EPL

Merson stunned Chelsea allowed Willian to join Arsenal

By Sports Desk September 15, 2020

Paul Merson is stunned Chelsea allowed forward Willian to sign for rivals Arsenal after he shone on his debut for the Gunners.

Willian joined Arsenal on a three-year deal last month after the expiration of his contract at Chelsea, who had offered an extension but were not prepared to match what was on the table from Mikel Arteta's side.

The 32-year-old made a magnificent start to his Arsenal career on Saturday, racking up two assists in a comfortable 3-0 Premier League win away to promoted Fulham.

Former Arsenal star Merson feels Chelsea have made a big mistake, saying there is no guarantee manager Frank Lampard will be afforded the time to watch the likes of Kai Havertz reach his peak.

"I cannot believe Chelsea let Willian go," Merson said to Sky Sports.

"I know they have gone out and get special players, but there is nothing to say they are going to hit the ground running. 

"In Willian, you have got someone there who is ready-made. I like who they have signed, but they cost a lot of money, and their wages are probably the same as Willian.

"Frank Lampard has now. He has not got four years. That's management.

"I'm not being horrible. Even if Frank wins the league this year, it does not mean he is going to be there in four years' time! We know that, and how it changes.

"Who is to say this is not going to take time for Chelsea? And I don't think they've got time at the moment."

Despite liking Arteta's methods and Arsenal's performance at Fulham, Merson thinks his former club are unlikely to be battling it out with the likes Liverpool, the Manchester clubs and Chelsea.

"It was a great result for Arsenal," he said. "These are the dangerous games.

"You don't want to play promoted teams when they come up, you want to play them in January when it's hit home how hard it is, and they have a couple injuries.

"Gabriel makes his debut, is solid, and scores a goal. It was a good performance. I like Arteta, you can see what he's trying to do, playing a certain way, as a team and with a high tempo.

"I like what they are doing, but top four? I just think the gulf is too big. 

"There's three or four leagues within the Premier League. I think the top four is the top four in their own league, then you have got your Arsenal, Tottenham and maybe even Everton now with Leicester. 

"Then you have probably got another little league in mid-table before you get to the lower ends. It's quite interesting, and that's why it's the best league in the world."

Related items

  • Messi? I crossed my fingers that he would stay at Barca – Roberto Messi? I crossed my fingers that he would stay at Barca – Roberto

    Barcelona utility Sergi Roberto said he crossed his fingers that superstar captain Lionel Messi would remain at Camp Nou.

    Messi stunned the world last month when he informed Barca of his intention to depart the LaLiga giants, with the 33-year-old intending to trigger a clause in his contract to walk away on a free transfer at the end of last season.

    However, the validity of such a stipulation was murky due to the campaign being extended by the coronavirus pandemic, and six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi ultimately opted to remain in Catalonia rather than challenge Barcelona in a legal battle.

    Asked about Messi heading into 2020-21, Roberto told RAC1: "I thought the same as all the Catalans, that it could not be true that Messi did not continue with us.

    "I cannot imagine a Barca without Leo and I crossed my fingers so that he would stay. I see him training very well. He is a very professional player and I have no doubt that he will always give 100 per cent for this shirt and this club."

    Ronald Koeman is at the helm as Barca prepare for their LaLiga opener against Villarreal on Sunday.

    Koeman replaced Quique Setien, who was only appointed in January, after Barca were dethroned by bitter rivals Real Madrid in LaLiga and humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals last season.

    "He [Koeman] has made us work a lot," Roberto said. "The training sessions have been very long.

    "We are working very well. He tells the players things clearly and that is good for the team. I fully trust the coach and all the players."

    As well as a new coach, there are changes with Barca's playing personnel following Arturo Vidal's move to Inter and Ivan Rakitic's return to Sevilla.

    Full-back Nelson Semedo is also poised to join Wolves in the Premier League, while veteran forward Luis Suarez is reportedly in discussions to swap Barca for rivals Atletico Madrid.

    "The president or the new coach must decide who they trust and who they will count on," added Roberto.

    "I have a special appreciation for Suarez. He is a player who has given a lot all these years. If he ends up leaving, Atletico will be much stronger."

  • Nelson Semedo farewells Barca ahead of reported Wolves move Nelson Semedo farewells Barca ahead of reported Wolves move

    Nelson Semedo sent a goodbye message to Barcelona ahead of his reported move to Premier League side Wolves.

    Barcelona and Portugal full-back Semedo is poised to swap the LaLiga giants for Wolves, who boast countrymen Nuno Espirito Santo, Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho, Fabio Silva, Rui Patricio, Daniel Podence, Pedro Neto, Vitinha, Roderick and Ruben Vinagre.

    As Barca look to free up salary space and raise funds, Semedo farewelled Camp Nou in an Instagram post on Tuesday.

    "Thank you very much Barcelona for giving me the opportunity to live the dream of wearing this shirt, of playing in Camp Nou, of learning and enjoying the best in the world," Semedo wrote.

    "Thank you for making me grow as a player and as a person. They were three wonderful years that I will never forget.

    "Thank my colleagues, staff, fans and all the people who helped me since I arrived until today. I wish you the best luck in the world. Eternally grateful."

    Semedo joined Barca from Portuguese giants Benfica in 2017.

    The 26-year-old won two LaLiga titles, the Copa del Rey and Supercopa de Espana during his time in Barcelona.

    Semedo made 32 LaLiga appearances and 42 across all competitions last season as Barca were dethroned by bitter rivals Real Madrid and humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.

  • Henderson revels in dream Man Utd debut Henderson revels in dream Man Utd debut

    Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson said he fulfilled a dream after making his debut for the Red Devils.

    Henderson started in place of regular number one David de Gea and kept a clean sheet as United defeated Luton Town 3-0 in the EFL Cup third round on Tuesday.

    After starring on loan at Sheffield United last season, Henderson returned to Old Trafford and signed a five-year contract last month.

    The 23-year-old – a product of the club's academy – impressed on his debut at Championship side Luton, producing a fine save to deny Tom Lockyer from close range during the closing stages before Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood sealed the victory following Juan Mata's first-half penalty.

    Reacting afterwards, Henderson wrote via Twitter: "I dreamt about this my whole life!!

    "Unbelievable feeling to make my debut for the club I love! Clean sheet and a win to top it off!!!"

    Henderson watched from the bench as United opened their Premier League season with a shock 3-1 defeat at home to Crystal Palace last week.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United travel to Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.