EPL

Former England international Barry retires at 39

By Sports Desk August 27, 2020

Gareth Barry, who holds the record for the most appearances in the Premier League, has retired at the age of 39.

The former England midfielder played for Aston Villa, Manchester City and Everton before finishing up at West Brom, where he spent two seasons in the Championship.

Barry played in 653 top-flight games and won 53 caps for his country, scoring three goals during an international career that included playing at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

He was also an unused member of Kevin Keegan's Three Lions squad at Euro 2000, having become a regular by then in the Villa first team.

Linked with a move to Liverpool at one time, Barry eventually left Villa Park in 2009 to join City, going on to win both the FA Cup and the Premier League under Roberto Mancini.

He joined Everton initially on a season-long loan before signing permanently in 2014, signing a three-year contract to complete a free transfer to Goodison Park.

West Brom was the final stop in a playing career that spanned over two decades. He was used sparingly in the 2019-20 campaign, though, with his last outing coming against Newcastle United in an FA Cup tie in March.

All four clubs he represented sent congratulatory tweets referencing his retirement on Thursday, along with the England national team and the Premier League's official account.

Related items

  • Arteta calls on Chelsea to keep faith in under-pressure Lampard Arteta calls on Chelsea to keep faith in under-pressure Lampard

    Mikel Arteta hopes Frank Lampard is given time at Chelsea as Premier League managers continue to deal with the challenges posed by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. 

    Chelsea went top of the table with a 3-1 triumph over Leeds United on December 5 but have collected just seven points in their eight games since then. 

    The worrying run included a 3-1 defeat away to Arteta's Arsenal on Boxing Day, a result that ended a seven-match streak without a win for the Gunners in the top flight. 

    Lampard insisted on Friday he does not pay any attention to speculation over his future at Stamford Bridge and has now received support from the man in charge of a rival club. 

    "I've known Frank for a few years as well and I've spent some time with him," Arteta told the media. 

    "I would like [Chelsea] to support him and give him a chance. He has huge experience as a player, he is an icon over there. 

    "He's done some really good things, but you need time and if there's something we haven't had in this calendar year, it's time to work on anything."

    Arteta, who found his own position in the spotlight during Arsenal's struggles earlier in the campaign, feels clubs will benefit in the long run if they show some patience. 

    "Fortunately, if [clubs] see what you're trying to do is going to have rewards in the future and they are a little bit patient, most of the time it pays off, if everybody is convinced that we are doing things the right way," the Spaniard said. 

    "I speak with a lot of managers and some of them have been in the game for over 30 years, and they said, 'I never experienced something like that'. This is a new game, new rules. There are so many things we cannot control. It's out of our hands in a lot of moments. 

    "I listen a lot to that because we tend to put more and more pressure and demand a lot of ourselves. It's a very strange league this season, and you can see that in many teams."

    Holders Arsenal continue their FA Cup defence on Saturday when they travel to Southampton.

    All four previous meetings between the teams in the competition have ended with Arsenal victorious; they also went on to win the trophy on three occasions, in 1979, 2003 and 2017.

    Southampton have won just one of their previous nine meetings with Arsenal in all competitions, a 3-2 league victory in December 2018.

  • Mbappe considering new long-term contract at Paris Saint-Germain Mbappe considering new long-term contract at Paris Saint-Germain

    Kylian Mbappe said he is considering a new long-term contract with Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain.

    The 22-year-old forward ended a four-game goal drought on Friday, scoring twice and setting up another as Mauricio Pochettino's side beat Montpellier 4-0.

    The France star's future has come under scrutiny during a recent loss of form, with his deal set to expire at the end of next season.

    Sporting director Leonardo confirmed to France Football this week that he was confident Mbappe and team-mate Neymar would agree to fresh terms at Parc des Princes.

    Mbappe, who has been linked with clubs including Real Madrid and Liverpool, said he would commit to a new deal if he decided his long-term future would be best spent in the French capital.

    "We are talking with the club," he told Telefoot. "I am also reflecting on it. If I sign, it will be to invest myself in the long term here.

    "I feel good here. I will soon have to make a decision. If I extend, it's so that I stay."

    Mbappe was the star performer in the win over 10-man Montpellier, PSG's fourth in a row in all competitions and their third in succession without conceding in Ligue 1.

    The champions have enjoyed an encouraging start to life under coach Mauricio Pochettino, who replaced Thomas Tuchel this month.

    "I'm really satisfied; it was a great game," said Angel Di Maria. "We had a lot of chances that we managed to take.

    "We have to adapt to a new football, but it's going well physically, and that's very important."

  • Klopp not crying over lack of Liverpool signings in January Klopp not crying over lack of Liverpool signings in January

    Jurgen Klopp acknowledges signing a centre-back would help Liverpool, yet he will not be getting frustrated over a lack of activity by the club in the January transfer window. 

    The reigning Premier League champions have been left with a shortage of options in defence due to long-term injuries to Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez, while Joel Matip has struggled for fitness. 

    However, Thursday's 1-0 defeat to Burnley saw the Reds endure a fourth successive league outing without scoring, an issue that Klopp insists would not be resolved by adding defensive reinforcements. 

    The Liverpool boss understands that the financial implications of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic make it tough to add new faces, so he instead focuses on working with the players he does have at his disposal. 

    "I'm not a five-year-old kid any more in that if I don't get what I want I start crying," Klopp told the media ahead of Sunday's FA Cup trip to Manchester United.

    "Most of the time in my life I didn't get what I wanted, to be honest, so we are all pretty much used to that. It's not like this. 

    "I'm responsible for a big part of this football club, but there are people who are responsible for the whole thing. I cannot make their decisions, I know they are with us and they support us, because they do.  

    "Now we talk about a centre-half. Yes, it would help, 100 per cent. Would we score more goals with a centre-half? I'm not sure. Would it give us a little bit more stability in specific moments? Probably, yes. 

    "But, again, it's not about that. It's not about what would be with somebody else, and I think never ever have we spoken in and around a transfer window like this about it, because I think that would then read as an excuse and we don't need that. 

    "What we have to do is improve the football we play in a decisive area with this squad, not sitting here disappointed or frustrated with some decisions. I'm not." 

    Liverpool did spend in the previous transfer window, adding Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich and Diogo Jota, who arrived from Wolves, but was sidelined by injury after a promising start. Konstantinos Tsimikas also joined from Olympiacos, though the left-back has featured sparingly.

    Klopp has used inexperienced duo Rhys Williams and Nathaniel Phillips for some games at the back, while midfielders Fabinho and Jordan Henderson have filled in at the heart of the defence too.

    "We know what we would do in an ideal world, but it is not ideal. We have to deal with this situation, this is what we all have to do," Klopp continued. 

    "A centre-half last night [against Burnley] would not have won us the game in this specific situation, so we really don't have to talk about it. 

    "I know it's a good thing to talk about - for you [the media] - but for me it's just not that important. Everything is on the table and all the things are clear - we just have to work on the football stuff." 

    Liverpool have had 87 attempts at goal since their last Premier League goal, including 27 against Burnley at Anfield as their 68-game unbeaten home run in the competition came to an end. 

    Klopp will hope for a change of fortune in the FA Cup, though the German has only reached the fifth round once during his time in charge on Merseyside. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.