Gerrard: Morelos has had his head turned

By Sports Desk August 06, 2020

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard believes star forward Alfredo Morelos has "had his head turned" by speculation over his future.

Morelos played 77 minutes against Bayer Leverkusen on Thursday but was unable to add to his 14 goals in this season's tournament as Rangers' lengthy Europa League run came to a close.

Moussa Diaby scored the only goal at the BayArena to conclude a 4-1 aggregate passage into the quarter-finals for the hosts.

Morelos has been heavily linked with a move to Ligue 1 side Lille, with Rangers' moves to sign attackers Kemar Roofe and Cedric Itten on Tuesday widely interpreted as them preparing for life without the 24-year-old Colombian.

Asked by BT Sport whether he expected Morales to be at the club next week, Gerrard replied: "I don't know, I can't control what goes on outside.

"Everyone knows he's had his head turned, for sure. There's no denying that.

"But we just move forward. My focus is on the team and the players that want to be here and my focus is certainly on [Rangers' next game against] St Mirren.

"If a bid comes that the board like and are interested in, and the player tells me face to face he wants to go then we'll see what happens."

Gerrard refuted the suggestion that Morales' performance against Leverkusen had been compromised by the prevailing uncertainty.

"I don't think so. I think Alfredo's professional enough to block the noise out and focus," he said.

"He hasn't had the best of games tonight but we haven't as a team either.

"There are no fingers pointed at anyone. We've given it our best shot and unfortunately we fell short.

"We all have to improve, but Alfredo needs to remain focused."

Related items

  • Figo: European Premier League would destroy football Figo: European Premier League would destroy football

    Luis Figo has called on "everyone" in football to oppose a potential European Premier League, saying the competition would "destroy football as we know it".

    A Sky News report on Tuesday claimed Liverpool and Manchester United were among clubs in England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain to hold talks over a breakaway competition.

    Wall Street bank JP Morgan is said to have prepared a $6billion (£4.6bn/€5.1bn) funding package, while FIFA was reported to have given its support to the proposals.

    The alleged plan follows failed attempts from the same two elite Premier League clubs to push through Project Big Picture, which would have secured increased voting rights on matters in England for 'big six' clubs.

    As with Project Big Picture, though, the mooted European Premier League has been met with opposition.

    Former Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter winger Figo, who briefly ran for FIFA presidency in 2015, has added his voice.

    Responding to comments from ex-United captain Gary Neville, who described the idea as "another wound for football", Figo made his displeasure clear.

    "What I read about this Super League idea will destroy football as we know it," said the 127-cap Portugal international, who retired at Inter in 2009.

    "It's all about greed and keeping the game for a few elite clubs, while killing the other clubs and leagues that fans love.

    "Football should unite! Everyone should oppose it!"

    Figo's decision not to continue with his pursuit of the FIFA presidency five years ago came due to his refusal to "go along with" a process that delivers "absolute power to one man".

    European football's governing body and Champions League organisers UEFA had opposed a potential "super league" on Tuesday, saying the competition would "inevitably become boring".

    The existing Champions League structure is set to be revamped after the 2023-24 campaign, with plenty of posturing around the elite club game in Europe focused upon what shape this might take, although the backers of the European Premier League purportedly have ambitions to launch as early as 2022.

  • Solskjaer confirms Bailly injury blow for Man Utd Solskjaer confirms Bailly injury blow for Man Utd

    Eric Bailly is set to be absent for Manchester United until after the next international window in November, Red Devils boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed. 

    The Ivory Coast centre-back was on the bench when Manchester United defeated Newcastle United 4-1 at the weekend but did not travel for the impressive 2-1 win at Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League on Tuesday. 

    Bailly has an unspecified muscular injury, which Solskjaer said will keep him out potentially for up to a month. 

    "Eric has a muscle injury, we think maybe three or four weeks, maybe after the international break he'll be back," Solskjaer said. 

    It presents a slight problem for the United boss, who was without Harry Maguire in the French capital, though he could be back against Chelsea this weekend. 

    Axel Tuanzebe excelled in a back three alongside Victor Lindelof and Luke Shaw in his first competitive appearance since December, meaning Aaron Wan-Bissaka and new signing Alex Telles were utilised as wing-backs. 

  • Rumour Has It: PSG's Mbappe interested in Liverpool move, Madrid back Zidane Rumour Has It: PSG's Mbappe interested in Liverpool move, Madrid back Zidane

    What does the future hold for Kylian Mbappe?

    For so long, the Paris Saint-Germain forward has been tipped to join Real Madrid.

    However, Mbappe is believed to be attracted to the idea of leaving Parc des Princes for Anfield.

     

    TOP STORY – MBAPPE INTRIGUED BY LIVERPOOL

    Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe is interested in a move to Premier League champions Liverpool, according to Le Parisien.

    Mbappe is contracted to PSG until 2022 but the France international forward has reportedly made it clear he has no plans to extend his deal in Paris.

    He has long been linked with LaLiga champions Real Madrid, though the 21-year-old is attracted to Liverpool's style of play. Barcelona have also emerged as a possible destination.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Zinedine Zidane retains the backing of Madrid following last week's shock defeat to newly promoted Cadiz, says AS. Head coach Zidane has come in for criticism after Madrid's first loss of the season. While delivering LaLiga glory last term, Zidane is reportedly under pressure to succeed in the Champions League following their last-16 exit in 2019-20.

    - The Daily Star says Arsenal outcast Mesut Ozil is wanted by MLS outfit DC United. Wayne Rooney previously played for DC between 2018 and 2020.

    - Todofichajes claims PSG and United are interested in Inter midfielder Christian Eriksen, who has struggled to establish himself in Milan since arriving from Tottenham in January.

    Tottenham are close to agreeing a contract extension with Spurs star Son Heung-min, reports The Athletic.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.