Oblak deflects Chelsea talk as Atletico target Leipzig scalp

By Sports Desk August 13, 2020

Jan Oblak will only consider his Atletico Madrid future once their Champions League run is over.

The Slovenian goalkeeper has been touted as a possible target for Chelsea after impressing over six seasons with Atletico.

Ahead of their clash with RB Leipzig on Thursday, Oblak said all his focus was on that quarter-final as Diego Simeone's side attempt to become champions of Europe for the first time.

Winning the Europa League two years ago strengthened Atletico's resolve to go on and win the Champions League, the competition in which they were runners-up in 2013-14 and 2015-16.

"This is not the time for that, now it's Leipzig," he told AS when asked about rumoured Chelsea interest.

"I reflect on the season when the last game is over and hopefully we have three left. Then there will be time to talk. But first, Leipzig. I really want to get through.

"All of us who are here [in Lisbon] deserve it, but I hope our moment has come. It's difficult to think beyond this game, you have to beat Leipzig and then look at other things.

"But I couldn't be happier for me, for the team and for all at Atletico if we win this Champions League."

Atletico's preparations for the game have been disrupted by the positive COVID-19 tests of two players, forward Angel Correa and defender Sime Vrsaljko.

Oblak said everyone had been "a bit stressed by the tests", adding it was "a shame" that Correa and Vrsaljko had to stay behind in Madrid.

"I have not spoken much with them, but I have messaged them and they are fine, they do not have any symptoms or any problems," Oblak said.

The Atletico keeper may be privately glad that Leipzig will be without Timo Werner, the striker who has moved on to Chelsea.

But he was not willing to say as much, instead suggesting the Bundesliga outfit can find ways to compensate for the loss of the former attacking spearhead.

"Leipzig with and without Werner are a slightly different team, but they are neither better nor worse," Oblak said. "They have many options, a lot of quality and this year throughout the season they have shown it in the German league and in the Champions League."

Related items

  • Guardiola: I must deserve new City contract Guardiola: I must deserve new City contract

    Pep Guardiola would love to stay at Manchester City beyond this season but believes he has work to do to earn a new contract.

    Guardiola will begin a fifth consecutive campaign in charge of the same side for the first time in his career when he takes City to Molineux on Monday to face Wolves in their Premier League opener.

    The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss has won six major hours in four seasons at the Etihad Stadium, including back-to-back Premier League titles in 2017-18 and 2018-19 - triumphs over the course of which they accrued a scarcely credible 198 points.

    But Liverpool stormed to glory in England's top flight last term, finishing 18 points clear of City, who again fell short in the Champions League as Lyon punished a limp quarter-final showing in Lisbon.

    It leaves one of the most celebrated coaches of his generation with plenty to prove heading into the new season, and Guardiola believes his employers are at the top of the list of those he must impress.

    "I would love to stay longer here. It is a place I love to be, but I have to deserve it," he said.

    "This club achieved standards in the last decade but we have to maintain that and I have to deserve it.

    "I am going to see if I deserve it this season, in terms of how the club goes forward and improves."

    At the same time, Guardiola was keen to explain his view of the situation was not down to an ultimatum of any kind.

    He enjoys an easy relationship with City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak and his old Barcelona allies Txiki Begiristain and Ferran Soriano - City's respective director of football and chief executive.

    Both sides remain relaxed when it comes to talks over an extension.

    "We didn't speak with the club in these terms," Guardiola said. "They allow me to do my job the best I can, with all my staff and the players, and this is [what I'm] going to continue to do.

    "They didn't tell me you have to do this or you have to that, or you have to win this or you have to win that. They told me to play. In my feeling, I know the standards of the club and if I don't achieve the standards, I probably don't deserve [to stay] so I have to win to extend my contract.

    "We have a game every three days so we don't have much time to think about it. I try to see Txiki and Ferran every day and I speak every week with Khaldoon.

    "When it is going to happen, it is going to happen. Now we have other issues. The organisation is so strong in all departments. It will not be a problem for the club to do what we have to do in the future."

    Guardiola cut an embattled figure after last month's 3-1 loss to Lyon, where his switch to a 3-5-2 formation was heavily criticised.

    City moved quickly to sign Valencia winger Ferran Torres and Bournemouth defender Nathan Ake, but their moves to secure an elite centre-back have stalled, while the dream of bringing Lionel Messi to Manchester quickly faded having briefly looked like being realised.

    Club record goalscorer Sergio Aguero could miss the first two months of the season as he recovers from meniscus surgery - all of which adds up to a tricky build-up as City aim to overthrow a formidable foe in Liverpool.

    Nevertheless Guardiola insists he is ready for the challenges ahead as his career moves into the unchartered territory of season number five.

    "I would not be here if I didn't feel the fire or the desire to play good," he added.

    "I still want to help the players avoid making mistakes and still I have passion to do it, maybe more than ever.

    "I want to try to be together and do a good season."

  • Southampton 2-5 Tottenham: Four-goal Son and Kane give Bale a glimpse of what's to come Southampton 2-5 Tottenham: Four-goal Son and Kane give Bale a glimpse of what's to come

    Gareth Bale was given a glimpse of the forward line he has joined as Son Heung-min's fantastic four-goal haul and a Harry Kane effort earned Tottenham a 5-2 Premier League victory over Southampton.

    Real Madrid forward Bale returned to the North London club on Saturday having agreed a season-long loan deal, though he might have been having second thoughts when Danny Ings scored at St Mary's to give another of the Welshman's former clubs a 32rd-minute lead.

    However, Son levelled before half-time following a cross from Kane, who then provided another two assists for the South Korean to complete a hat-trick just after the hour mark.

    The duo then combined for a fourth time as Son scored again in the 73rd minute before Kane added a fifth prior to a late penalty consolation from Ings, with Spurs claiming a win that must have left Bale, currently out injured, itching to make his comeback.

    The game began at a frenetic pace as three goals were ruled out in the opening half an hour.

    Kane thought he had scored a third-minute opener only for VAR to spot an offside against Son in the build-up.

    Shortly after Hugo Lloris brilliantly saved from Che Adams, the Frenchman failed to clear his lines with a bizarre header when rushing out and Ings applied the finish, only to be denied as the ball struck his arm first.

    Moussa Djenepo struck a post and Kane had another effort chalked off for an offside against Lucas Moura before Southampton scored the game's first legitimate goal, Ings collecting Kyle Walker-Peters' ball over the top and rifling into the net.

    However, Spurs would go into the break level when Son turned home Kane's cross after good work from Tanguy Ndombele - who was surprisingly substituted at half-time having made his first start since March.

    Son's touch to steady himself and his finish were Tottenham's only touches in the Saints' box in the first half, and their next made it 2-1.

    Again Kane found Son and this time he scored with his left foot to put Jose Mourinho's side ahead less than two minutes after the restart.

    The pair were not done, though, and Kane found his fellow forward twice more, with Son beating Alex McCarthy on each occasion to take the game away from Saints.

    Kane got the goal his performance deserved too, following up in the 82nd minute after substitute Erik Lamela's effort came off a post, meaning Ings' late penalty - awarded following a handball against Matt Doherty - only reduced the eventual margin of defeat for Southampton.

  • Nice 0-3 Paris Saint-Germain: Mbappe impresses on PSG return Nice 0-3 Paris Saint-Germain: Mbappe impresses on PSG return

    Kylian Mbappe impressed on his return to action as he helped Paris Saint-Germain to a 3-0 away Ligue 1 win over Nice.

    The forward was making his first club appearance of the new season on Sunday after testing positive for coronavirus while on international duty with France.

    Mbappe scored a penalty that he won himself and then saw his saved shot converted by Angel Di Maria on the rebound as two PSG goals towards the end of the first half proved pivotal.

    Nice were not at full strength themselves due the impact of COVID-19 but Patrick Vieira's men were occasionally threatening until PSG captain Marquinhos headed in after the break to seal the win.

    After Walter Benitez saved Di Maria's volley, the visitors lost Idrissa Gueye to injury midway through the half, with Ander Herrera replacing him shortly before a golden opportunity for Mbappe to open the scoring.

    The France international looked sure to score after a wonderful passing move involving Mitchel Bakker and Mauro Icardi, only to fire over with a left-footed effort.

    Presnel Kimpembe was somehow unable to get on the end of a Di Maria corner and later miscued another effort, before Mbappe atoned for his miss.

    Seven minutes before the break, Mbappe confidently sent Benitez the wrong way from the penalty spot after a purposeful run into the box had seen him fouled by Khephren Thuram.

    Herrera almost made it two but Andy Pelmard deflected his shot onto the post, before lively Nice winger Rony Lopes – who had earlier curled just wide – forced Navas into a key save after a great one-two with Amine Gouiri.

    But PSG moved firmly into control one minute into first-half stoppage time, Mbappe's magnificent run and shot forcing Benitez to parry, with Di Maria on hand to power in on the follow-up.

    Navas was impressively at full stretch to make a fingertip save from Youcef Atal after the break, while Benitez had to rush out to deny Icardi with his legs at the other end, with the former Inter striker hitting the post from close range soon after.

    It was game over after 66 minutes, though, Marquinhos heading in a superb in-swinging free-kick from Di Maria.

    A second Mbappe goal was ruled out for offside, while Navas saved well from Evann Guessand late on to preserve PSG's clean sheet.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.