Manchester City v Real Madrid: Hazard back in England to salvage 'worst' season

By Sports Desk August 06, 2020

He might have a winners' medal in his pocket at the end of his first LaLiga season, but Eden Hazard is in no mood to spare himself.

Long touted as a potential marquee signing for Real Madrid, the Belgium star made the move to the Santiago Bernabeu for an initial €100million last June.

However, by the time Zinedine Zidane had masterminded a post-lockdown overhaul of Barcelona to claim the title, the dream had long since turned into something of a nightmare.

"We have won the title collectively this year, considering it has certainly been the worst season of my career individually," Hazard told France Info after injury woes – most notably a broken foot that required surgery – restricted him to 16 top-flight appearances.

He scored once in 1,086 LaLiga minutes and has failed to find the net in five Champions League appearances for the 13-time winners so far.

The peculiarity of this elongated season means a chance to salvage something arrives on Friday in familiar surroundings.

Madrid are 2-1 in arrears ahead of their last-16 second leg against Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium. If a remontada is to become reality, they will probably need an individual to step up and produce something truly special – particularly considering talismanic captain Sergio Ramos is suspended.

It was another Belgian, Kevin De Bruyne, who stole the show in the Spanish capital back in February as he majestically created Gabriel Jesus' equaliser before dispatching the winner from the penalty spot.

Although firm friends throughout their gilded careers, it is hard to imagine the distinction of being Belgium's outstanding footballer lying elsewhere sitting too well with the lavishly gifted Hazard.

Perhaps an outing in east Manchester can stir a return to his very best.

In December of the 2016-17 season, City and Chelsea were neck and neck at the top of the Premier League when the Londoners travelled north.

De Bruyne hit the crossbar from point-blank range with the hosts 1-0 up and then Hazard took over, the master conductor as Antonio Conte's Blues took apart Pep Guardiola's men on the counter-attack. He scored the game-sealing goal in a 3-1 victory as a disintegrating City finished with Sergio Aguero and Fernandinho sent off.

In the return match at Stamford Bridge, Hazard netted a brace in 2-1 win that put Chelsea on the brink of the Premier League title.

His efforts that year yielded 16 goals and five assists, sitting handsomely alongside the 14 goals and nine assists from 2014-15 when he first inspired the Stamford Bridge outfit to glory. City came second in that earlier campaign and Hazard walked off with the PFA and FWA end-of-season awards.

There is no suggestion that, at 29, Hazard will not be able to scale such heights again. Whether he can this week, however, is another matter.

Zidane seems to be as in the dark as anyone else.

"I think Eden had little [injury] problems recently because, when he finished playing [against Villarreal], he had problems; he didn't end well," he told reporters after Hazard's final appearance of the LaLiga season in Madrid's penultimate match.

In the final six games of the campaign, the after-effects of Hazard's injury woes restricted him to 70 minutes on the field. The outing against Villarreal accounted for 62 of those.

"I hope that, with this break, he recovers completely," Zidane added. "Those that know about this, about looking after players, will try to get Eden well again."

It is probably wise to look towards 2020-21 with a clean slate. But maybe all it will take is one elegant shuffle of the feet, a deft lay-off or one of those beautifully balanced dribbles for the memories to come flooding back – for both Hazard and those in sky blue trying to stop him – in the country where he forged a path to the top of the game.

Related items

  • Tagliafico signs new Ajax contract that reportedly includes 'giants' get-out clause Tagliafico signs new Ajax contract that reportedly includes 'giants' get-out clause

    Nicolas Tagliafico has signed a new contract that will keep him at Ajax until 2023. 

    The 28-year-old left-back's previous deal was due to expire in 2022, thus the extension seemingly secures his value to Ajax for a further season. 

    However, media reports suggest the contract includes a clause that will allow the defender to leave the club next year should a major foreign side show an interest. 

    Tagliafico has been linked with a host of big clubs in recent years, including Manchester United, Inter, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City.

    Hakim Ziyech, now at Chelsea, was said to have had a similar agreement written into his contract before he left Ajax for Stamford Bridge earlier this year. 

    Tagliafico joined Ajax in January 2018 from Argentina's Independiente and helped them to reach the Champions League semi-finals against the odds in his first full season. 

    Since the start of that campaign, 2018-19, only five defenders have featured more regularly in Europe's premier club competition than Tagliafico (21), while Juan Bernat and Raphael Guerreiro (five each) are the only two to have more goals than the Ajax defender (four). 

    But he has also proven himself shrewd defensively.

    His total of 39 successful tackles is second only to team-mate Noussair Mazraoui (40), while Mats Hummels (50) is the sole defender with more than Tagliafico's 45 interceptions. 

    The Argentina international comes out on top for overall duels (286) and duels won (165), however, highlighting the fearlessness Ajax would lose were he to leave. 

    Nevertheless, Friday's news should at least ensure Ajax secure a healthy profit if he does depart in 2021.

  • Stadio Diego Armando Maradona – Napoli stadium officially renamed in tribute to club legend Stadio Diego Armando Maradona – Napoli stadium officially renamed in tribute to club legend

    Napoli's stadium has officially been renamed in honour of Diego Maradona, the Municipality of Naples announced on Friday. 

    The sporting world was shaken last week when Argentina great Maradona – widely considered to be one of football's greatest ever players – died at the age of 60 after suffering heart failure.

    A World Cup winner with Argentina, Maradona enjoyed stunning success in Naples, where he guided Napoli to unprecedented Serie A glory in 1986-87, and then again in 1989-90. The Partenopei are yet to add to their only two Scudetto honours.

    Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis said last week it would be "right" to rename Stadio San Paolo after the Argentinian and the Naples city council on Friday unanimously approved a resolution that will change its name to Stadio Diego Armando Maradona.

    The change still needs to be authorised by the Prefect of the Province of Naples, but that is expected to be a formality.

    "With a resolution approved today, the stadium was named after Diego Armando Maradona," the Municipality said in a statement.

    "Shortly before the executive committee meeting, the advisory commission for city toponymy had approved the proposal of the mayor, the councillor for toponymy Alessandra Clemente and the city council, naming the Stadio San Paolo after Diego Armando Maradona with the name Stadio Diego Armando Maradona."

    Maradona won 91 caps for Argentina between 1977 and 1994, scoring 34 goals at international level.

    He started his career with Argentinos Juniors, before joining Boca Juniors and going on to play for Barcelona, Sevilla and Newell's Old Boys, as well as Napoli, before returning to La Bombonera in 1995.

    Maradona also had stints in charge of Textil Mandiyu, Racing Club, Al-Wasl, Fujairah and Dorados de Sinaloa in Mexico before being appointed head coach by Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata last year.

    He remained Gimnasia coach until his death.

  • Mourinho has made Tottenham Premier League title contenders - Robinson Mourinho has made Tottenham Premier League title contenders - Robinson

    Jose Mourinho has turned Tottenham into genuine Premier League title contenders, according to former Spurs goalkeeper Paul Robinson. 

    Mourinho's men host bitter rivals Arsenal on Sunday and sit top of the table heading into the weekend, making them clear favourites to cement their bragging rights. 

    It was widely regarded as a controversial move when Spurs swapped Mauricio Pochettino for Mourinho in November 2019, but the Portuguese has proven his worth. 

    With 19 victories from 36 top-flight games, he has a win percentage of 52.8, with Tottenham's lofty position a vast improvement on the 14th spot they occupied when he took charge. 

    And former England international Robinson, who played for Spurs between 2004 and 2008, paid credit to chairman Daniel Levy for making the bold decision to bring Mourinho in, insisting the club could now be considered among the front-runners for the title.

    "I think there were a lot of questions asked when Pochettino was sacked when he was," Robinson told Stats Perform News. 

    "Eyebrows were raised when Mourinho came in, but I think Daniel Levy has to take a lot of credit. 

    "He's employed a world-class manager, a winner of a manager, someone who knows how to win trophies, a certain mentality that's needed in the dressing room. 

    "Jose was brought to Spurs for a reason. Pochettino took them so far but couldn't get them over the line. 

    "He [Mourinho] has got that mentality, that cutting edge, he's not afraid to make big decisions and he's been heavily backed in the transfer market again by the chairman, which was fantastic to see. 

    "You look at the squad they've got now, they've got a real serious chance of winning the title this year." 

    Spurs' only league defeat this season came in their opening game against Everton, with their subsequent nine-match unbeaten run the longest ongoing streak in the division. 

    Recent history against the Gunners weighs heavily in the hosts' favour too, as Spurs have not lost in their past six home games against their rivals. 

    Mourinho's personal record against Arsenal also provides cause for optimism, with the 57-year-old having tasted defeat only once in 17 Premier League games against them. 

    After overseeing a 2-1 victory in July's meeting, he is aiming to become only the second Spurs manager to win his first two north London derbies, Jimmy Anderson the first to do so in the 1955-56 campaign. 

    The former Chelsea boss expects to be able call on Harry Kane, who did not feature in the midweek Europa League draw at LASK, with the Tottenham talisman having scored 10 goals against Arsenal – he needs one more to become the fixture's all-time leading scorer.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.