EPL

We were rushed into it – Ozil reveals reasons for rejecting Arsenal pay cut

By Sports Desk August 13, 2020

Mesut Ozil has claimed Arsenal's players were rushed into a decision on taking pay cuts amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Arsenal's squad initially declined to take a 12.5 per cent wage reduction for 12 months but after head coach Mikel Arteta reportedly intervened, the players, bar Ozil, agreed to accept the club's proposal.

However, Arsenal last week announced they intended to make 55 staff members redundant, with the players said to be angered by the decision.

Ozil, who has a year left to run on his contract at Emirates Stadium, stated he did not agree to the pay cut as he felt the club forced the players into making a snap judgement.

"As players, we all wanted to contribute," Ozil told The Athletic.

"But we needed more information and many questions were unanswered. Everyone was fine with a deferral while there was so much uncertainty – I would have been OK to take a bigger share – and then a cut if required, once the football and financial outlook was clearer. But we were rushed into it without proper consultation.

"For anyone in this situation, you have a right to know everything, to understand why it is happening and where the money is going.

"But we didn't get enough details, we just had to give a decision. It was far too quick for something so important and there was a lot of pressure.

"This was not fair, especially for the young guys, and I refused. I had a baby at home and have commitments to my family here, in Turkey and in Germany; to my charities, too, and also a new project we started to support people in London that was from the heart and not for publicity."

Ozil was reportedly the only player in the squad to refuse to decrease his salary, but he has claimed that was not the case.

"People who know me know exactly how generous I am and, as far as I'm aware, I was not the only player who rejected the cut in the end, but only my name came out," he said.

"I guess that's because it is me and people have been trying for two years to destroy me, to make me unhappy, to push an agenda they hope will turn the supporters against me and paint a picture that is not true."

Ozil featured in every Premier League match under Arteta up until March, yet the playmaker did not make a single appearance in any competition following the restart.

"Possibly the decision affected my chances on the pitch, I don't know," Ozil said. "But I'm not afraid to stand up for what I feel is right, and when you see what has happened now with the jobs, maybe I was."

Related items

  • Neymar, Silva and Coutinho get Brazil calls as World Cup campaign starts Neymar, Silva and Coutinho get Brazil calls as World Cup campaign starts

    Neymar and Thiago Silva featured in the Brazil squad selected by head coach Tite on Friday for the World Cup qualifiers against Bolivia and Peru.

    The five-time World Cup winners had been due to get their campaign underway in March, but the coronavirus pandemic forced a delay until October.

    Tite named a 23-man pool including seven Premier League-based players, with veteran Chelsea recruit Silva among them following his move from Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain.

    PSG superstar Neymar featured among a squad of attacking players including Liverpool's Roberto Firmino, Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus, Everton's Richarlison and Real Madrid's Rodrygo.

    Barcelona winger Philippe Coutinho, whose Camp Nou future is unclear following Ronald Koeman's arrival as Quique Setien's successor, was also called in for the October games.

    Brazil face Bolivia in Sao Paulo on October 9 before travelling to tackle Peru in Lima four days later, as their bid to reach Qatar 2022 begins.

    Palmeiras defender Gabriel Menino and Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimaraes will be involved for the first time in a Brazil squad gathering.

     

    Brazil squad: Alisson (Liverpool), Santos (Athletico-PR), Weverton (Palmeiras); Rodrigo Caio (Flamengo), Danilo (Juventus), Felipe (Atletico Madrid), Renan Lodi (Atletico Madrid), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Gabriel Menino (Palmeiras), Thiago Silva (Chelsea), Alex Telles (Porto); Casemiro (Real Madrid), Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona), Fabinho (Liverpool), Bruno Guimaraes (Lyon), Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa), Everton Ribeiro (Flamengo); Everton (Benfica), Roberto Firmino (Liverpool), Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City), Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain), Richarlison (Everton), Rodrygo (Real Madrid).

  • Arteta was worried Aubameyang might leave Arsenal Arteta was worried Aubameyang might leave Arsenal

    Mikel Arteta has revealed he was not always confident Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang would commit his future to the club.

    Aubameyang, who scored in the Gunners' opening Premier League win at Fulham, signed a new three-year deal at Emirates Stadium this week.

    A successful resolution to negotiations had been hinted at since the end of last season, with Arteta positive when discussing a possible renewal, even with Aubameyang's initial contract up at the end of the campaign.

    But the Arsenal manager says such optimism was not always there, having identified that the club's tight finances might prove an issue.

    "At the start, when I joined, I wasn't as positive as I was a few weeks ago," said Arteta, who was appointed in December.

    "Obviously, financially, we were in a position where it was difficult to get what we wanted to get, and I think Auba had his doubts at the time.

    "But things evolved in a natural way and I had a feeling that the club wanted to move forward.

    "I had a feeling that Auba wanted to stay here and we were just trying to put those things together. That can sometimes take some time, but if the outcome is what we both wanted then we're happy.

    "I played my part, which is part of my job, to try to explain to him what we are trying to do and how important he would be while we are building."

    Aubameyang joined Arsenal from Borussia Dortmund in January 2018 and has since scored 55 times in the Premier League, as well as winning the FA Cup last season.

    The 31-year-old was linked with moves to Barcelona and Inter before signing new terms in London.

  • Aguero could be out for two more months, says Guardiola Aguero could be out for two more months, says Guardiola

    Manchester City could be without star striker Sergio Aguero for the first two months of their Premier League campaign.

    Aguero missed the conclusion of last season, including City's dispiriting 3-1 Champions League quarter-final defeat to Lyon, after suffering meniscus damage during June's 5-0 win over Burnley.

    The 32-year-old Argentina international had to undergo surgery and was operated on in Barcelona by Dr Ramon Cugat, City manager Pep Guardiola's preferred surgeon.

    Initially there had been hope Aguero could play a part in the latter stages of the 2019-20 Champions League and the player posted footage of himself dribbling a ball at City's Etihad Campus training base to social media this week.

    But Guardiola looks set to be without the club's all-time leading scorer for a considerable time beyond Monday's trip to face a Wolves side who beat City twice last season.

    "We knew that the injury was difficult," Guardiola said. "He is doing the [recovery], in maybe one month or two months he will be ready.

    "Two months, because he has to come back on the pitch and regain the physical condition.

    "Sergio was out for a long time and Sergio is not a guy who regains the physical condition quick, so I think in one month or two months he will be ready."

    The time-frame outlined by Guardiola could mean Aguero misses City's first three Champions League group games of the season, along with Liverpool's visit to the Etihad Stadium on November 7.

    Opta focus - Sterling and Jesus must find clinical edge in Aguero's absence

    Earlier in the transfer window, it appeared possible Guardiola would have Aguero's international team-mate Lionel Messi to call upon.

    As it is, a considerable weight of the attacking burden at City will now fall upon Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling.

    Sterling and Jesus enjoyed their most prolific seasons individually in 2019-20, scoring 31 and 23 goals respectively across all competitions.

    However, both missed glorious chances during the second half of that sapping defeat to Lyon, with Sterling's particularly glaring as he blazed over a gaping goal from five yards.

    A look at how the Brazil and England forwards compare to Aguero in terms of their Premier League numbers does suggest City might be found wanting when it comes to having a clinical edge.

    Although Sterling outscored Aguero in the English top flight for the first time in his career last term - scoring 20 to his team-mate's 16 - the former Atletico Madrid striker's goals came at a rate of one every 91 minutes, compared to Sterling's average of one every 133 minutes. Jesus' 14 Premier League goals came in at one every 144.8 minutes.

    Aguero's conversion rate of 21.05 per cent also stood above his team-mates, although Sterling ran him close on 20.2 per cent. Jesus netted from 13.86 per cent of his 101 shots, which amounted to more attempts than Sterling (99) and Aguero (76).

    However, the spectre of the Lyon game looms - as it does over much surrounding Guardiola and his squad for their forthcoming season - when considering Opta's 'big chances' metric.

    Despite his well-earned reputation, Aguero was not infallible in such situations, converting 52 per cent of his big chances with 13 scored and 12 missed.

    Sterling's big chance conversion rate was 42.2 per cent, with 19 missed and 14 scored, while Jesus scored from only 29.4 per cent of his most gilt-edged opportunities.

    The 23-year-old Jesus missed 24 big chances, netting only 10. Those are numbers that will have to improve considerably in Aguero's absence if Guardiola's City are to once again locate the relentless rhythm that brought them back-to-back Premier League titles and make a case for dethroning Liverpool.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.