Xavi wants Barcelona 'dream team' including Carles Puyol and Jordi Cruyff

By Sports Desk August 13, 2020

Xavi knows the time is not yet right for him to coach Barcelona, but if the day does come, he wants a 'dream team' around him.

Barca icon Xavi – currently the coach of Al Sadd – was heavily linked with taking over at Camp Nou following Ernesto Valverde's departure, but the 40-year-old claimed to have turned down his former club.

Quique Setien subsequently took charge, with the ex-Real Betis coach leading Barca to a second-placed finish in LaLiga, though they have progressed into the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Xavi reiterated he is not yet ready for such a huge job, but should he take over eventually, he wants to be surrounded by a so-called 'dream team' of assistants.

"I don't think it's now, no. In January I told them that it was not the time, and now they have not contacted me," Xavi told El Pais.

"I wish them the best. I respect Quique Setien a lot, he has a game manual very similar to what Barca needs, which is 'Cruyffismo'. Another thing is that the results have to accompany it.

"I am delighted to continue gaining experience, challenging myself, and of course it would be a privilege for me to train Barca one day with a dream team – with Jordi Cruyff, Carles Puyol and some current players.

"I would like to make a team with valid people who know the club, people who I trust and who belong to me."

Related items

  • Zidane celebrates LaLiga century with Madrid Zidane celebrates LaLiga century with Madrid

    Zinedine Zidane claimed his 100th LaLiga victory as Real Madrid head coach on Saturday.

    Zidane reached the century milestone in Madrid's thrilling 3-2 win over 10-man Real Betis.

    The French great, who celebrated his second LaLiga title in charge of Madrid last season, achieved the feat in 147 games.

    Zidane has the second-most league victories in Madrid's history, behind Miguel Munoz (257).

    In his second stint at the Santiago Bernabeu, Zidane – whose first win came in January 2016 – has seen his Madrid team score 342 goals while only conceding 142.

    Madrid earned their first win of the 2020-21 season, following last week's stalemate against Real Sociedad.

    After Federico Valverde's 14th-minute opener for Madrid, Betis turned the match on its head with two goals in three minutes via Aissa Mandi and William Carvalho prior to half-time.

    Barcelona-owned Emerson scored an own goal three minutes into the second half before being sent off with 23 minutes remaining, and Madrid made the most of their numerical advantage when captain Sergio Ramos converted an 82nd-minute penalty.

  • Zidane happy with squad as Madrid boss dismisses transfer talk after Betis win Zidane happy with squad as Madrid boss dismisses transfer talk after Betis win

    Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane has no plans to sign new players before the transfer window shuts following his team's thrilling 3-2 win over Real Betis.

    Sergio Ramos scored a late penalty as LaLiga champions Madrid claimed their first win of the 2020-21 season at 10-man Betis on Saturday.

    After Federico Valverde's 14th-minute opener, Betis turned the match on its head with two goals in three minutes via Aissa Mandi and William Carvalho prior to half-time.

    Barcelona-owned Emerson scored an own goal three minutes into the second half before being sent off with 23 minutes remaining, and Madrid made the most of their numerical advantage when Ramos converted an 82nd-minute penalty.

    Zidane was asked about Madrid's transfer activity pre-game, with the Spanish giants quiet since the market re-opened, having allowed the likes of Gareth Bale, James Rodriguez and Brahim Diaz to leave.

    Quizzed again on possible new signings post-match, Zidane told reporters: "No. We spoke about this before. I'm happy with the squad that I've got.

    "We are what we are and we're going to try to have a successful season."

    Reflecting on the match itself following Madrid's goalless draw against Real Sociedad in their season opener, Zidane said: "When you're behind it's difficult to change the dynamics of the game but we managed it today. It's crucial to do that every once in a while.

    "We had a lot of chances, and people we talk about how we don't score enough but today we hit three and could have had more. I'm very proud of all the players, they're working brilliantly. We have to keep it up."

    "The referee is there to review the action," added Zidane after Betis defender Marc Bartra was penalised for handball. "I think that in the end it's just what happened. He's in charge. I never get involved with the referees and I'm not going to get involved today. The most important thing for us is the game we played at a difficult ground.

    "We can be happy with the work done, we had to work hard for it and we managed to take all three points, which is the most important thing."

    "In the end it was a very complicated, difficult game," he said. "The players have given their all. It's three very important points for us at a complicated ground and against a team who have just won their first two games. We are happy. We know there is a long way to go and that we can and will improve."

    Zidane also handed a rare start to out-of-favour forward Luka Jovic, who continues to be linked with a loan move away from the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Jovic – playing alongside Karim Benzema – was tripped when through on goal as Emerson was shown a red card past the hour-mark, and Zidane said: "What I was looking for was to play in the opposition's half with a different formation.

    "We can play in different ways and one of them is with the two forwards. We can be happy with the game because in the end we got all three points."

  • TTFA seeks to rescind withdrawal of case against FIFA - vows to take suspension to CAS TTFA seeks to rescind withdrawal of case against FIFA - vows to take suspension to CAS

    The embattled Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) William Wallace-led executive has sought permission to reverse the withdrawal of proceedings, in the case brought against FIFA, currently before the T&T High Court.

    Earlier this week, a TTFA membership meeting that was held saw its membership unofficially vote to cease the TTFA action against FIFA in the court.  Wallace and his executive reluctantly agreed, and action was taken to withdraw the suit before the court on Wednesday.  The body, however, missed the deadline to withdraw the lawsuit by two minutes and were as a result suspended by FIFA.

    Originally, the TFFA had been given until September 16 to withdraw the action, but FIFA had given a further extension until the 23rd

    In explaining its reasons for choosing to suspend the TTFA, FIFA on Thursday said “The suspension was prompted by the former leadership of the TTFA lodging a claim before (the TT High Court) in order to contest the decision of the FIFA Council to appoint a normalisation committee for the TTFA. This course of action was in direct breach of article 59 of the FIFA Statutes, which expressly prohibits recourse to ordinary courts unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations.”

    According to Keith Look Loy, a former member of Wallaces' TTFA executive, the reason for returning the case to the court is in order to challenge the FIFA suspension at the CAS.

     “We filed an injunction at the CAS against the suspension. But to ensure we had legal standing to do so, we had to have a legal matter before the local courts. Had the case been withdrawn from the court, there would be no legal standing in the local high court,” Look Loy told the Trinidad and Tobago Newsday.

    “There would be no legal standing because they have no case before the court, which means they have accepted FIFA’s imposition of the normalisation committee. We do not accept this and thus had to withdraw the withdrawal application to file such an injunction against FIFA.”

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.