Real Madrid was not the right step - Nagelsmann

By Sports Desk August 09, 2020

Julian Nagelsmann has revealed he turned down an offer from Real Madrid as it was not the right step for his career.

Then at Hoffenheim, Nagelsmann was on a shortlist of candidates to replace Zinedine Zidane at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2018, but Julen Lopetegui was eventually appointed to the post. 

Lopetegui's tenure ended in October that year, however, while Santiago Solari also having a brief spell in charge before Zidane returned in March 2019.

Nagelsmann, meanwhile, opted to join RB Leipzig, taking charge in 2019 and guiding the side to a third-placed finish in the Bundesliga. The 33-year-old has confirmed he decided against joining Madrid, as he thought he was not yet ready to take on a job of such magnitude. 

"We had phone calls, but in the end the one who decided was me," Nagelsmann told Marca ahead of Leipzig's Champions League quarter-final with Atletico Madrid.  

"I believed that it was still not the right step to go to Real Madrid. I was one of the candidates and the list was not very long.  

"For me, it was very important. I had a good chat with [Madrid general director] Jose Angel Sanchez and we decided that it was still not the right step.  

"We agreed that we could talk again in the future if Real Madrid needed a coach, and if I was available." 

Nagelsmann added that Leipzig provided the ideal platform for him to develop as a coach. 

"I wanted the next step to be logical. I try to plan a career in football, even if it is difficult," he said. 

"I'm a young boy, I don't have to go to the top shelf right away either. I give myself time to develop. Leipzig went to great lengths to sign me. That was the most important thing. 

"Relatively fast I had an offer on the table. We had good conversations and I saw that it was a good next step. A bigger club, with a bigger budget than Hoffenheim, which would allow me to continue developing.  

"They have also given me a free hand to introduce my ideas. I do not have to permanently justify what I do, but I have the possibility to evolve and transfer my ideas to the field of play.  

"It was a good next step in my career to prepare myself and in the future, maybe."

Related items

  • Ansu Fati takes Barcelona's number 22 shirt and has buy-out clause raised to €400m Ansu Fati takes Barcelona's number 22 shirt and has buy-out clause raised to €400m

    Ansu Fati has officially become a member of Barcelona's first-team squad following a brilliant breakthrough campaign, with his buy-out clause raised to €400million.

    The winger will wear the number 22, which had been left vacant following Arturo Vidal's departure to Inter.

    He had previously been given the number 31 shirt, but did not officially count as a first-team player despite making 33 appearances in all competitions in 2019-20.

    Barca have also confirmed that the teenager's buy-out clause has gone up from €170m to €400m now he is a first-team player, as was agreed when Fati's deal with the club was renewed in December.

    The 17-year-old scored eight goals in total last season for Barca, and has won two caps for Spain – putting in a superb display in a 4-0 rout over Ukraine in his first international start earlier in September.

    Fati scored his penultimate LaLiga goal of last season in a 4-1 win over Villarreal in July. It was the club's 9,000th competitive strike.

    Having missed the first two games of the Ronald Koeman era due to a hip injury, Fati started against Elche in the Joan Gamper Trophy match.

    Barca, who are in the process of overhauling their squad after allowing Vidal, Arthur, Nelson Semedo and Ivan Rakitic to leave – with Luis Suarez on the verge of a move to Atletico Madrid too – start their LaLiga campaign against Villarreal on Sunday.

  • Flick still in contact with Gotze as Bayern return rumours circle Flick still in contact with Gotze as Bayern return rumours circle

    Hansi Flick acknowledged he remains in contact with Mario Gotze after rumours circulated the Germany World Cup winner could return to Bayern Munich.

    Gotze spent three years at Bayern between 2013 and 2016, winning the Bundesliga in each season and the DFB-Pokal twice, before returning to Borussia Dortmund.

    The attacking midfielder was released at the end of last season, though, after struggling to regain the form that saw him rise through the ranks at Signal Iduna Park.

    Flick was assistant to Joachim Low when Gotze scored the winning goal for Germany in the 2014 World Cup final and German publication Bild suggested the Bayern boss is keen on bringing him back to bolster his midfield, an option that has proved attractive as there is no fee involved.

    Asked at a news conference prior to Bayern's Super Cup clash with Sevilla about Gotze, Flick replied: "As far as Mario Gotze is concerned, I am still in close contact with players who played in the national team during my time. 

    "He went through a difficult phase and we spoke on the phone several times. I appreciate Mario very much and I know where he has his strengths, but he is currently not an issue for us."

    Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, a member of the World Cup-winning team, talked up Gotze's qualities.

    "Much has been said about it. Mario is a very good player who knows the Bayern environment and I think he said himself that he wanted to win the Champions League," he said. 

    "He has ambitious goals and is very ambitious. He's in good shape, even though he wasn't preparing for a team. We'll see where it ends up later. I can only say that Mario Gotze is a good player. "

    Flick, who hopes Robert Lewandowski will complete a full training session after taking a knock in the 8-0 hammering of Schalke, was asked how he felt about fans being allowed into the Puskas Arena for the annual European curtain-raiser.

    The stadium will have no more than 30 per cent capacity but there were 951 new cases of coronavirus confirmed in Hungary over the past 24 hours.

    "In Munich I almost live in a corona hotspot, so not too much has changed. No, we came to play football, decisions are made elsewhere," Flick added. 

    "We're here to play football and we aim to win the Super Cup. We know that we can win these games. 

    "I'm a coach, I'm not an advisor for things like that. I hope I have the right advice for my players. Everything else should be done by others."

  • UEFA Player of the Year: De Bruyne, Lewandowski & Neuer in top three, Messi fourth, Ronaldo 10th UEFA Player of the Year: De Bruyne, Lewandowski & Neuer in top three, Messi fourth, Ronaldo 10th

    Kevin De Bruyne, Robert Lewandowski and Manuel Neuer have made the shortlist for the UEFA Men's Player of the Year award for the 2019-20 campaign.

    Manchester City playmaker De Bruyne, who recently won the PFA Players' Player of the Year award, is in the final three along with two Bayern Munich stars who helped their side to the treble last season.

    Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk won the honour in the previous season, finishing ahead of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

    None of those three are on the shortlist this time, though, and whoever comes out on top will be a first-time winner.

    Neuer missed only one game in Bayern's treble season and kept six Champions League clean sheets, while Lewandowski netted 55 goals in 47 appearances for Hansi Flick's team.

    De Bruyne, meanwhile, produced a record-equalling 20 assists in the Premier League for City, adding 13 goals.

    The final order of the top three is yet to be revealed, but UEFA has confirmed the occupants of positions four to 10.

    Barcelona forward Messi came in at tie for fourth with Paris Saint-Germain's Neymar, while Juventus attacker Ronaldo was down in 10th spot.

    Thomas Muller (6th), Kylian Mbappe (7th), Thiago Alcantara (8th) and Joshua Kimmich (9th) were the others who featured in the top 10.

    Ronaldo has won the honour three times since it was first awarded in 2011, while Messi has claimed it twice.

    Andres Iniesta, Franck Ribery, Luka Modric and Van Dijk were the other victors, with the award voted for by coaches and journalists.

    Lucy Bronze, Wendie Renard and Pernille Harder are up for the Women's Player of the Year accolade in the 2019-20 awards.

    Bayern head coach Flick, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp and RB Leipzig's Julian Nagelsmann are on the shortlist for Men's Coach of the Year.

    The winners will be announced at the Champions League group stage draw ceremony on October 1.

    Messi and Ronaldo also won the previous version of the award - UEFA Club Footballer of the Year – once each. That award was replaced after the 2009-10 season, when Diego Milito came out on top.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.