands to represent United - a list that includes greats such as Jaap Stam, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Edwin van der Sar.

And Van de Beek is out to write his own name in United folklore after growing up watching some of his compatriots win major honours for the club.

"I watched United a lot [when I was younger]," he told club magazine Inside United. "A lot of Dutch players have played here and this was nice to watch if you're a young kid and you see the Dutch players there.

"Daley [Blind], Edwin, Robin van Persie… you see them. They won a lot of titles and United always played nice football, which was always good to see."

Van de Beek is looking forward to playing at Old Trafford for the first time on Saturday when United host Crystal Palace in their Premier League opener.

However, the Ajax academy product admits it will not be the same playing at the iconic stadium without any supporters present due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"Old Trafford is an amazing stadium," he said. "The nicest thing will be when the fans are there too and I cannot wait to play for the first time in front of them.

"I hope to see them soon in the stadium because for our team they will give us a lot of power when we can have them with us.

"Everyone has helped me a lot and wanted to make me feel at home and this is really good for me and it has given me the confidence to play.

"It's a family club, I feel this already from the first seconds I have been here."

Van de Beek played a part in last weekend's friendly defeat to Aston Villa and is expected to slot straight into a youthful United XI against Palace later this week.

"There are a lot of young players in the group, around my age, and I think this is a really big opportunity for me to help the team," he said. "I cannot wait to play many games with them. 

"It's always good to play with these kinds of players, you can learn from everybody. Everybody has their own qualities and you have to pick things up from them. 

"I'm really happy I can play with them. That is what I want and I hope together we can make a really nice future for the club."

Related items

  • Ansu Fati takes Barcelona's number 22 shirt and has buy-out clause raised to €400m Ansu Fati takes Barcelona's number 22 shirt and has buy-out clause raised to €400m

    Ansu Fati has officially become a member of Barcelona's first-team squad following a brilliant breakthrough campaign, with his buy-out clause raised to €400million.

    The winger will wear the number 22, which had been left vacant following Arturo Vidal's departure to Inter.

    He had previously been given the number 31 shirt, but did not officially count as a first-team player despite making 33 appearances in all competitions in 2019-20.

    Barca have also confirmed that the teenager's buy-out clause has gone up from €170m to €400m now he is a first-team player, as was agreed when Fati's deal with the club was renewed in December.

    The 17-year-old scored eight goals in total last season for Barca, and has won two caps for Spain – putting in a superb display in a 4-0 rout over Ukraine in his first international start earlier in September.

    Fati scored his penultimate LaLiga goal of last season in a 4-1 win over Villarreal in July. It was the club's 9,000th competitive strike.

    Having missed the first two games of the Ronald Koeman era due to a hip injury, Fati started against Elche in the Joan Gamper Trophy match.

    Barca, who are in the process of overhauling their squad after allowing Vidal, Arthur, Nelson Semedo and Ivan Rakitic to leave – with Luis Suarez on the verge of a move to Atletico Madrid too – start their LaLiga campaign against Villarreal on Sunday.

  • Flick still in contact with Gotze as Bayern return rumours circle Flick still in contact with Gotze as Bayern return rumours circle

    Hansi Flick acknowledged he remains in contact with Mario Gotze after rumours circulated the Germany World Cup winner could return to Bayern Munich.

    Gotze spent three years at Bayern between 2013 and 2016, winning the Bundesliga in each season and the DFB-Pokal twice, before returning to Borussia Dortmund.

    The attacking midfielder was released at the end of last season, though, after struggling to regain the form that saw him rise through the ranks at Signal Iduna Park.

    Flick was assistant to Joachim Low when Gotze scored the winning goal for Germany in the 2014 World Cup final and German publication Bild suggested the Bayern boss is keen on bringing him back to bolster his midfield, an option that has proved attractive as there is no fee involved.

    Asked at a news conference prior to Bayern's Super Cup clash with Sevilla about Gotze, Flick replied: "As far as Mario Gotze is concerned, I am still in close contact with players who played in the national team during my time. 

    "He went through a difficult phase and we spoke on the phone several times. I appreciate Mario very much and I know where he has his strengths, but he is currently not an issue for us."

    Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, a member of the World Cup-winning team, talked up Gotze's qualities.

    "Much has been said about it. Mario is a very good player who knows the Bayern environment and I think he said himself that he wanted to win the Champions League," he said. 

    "He has ambitious goals and is very ambitious. He's in good shape, even though he wasn't preparing for a team. We'll see where it ends up later. I can only say that Mario Gotze is a good player. "

    Flick, who hopes Robert Lewandowski will complete a full training session after taking a knock in the 8-0 hammering of Schalke, was asked how he felt about fans being allowed into the Puskas Arena for the annual European curtain-raiser.

    The stadium will have no more than 30 per cent capacity but there were 951 new cases of coronavirus confirmed in Hungary over the past 24 hours.

    "In Munich I almost live in a corona hotspot, so not too much has changed. No, we came to play football, decisions are made elsewhere," Flick added. 

    "We're here to play football and we aim to win the Super Cup. We know that we can win these games. 

    "I'm a coach, I'm not an advisor for things like that. I hope I have the right advice for my players. Everything else should be done by others."

  • Greenwood must 'learn how to head the ball' to become number nine, says Solskjaer Greenwood must 'learn how to head the ball' to become number nine, says Solskjaer

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer accepts Mason Greenwood is likely to become Manchester United's number nine in the future, but says the teenager must learn how to head the ball first.

    Greenwood, who superbly broke into the United first team last season, opened his goalscoring account for the new season with a late strike as a substitute in Tuesday's 3-0 away win over Luton Town in the EFL Cup.

    The England international formed a potent front three with Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford towards the end of last season and there have been calls for the 18-year-old to be given a chance down the middle, rather than playing in a wide role.

    United boss Solskjaer does see that happening in the years ahead, but feels there are some adjustments for Greenwood still to make before he takes the central role currently held by Martial.

    "He had a fantastic season last season and to get his goal now was important to him," Solskjaer said to the club's website. 

    "Marcus too. It always is with strikers, to get that confidence and feeling of scoring, to get that hunger again. 

    "So I'm very happy with that, he [Greenwood] just needs to work to get his fitness and sharpness back."

    When asked about Greenwood's position, Solskjaer added: "He can play through the middle as well.

    "I think, as a young boy, not physically grown yet, it is nice to be facing forward rather than being the number nine, the foil; being the battering ram if you like.

    "So I think he will end up as a number nine in the end, probably. But he's so good with his right and left [foot], so he can come in off his right and left, or through the middle. 

    "I scored most of my goals from just outside the post as well, I wasn't like in the middle.

    "For him to be a number nine, though, he needs to learn how to head the ball. I keep telling him that and, if he wants to do that, he's welcome to come and practice with me."

    United are back in action away to Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday in the Premier League on Saturday as they look to bounce back from their opening defeat to Crystal Palace.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.