Pjanic trains at Barcelona for first time after coronavirus all-clear

By Sports Desk September 12, 2020

Miralem Pjanic trained at Barcelona for the first time on Saturday after being cleared of coronavirus.

New €60million signing Pjanic tested positive for COVID-19 in August and had to go into quarantine, meaning he only arrived in Barcelona on Thursday.

He worked out at the club's training ground for the first time on Saturday, ahead of Barca's friendly against Gimnastic.

Barcelona posted photos of Pjanic and Jean-Clair Todibo, who has also been kept away from the team after a positive coronavirus test, being put through their paces.

Alongside the images, the club wrote: "[Pjanic] and [Todibo] have received the medical green light after recovering from COVID-19, and have already trained at the Ciutat Esportiva."

Pjanic was not included in a 25-man squad named by Ronald Koeman to face Nastic, but Lionel Messi was selected.

Messi only started training with his team-mates this week after failing to push through a departure from Camp Nou.

Ousmane Dembele could make his return from injury in the friendly, while maiden first-team appearances could be on the cards for new arrivals Francisco Trincao and Pedri.

Ansu Fati will not take part in the match after sustaining a right hip bruise in training on Friday, while Luis Suarez and Arturo Vidal - who are reportedly nearing respective moves to Juventus and Inter - were left out.

Related items

  • Messi? I crossed my fingers that he would stay at Barca – Roberto Messi? I crossed my fingers that he would stay at Barca – Roberto

    Barcelona utility Sergi Roberto said he crossed his fingers that superstar captain Lionel Messi would remain at Camp Nou.

    Messi stunned the world last month when he informed Barca of his intention to depart the LaLiga giants, with the 33-year-old intending to trigger a clause in his contract to walk away on a free transfer at the end of last season.

    However, the validity of such a stipulation was murky due to the campaign being extended by the coronavirus pandemic, and six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi ultimately opted to remain in Catalonia rather than challenge Barcelona in a legal battle.

    Asked about Messi heading into 2020-21, Roberto told RAC1: "I thought the same as all the Catalans, that it could not be true that Messi did not continue with us.

    "I cannot imagine a Barca without Leo and I crossed my fingers so that he would stay. I see him training very well. He is a very professional player and I have no doubt that he will always give 100 per cent for this shirt and this club."

    Ronald Koeman is at the helm as Barca prepare for their LaLiga opener against Villarreal on Sunday.

    Koeman replaced Quique Setien, who was only appointed in January, after Barca were dethroned by bitter rivals Real Madrid in LaLiga and humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals last season.

    "He [Koeman] has made us work a lot," Roberto said. "The training sessions have been very long.

    "We are working very well. He tells the players things clearly and that is good for the team. I fully trust the coach and all the players."

    As well as a new coach, there are changes with Barca's playing personnel following Arturo Vidal's move to Inter and Ivan Rakitic's return to Sevilla.

    Full-back Nelson Semedo is also poised to join Wolves in the Premier League, while veteran forward Luis Suarez is reportedly in discussions to swap Barca for rivals Atletico Madrid.

    "The president or the new coach must decide who they trust and who they will count on," added Roberto.

    "I have a special appreciation for Suarez. He is a player who has given a lot all these years. If he ends up leaving, Atletico will be much stronger."

  • 'A lack of respect and regard for stakeholders' - KSAFA demands resignation of JFF Technical Chairman Speid 'A lack of respect and regard for stakeholders' - KSAFA demands resignation of JFF Technical Chairman Speid

    The Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA) has called on JFF Technical Chairman, Rudolph Speid, to resign from the post, citing what they deem to be multiple conflicts of interest.

    Speid was appointed to the post earlier this year, but KSAFA has pointed to several other post appointments that he also holds at the same time as problematic.

    “Currently you are a member of the Board of Directors for the JFF, Chairman of the Technical Committee, leads the operations of the JFF’s Coaching School, Chairman of the newly formed Jamaica Coaches Association, member of the Leadership of the Jamaica National Premier League (JNPL) and owner / major

    shareholder in Cavaliers Soccer Club.  This long list of involvement consists of clear lines of conflict of interest,” the letter stated.

    The letter went on to point out that, as it relates to Jamaican football, the conflicts have caused an inability to view ‘important policy matters objectively’ and also took umbrage to what has been deemed a ‘lack of respect and

    regard for stakeholders.’ The body has promised to escalate the matter to the Jamaica Football Federation if Speid refused to accede to the request.

  • Nelson Semedo farewells Barca ahead of reported Wolves move Nelson Semedo farewells Barca ahead of reported Wolves move

    Nelson Semedo sent a goodbye message to Barcelona ahead of his reported move to Premier League side Wolves.

    Barcelona and Portugal full-back Semedo is poised to swap the LaLiga giants for Wolves, who boast countrymen Nuno Espirito Santo, Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho, Fabio Silva, Rui Patricio, Daniel Podence, Pedro Neto, Vitinha, Roderick and Ruben Vinagre.

    As Barca look to free up salary space and raise funds, Semedo farewelled Camp Nou in an Instagram post on Tuesday.

    "Thank you very much Barcelona for giving me the opportunity to live the dream of wearing this shirt, of playing in Camp Nou, of learning and enjoying the best in the world," Semedo wrote.

    "Thank you for making me grow as a player and as a person. They were three wonderful years that I will never forget.

    "Thank my colleagues, staff, fans and all the people who helped me since I arrived until today. I wish you the best luck in the world. Eternally grateful."

    Semedo joined Barca from Portuguese giants Benfica in 2017.

    The 26-year-old won two LaLiga titles, the Copa del Rey and Supercopa de Espana during his time in Barcelona.

    Semedo made 32 LaLiga appearances and 42 across all competitions last season as Barca were dethroned by bitter rivals Real Madrid and humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.