EPL

Ozil wants to stay at Arsenal despite exit rumours

By Sports Desk August 13, 2020

Mesut Ozil has confirmed he intends to remain at Arsenal until his contract expires next year.

World Cup winner Ozil was reported to be considering an exit from Emirates Stadium after failing to make an appearance for the Gunners following lockdown.

Arsenal last week announced plans to make 55 staff redundant because of the coronavirus pandemic and are reported to be keen to get Ozil's salary – claimed to be £350,000 per week – off the wage bill.

However, the 31-year-old playmaker insists he will remain at the club and give his all during the coming season.

"My position is clear. I'm here through to the last day of our agreement and I'll give everything I have for this club," Ozil told The Athletic.

"Situations like these will never break me, they only make me stronger. I showed in the past that I can come back into the team and I will show it again."

Regarding reports Arsenal were contemplating buying Ozil out of the last year of his contract, he said: "I'll decide when I go, not other people. I didn't sign for two or three years, I signed for four and that should be respected by everyone."

Ozil's latest deal was a three-and-a-half-year agreement announced in February 2018.

He said: "Things have obviously been difficult but I love Arsenal, I love to work there, I love the people in the club - the real people, those I've been with for a long time - and I love London, it's my home."

He claims he could have earned "far more money" as a free agent but had agreed to extend his Arsenal contract because of his commitment to the club, saying that head coach Mikel Arteta "knows my quality".

"I'm not going into pre-season thinking, 'Final year, I can chill - I know I don't play'," Ozil added. "These are not easy times for Arsenal and I want to help. I still have a lot to offer and I train as hard as I can, whether I'm in the squad or not."

Related items

  • Thiago on Liverpool bench as Kovacic returns for Chelsea Thiago on Liverpool bench as Kovacic returns for Chelsea

    Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp included Thiago Alcantara on the bench for the Premier League clash with Chelsea, while Fabinho was named in defence due to injuries. 

    Midfielder Thiago only completed his move to the reigning champions from Bayern Munich on Friday, signing a four-year contract. 

    Despite a lack of preparation time with his new team-mates, the Spain international could make his debut on Sunday after being named among the substitutes for the game at Stamford Bridge. 

    However, Klopp is without centre-backs Joe Gomez and Joel Matip due to injuries. 

    With Dejan Lovren having departed in the transfer window, Fabinho partners Virgil van Dijk at the heart of the defence, the Brazilian's inclusion the only change from the XI that started the 4-3 victory over Leeds United last time out. 

    As for hosts Chelsea, Frank Lampard also made only one alteration to the side that began the 3-1 triumph away at Brighton and Hove Albion. 

    Mateo Kovacic missed the league opener through suspension but comes back into midfield, taking the place of Ruben Loftus-Cheek. 

    Kai Havertz and Timo Werner - who was linked with Liverpool before signing for Chelsea - both make their home debuts for the Blues. Fellow new recruits Hakim Ziyech and Ben Chilwell remain sidelined, though, along with Christian Pulisic.

  • 'Buzzing' Son thanks Kane after four-goal heroics 'Buzzing' Son thanks Kane after four-goal heroics

    Son Heung-min expressed his gratitude to Tottenham team-mate Harry Kane after explaining he was "buzzing" to score four times against Southampton.

    An unbelievable Premier League contest on Sunday saw Spurs come from behind to win 5-2 at St Mary's.

    All four of Son's goals were assisted by his fellow forward Kane, who went on to score the fifth himself and also had two goals disallowed.

    The phenomenal link-up play meant it was the first time in Premier League history that one player has assisted another four times in the same match.

    "I'm buzzing to score four goals in the Premier League for the first time," Son said in a message to Spurs fans on the club's Twitter account.

    "But I'm really grateful to my team-mates who gave me the opportunity to score, especially to H [Harry Kane].

    "It was an amazing performance from Harry, amazing passing.

    "To score my first hat-trick in the Premier League with Spurs is a big honour for me, I'm very proud and very grateful.

    "The lads did a really good job, an incredible job – we completely deserved the win. We go again on Tuesday [against Leyton Orient] now.

    "Thanks for your support, come on you Spurs."

    Manager Jose Mourinho also paid tribute to Kane, interrupting a post-match interview the striker was involved in to call the England captain his man of the match.

    Mourinho added further praise in his post-match media conference, saying: "In the second half Harry Kane in my opinion changed the game. 

    "His movement was tremendous, his link play was absolutely incredible and he allowed Sonny to play in a different position on the pitch. 

    "Gio [Lo Celso] and [Erik] Lamela, I just love when players come from the bench and add something to the team. The second half was a really strong performance for us."

  • Pioli targets top four as Milan prepare for Serie A opener Pioli targets top four as Milan prepare for Serie A opener

    Stefano Pioli has challenged Milan to hit the ground running at the start of the new Serie A season as they aim for a top-four finish.

    The Rossoneri finished the 2019-20 campaign impressively, producing a 12-game unbeaten run in the league to rise up to sixth spot, enough to secure Europa League qualification.

    Their fine form during the run-in also led to a new contract for Pioli, who acknowledges there will now be added pressure this term.

    While a title tilt may be a tall order, the Milan boss revealed his determination to avoid losing ground on their main rivals ahead of Monday's opening fixture against Bologna.

    "If we want to finish in the top four, we need to start well," Pioli told the media. "We can't be chasing the whole time.

    "Starting with a win is vital, which is why we're focusing on tomorrow's match. The Scudetto? I don't know. It's difficult to give a response at this time."

    Milan, who last ended a season in the top four in 2012-13, have added Brahim Diaz and Sandro Tonali to their squad, while Zlatan Ibrahimovic has also signed a new contract to remain at San Siro.

    Asked about the rise in expectations following such a strong finish to the previous campaign, Pioli replied: "Being under pressure is a privilege, it means that we've reached a high standard.

    "Our objective is to improve on our position last year - we need to be ambitious, we're AC Milan."

    Pioli saw his side triumph 2-0 in a Europa League qualifying tie against Shamrock Rovers in midweek, Hakan Calhanoglu playing a starring role.

    The Turkey international scored his team's second goal and has built up a strong partnership with Ibrahimovic, who was also on target.

    "Calhanoglu is someone who knows how to play on the pitch," Pioli said. "He's developed an important understanding with Ibra, they know how to attack the lines and the space in behind.

    "Calhanoglu has lots of quality and is also a selfless player. He has all the cards at his disposal to do well and continue to be a point of reference."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.