Oakland Athletics chief Billy Beane acquires minority stake in AZ

By Sports Desk September 04, 2020

Oakland Athletics executive vice-president Billy Beane has acquired a five-per-cent stake in Eredivise side AZ.

Beane has acted in an advisory role for AZ since 2015 and has now further strengthened his ties with the club.

He is also part of a consortium that purchased EFL side Barnsley in 2017 but is better known for his 'Moneyball' philosophy that helped the A's unearth undervalued talent and overcome higher-spending rivals in MLB.

"I am honored to formalise my role with AZ and take this next step in being part of the future of the club," he told the Dutch outfit's official website. 

"Working alongside [general manager] Robert Eenhoorn and the rest of the group here over the last five years has been an incredible experience for me and this agreement ensures the relationship will continue for the foreseeable future. 

"I'm proud of all the club has accomplished in recent years and cannot wait to get started working on the future of AZ."

AZ were second in the Eredivise when the 2019-20 season was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic and begin their new league campaign away at Utrecht on September 12.

Related items

  • Pirlo not ruling out striker swoop amid Dzeko and Scamacca links Pirlo not ruling out striker swoop amid Dzeko and Scamacca links

    Andrea Pirlo revealed he hopes to sign a striker before the transfer window closes if the right opportunity arises after Juventus beat Bologna 2-0 in Serie A on Sunday.

    Roma frontman Edin Dzeko and Sassuolo's Gianluca Scamacca – who is on loan at Genoa – have been linked with a move to Juve ahead of the February 1 deadline.

    Dzeko was left out of Roma's squad for their 4-3 win over Spezia on Saturday, leading to further speculation he could be on his way out of the club.

    Scamacca, Olivier Giroud, Fernando Llorente and Graziano Pelle have also been mentioned as potential signings for the Bianconeri.

    Pirlo said he would like to add more firepower to his squad after goals from Arthur and Weston McKennie moved the champions into fourth place in Serie A, seven points behind leaders Milan with a game in hand.

    "We are watching what happens, there is not much around," Juve head coach Pirlo told Sky Sport Italia when asked about the possibility of going into the market.

    "We do not have the obligation [to do any business], it will be a last-minute thing and if there is an opportunity to take it we will be happy."

    Arthur scored his first Juve goal in fortuitous fashion with a long-range strike that took a big deflection in the first half and McKennie sealed all three points with a header 19 minutes from time.

    Juve had 23 shots, 11 of which were on target, and Cristiano Ronaldo endured a rare off day, failing to find the back of the net with any of his five attempts.

    Pirlo warned the Turin giants must be more clinical as they go in search of more trophies after their Supercoppa Italiana triumph in midweek.

    "The important thing was to win after the satisfaction of the victory in the Supercoppa," he said.

    "We started well but missed a few too many opportunities to end the game."

    He added: "We played a good match against a team that attacks well, we were good at finding the spaces they left us."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Ozil completes Fenerbahce move after Arsenal exit BREAKING NEWS: Ozil completes Fenerbahce move after Arsenal exit

    Mesut Ozil has completed a move to Fenerbahce after negotiating his departure from Arsenal.

    World Cup winner Ozil, once Arsenal's record signing, had been excluded from Mikel Arteta's first-team plans this season and departs after seven and a half years with the Premier League club.

    The former Germany midfielder was under contract until the end of the current campaign but reached an agreement for an early termination, clearing him to sign elsewhere.

    Fener have now confirmed the arrival of Ozil, with Arsenal announcing the playmaker's departure on their official website.

    In a statement in the Gunners' announcement, Ozil said: "I'd like to thank the club for this amazing journey over the past seven-and-a-half years.

    "The support I have felt from the team and fans during my time here has been truly incredible and something I will always be grateful for.

    "Together we won trophies for the first time in years and created memories that will last a lifetime.

    "The Arsenal fans will forever remain in my heart. I'd like to thank Edu Gaspar for helping bring about a professional and dignified solution in the past few days, and I wish everyone at the club the best in their attempt to continue to bring Arsenal back to the top, where we belong."

    Having joined from Real Madrid in September 2013, Ozil made 184 Premier League appearances for Arsenal, scoring 33 goals and contributing 54 assists.

    He was a key part of Arsene Wenger's squad that finished second in the 2015-16 Premier League season, while he also started in the FA Cup final triumphs in 2014, 2015 and 2017.

    However, the 32-year-old had increasingly become a peripheral figure in recent years, initially under former Gunners boss Unai Emery before being left out entirely by Arteta. 

    His final Arsenal appearance came on March 3, 2020, when he played 89 minutes in a 1-0 win over West Ham at Emirates Stadium.

    Although he was twice named on the bench when the 2019-20 season resumed after the coronavirus-enforced break, the 32-year-old was an unused substitute against both Brighton and Hove Albion and Southampton in June.

    "Mesut's achievements at Arsenal are undisputed," Arteta said. "It was a privilege to play alongside him and, more recently, coach him.

    "His creativity and vision led to many goals during his time in the Arsenal shirt. Mesut was at the heart of many great moments for this club over the years, including those three FA Cup final wins.

    "These successes will always be part of our history. We thank Mesut and wish him all the best with Fenerbahce."

  • Chelsea 3-1 Luton Town: Abraham hits hat-trick as Kepa and Werner falter Chelsea 3-1 Luton Town: Abraham hits hat-trick as Kepa and Werner falter

    Kepa Arrizabalaga made another blunder and Timo Werner missed a penalty but Tammy Abraham's hat-trick got Chelsea past Luton Town with a 3-1 victory at Stamford Bridge.

    Abraham's quickfire double put Chelsea in control early in the FA Cup fourth-round tie on Sunday, as last season's runners up seemed to be heading for a comfortable success.

    Yet Kepa, brought in as one of seven changes made by Frank Lampard from Tuesday's defeat at Leicester City, enabled Luton to haul themselves into the contest when he failed to keep out Jordan Clark's effort.

    Abraham's third goal 16 minutes from time ultimately set up a fifth-round trip to Barnsley, though Werner's woeful run in front of goal continued when his late spot-kick was saved.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.