EPL

Leeds United have offer for Kent 'strongly' rejected by Rangers

By Sports Desk August 21, 2020

Rangers have "strongly rejected" a bid from Leeds United for winger Ryan Kent, with the Premier League newcomers "way, way off" with their opening offer.

Leeds are looking to strengthen their squad ahead of their return to the top flight, with Kent seen as an ideal recruit to increase the attacking options available to head coach Marcelo Bielsa.

However, Rangers are understandably loathed to lose a player they only signed permanently from Liverpool less than a year ago.

Speaking ahead of Saturday's game against Kilmarnock, Gers boss Steven Gerrard confirmed Leeds' approach but made clear the Scottish club are determined to keep hold of the 23-year-old.

"Ryan's a player we admire very much here," Gerrard told the media.

"He's a player that we've seen develop at Liverpool for a long time. We bought him here on loan and he did ever so well, then we went and bought him and he's done ever so well and is progressing very, very quickly here. 

"He's in a good place and he's in good form. He's a player we want to keep hold of. 

"Yes, we have had contact from Leeds, and an opening bid has been really strongly rejected."

Kent managed seven league goals in the 2019-20 campaign for Rangers and has already scored twice at the start of the new campaign in Scotland.

When asked if Leeds would be given the same answer if they came back with an improved offer, Gerrard replied: "It depends on what that bid is, but they were way, way off with that opening bid.

"He's a player who is not for sale, we don't want to lose Ryan, he's a big part of what we've been trying to do here. 

"We want him to stay here for many, many years. But we know Premiership teams hold a lot of power - that's the reality, that's the way it is. We have to accept that. 

"But the message to Leeds is the opening bid is nowhere near the valuation of the player, and we obviously don't want to sell."

Related items

  • Pique a doubt for PSG clash after spraining knee ligament in Copa win Pique a doubt for PSG clash after spraining knee ligament in Copa win

    Barcelona are set to be without Gerard Pique once again after the club confirmed he suffered a knee ligament injury shortly after his Copa del Rey heroics against Sevilla. 

    Pique's stoppage-time header after the 90-minute mark in Wednesday's semi-final second leg saw Barca wipe out Sevilla's 2-0 lead from the first meeting last month, with Ousmane Dembele having struck early on. 

    Barca went on to win 3-0 after extra time, Martin Braithwaite getting the decisive goal five minutes after the restart to leave Sevilla – who had Fernando set off just before Pique's header – on the receiving end of a commendable comeback. 

    But it seemingly came at a cost, with Pique appearing to hurt his knee in extra time when he was forced into an awkward turn while passing back to Marc-Andre ter Stegen, who had earlier saved a penalty from Lucas Ocampos when the score was 1-0.

    Pique went down holding his knee only to eventually see out the game, suggesting the issue was not a particularly serious one. 

    But Barca confirmed on Thursday that further examinations have revealed a sprain to the internal lateral ligament in his right knee. 

    While the club said the length of his absence will be dependent on his recovery, such sprains can mean a six-week absence. 

    That could potentially rule him out of El Clasico on April 10, while it seems a strong possibility Pique will miss the second leg of Barca's Champions League last-16 tie away to Paris Saint-Germain next week. 

    PSG hold a 4-1 advantage from the first leg at Camp Nou on February 16, the match in which Pique returned from a previous knee injury sustained in November.

     

  • Bayern have financial strength to sign Haaland, claims president Hainer Bayern have financial strength to sign Haaland, claims president Hainer

    Bayern Munich would have the financial strength to sign Erling Haaland, club president Herbert Hainer says. 

    Borussia Dortmund striker Haaland is likely to be one of the most in-demand players over the coming transfer windows as he continues to thrive at Signal Iduna Park. 

    Haaland has scored 27 goals and provided seven assists in 27 games in all competitions this season. Among Bundesliga players, only Robert Lewandowski (42) has more direct goal involvements. 

    Real Madrid, Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester United and Barcelona have all been linked with the 20-year-old, while former Germany star Lothar Matthaus suggested Haaland's next logical step would be to join Bayern if he chooses to stay in Germany. 

    A release clause of €75million will reportedly come into effect next year, and Hainer believes Bayern will be in a position to compete with others for Haaland's signature despite the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic. 

    Insisting Bayern will "go even more down our successful path of signing young players with outstanding skills", having already agreed a deal to bring in Dayot Upamecano from RB Leipzig this year, Hainer told Sport1: "We are an economically very strong and healthy club. 

    "Although we're also suffering massively from the pandemic, we can always bring in players when we're convinced about them." 

    Hainer also confirmed plans to discuss new contracts with midfielder Leon Goretzka and defender Niklas Sule, whose deals expire in 2022. 

    Goretzka has regained form recently after recovering from a coronavirus infection, while Sule, who had been linked with Chelsea, has enjoyed a positive run as a makeshift right-back. 

    "Leon Goretzka has developed hugely in the last 12 months," said Hainer. "He's become one of the most important players for us. Yes, we want to extend with him." 

    He added of Sule: "He's an important player for us. We'll sit down with him in the spring."

  • Fernandes success would not have been easy for Pogba, says Nani Fernandes success would not have been easy for Pogba, says Nani

    Bruno Fernandes being hailed as the signing who turned around Manchester United's fortunes would have been difficult for Paul Pogba to take, according to Nani.

    Fernandes has received rave reviews for his incredible performances since arriving at Old Trafford from Sporting CP just over a year ago.

    The attacking midfielder has recorded 40 goal involvements – 23 goals and 17 assists – in 41 Premier League appearances, leading him to be touted as the player who can lead United back to the top.

    Former United winger Nani, a four-time Premier League winner, thinks every United squad member would have had to take stock after Fernandes' stunning impact.

    And adapting would have been particularly tough for Pogba, who was previously established as the star man.

    Nani feels Pogba and the rest of the United players have adjusted well over the past year to increasingly incorporate Fernandes' individual brilliance into better team performances and results.

    But he believes the connection between World Cup winner Pogba and Portugal international Fernandes must get stronger still.

    Nani told Stats Perform News: "There are different [types of] players on the field - you have Bruno Fernandes, a smarter attacking player, and Pogba who can do a little bit of both [attacking and defending].

    "Pogba can handle the game a bit for Bruno to go a little bit up [the pitch]. They have to try to have the connection. 

    "It is not easy, when you [Pogba] are the player for the club, the midfield star, and another player arrives to the team and starts performing so well.

    "And then [it is not easy] that everyone starts talking just about the player and, 'He made the team change, he made everything'. 

    "All of that could have a little bit of an impact in every head on the team. 

    "But what I see in the last games, the players adjust to that. They have confirmed [in ther minds] a little bit what Bruno can give to the team.

    "And Bruno is part of the team so now they look like more of a strong team. 

    "So I'm very confident about the next games until the end of the season. I think there will be a surprise to the end of the season because they are still in the Europa League. Let's see."

    Pogba has just over one year left on his current contract and agent Mino Raiola said in December his client wanted to leave United.

    While Raiola later backtracked somewhat during the January transfer window, he insisted he would still push for a transfer at the end of the season, though the club have talked about a new deal.

    Nani was asked whether Pogba's continued presence in the headlines meant he had become a distraction for United.

    "At this moment, I see him as one of the important players at Man United," Nani said about Pogba.

    "But I don't know what he has on his mind, if he wants to leave or if all this news is making some problems in his head.

    "I don't know if he has full concentration on the team, on the games, on the goals of the team. 

    "I saw him when he was struggling with some injuries and then he came back and started playing, he was improving his performance. He was doing well. 

    "He was helping the team, but we know Pogba can do much better, he can do much more because he is a top player in this position. He's not using all his strength, all his qualities. 

    "But if he wants to stay at the club, for sure he will perform much better very soon. He needs to continue to improve his game, his confidence and try to help the team in the way he can."

    Pogba has been out of action for a month since suffering a thigh injury in the dramatic 3-3 draw with Everton.

    While United are unbeaten in seven games without him, four of those contests have been draws, including Wednesday's goalless encounter at Crystal Palace.

    That was their sixth goalless Premier League draw of the season, their joint-most ever in a season, along with 2004-05 and 2016-17.

    It is also the first time United have drawn three consecutive matches 0-0 in all competitions since October 2015, when they were playing under Louis van Gaal.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.