Messi will retire at Barcelona in three or four years - Bartomeu

By Sports Desk August 05, 2020

Lionel Messi will retire as a Barcelona player in "three or four years", according to club president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi has a contract at Camp Nou until the end of the 2020-21 season, but Bartomeu last month said he expects the superstar forward to sign an extension.

The 33-year-old has been linked with a return to boyhood club Newell's Old Boys before hanging up his boots.

However, Bartomeu has no doubt Barca's all-time leading goalscorer Messi will end his career with the Catalan giants, which could happen by 2023.

"It's not just me who says it. Messi says it himself, that he wants to finish his professional playing career at Barcelona and it's the only club for him," Bartomeu told beIN SPORTS.

"I don't have any doubt that when he finishes his football career in three or four years that it will be here in Barcelona.

"Messi has it very clear. He's been here since he was a kid. He knows the colours and he's a part of the club's history.

"He's the best player in the world. Not just right now, but in the history of the game. He's at Barcelona and has made clear he wants to stay here."

Another priority for Bartomeu is tying goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen down to a new contract, as his existing deal has just two years left on it.

"Marc is an excellent player and person, he has always shown that as a goalkeeper," said Bartomeu.

"With the current situation with COVID-19, he said, 'Let's hope everything is calmer to talk about it in the future.' But his future is to renew with Barca.

"We have a goalkeeper for many years because he is young. When everything passes, we will talk with Marc to finalise his renewal."

Despite being yet to play a game for Barca, Francisco Trincao and Pedri have been linked with exits from Camp Nou.

Trincao is reportedly a target for Leicester City, while Bayern Munich are said to have an interest in Pedri.

Bartomeu has no plans to sell either player as Barca prepare for the future with a new generation of talent.

"Trincao and Pedri are not for sale," he said. "Young players are coming who will be the stars in a few years."

Related items

  • Ansu Fati takes Barcelona's number 22 shirt and has buy-out clause raised to €400m Ansu Fati takes Barcelona's number 22 shirt and has buy-out clause raised to €400m

    Ansu Fati has officially become a member of Barcelona's first-team squad following a brilliant breakthrough campaign, with his buy-out clause raised to €400million.

    The winger will wear the number 22, which had been left vacant following Arturo Vidal's departure to Inter.

    He had previously been given the number 31 shirt, but did not officially count as a first-team player despite making 33 appearances in all competitions in 2019-20.

    Barca have also confirmed that the teenager's buy-out clause has gone up from €170m to €400m now he is a first-team player, as was agreed when Fati's deal with the club was renewed in December.

    The 17-year-old scored eight goals in total last season for Barca, and has won two caps for Spain – putting in a superb display in a 4-0 rout over Ukraine in his first international start earlier in September.

    Fati scored his penultimate LaLiga goal of last season in a 4-1 win over Villarreal in July. It was the club's 9,000th competitive strike.

    Having missed the first two games of the Ronald Koeman era due to a hip injury, Fati started against Elche in the Joan Gamper Trophy match.

    Barca, who are in the process of overhauling their squad after allowing Vidal, Arthur, Nelson Semedo and Ivan Rakitic to leave – with Luis Suarez on the verge of a move to Atletico Madrid too – start their LaLiga campaign against Villarreal on Sunday.

  • Flick still in contact with Gotze as Bayern return rumours circle Flick still in contact with Gotze as Bayern return rumours circle

    Hansi Flick acknowledged he remains in contact with Mario Gotze after rumours circulated the Germany World Cup winner could return to Bayern Munich.

    Gotze spent three years at Bayern between 2013 and 2016, winning the Bundesliga in each season and the DFB-Pokal twice, before returning to Borussia Dortmund.

    The attacking midfielder was released at the end of last season, though, after struggling to regain the form that saw him rise through the ranks at Signal Iduna Park.

    Flick was assistant to Joachim Low when Gotze scored the winning goal for Germany in the 2014 World Cup final and German publication Bild suggested the Bayern boss is keen on bringing him back to bolster his midfield, an option that has proved attractive as there is no fee involved.

    Asked at a news conference prior to Bayern's Super Cup clash with Sevilla about Gotze, Flick replied: "As far as Mario Gotze is concerned, I am still in close contact with players who played in the national team during my time. 

    "He went through a difficult phase and we spoke on the phone several times. I appreciate Mario very much and I know where he has his strengths, but he is currently not an issue for us."

    Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, a member of the World Cup-winning team, talked up Gotze's qualities.

    "Much has been said about it. Mario is a very good player who knows the Bayern environment and I think he said himself that he wanted to win the Champions League," he said. 

    "He has ambitious goals and is very ambitious. He's in good shape, even though he wasn't preparing for a team. We'll see where it ends up later. I can only say that Mario Gotze is a good player. "

    Flick, who hopes Robert Lewandowski will complete a full training session after taking a knock in the 8-0 hammering of Schalke, was asked how he felt about fans being allowed into the Puskas Arena for the annual European curtain-raiser.

    The stadium will have no more than 30 per cent capacity but there were 951 new cases of coronavirus confirmed in Hungary over the past 24 hours.

    "In Munich I almost live in a corona hotspot, so not too much has changed. No, we came to play football, decisions are made elsewhere," Flick added. 

    "We're here to play football and we aim to win the Super Cup. We know that we can win these games. 

    "I'm a coach, I'm not an advisor for things like that. I hope I have the right advice for my players. Everything else should be done by others."

  • Alli to return for Tottenham but Mourinho urges player to improve Alli to return for Tottenham but Mourinho urges player to improve

    Dele Alli is set to stay at Tottenham and will get his chance in the Europa League qualifier against Shkendija but must now perform, says coach Jose Mourinho.

    England international Alli has not featured since he was substituted at half-time of Spurs' Premier League opener at home to Everton, a 1-0 defeat.

    Alli, who scored nine goals in 38 games in all competitions last season, did not even make the bench for subsequent victories over Lokomotiv Plovdiv and Southampton.

    The 24-year-old's future has appeared uncertain as links to Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain emerged while Mourinho offered no assurances.

    Spurs will soon welcome Gareth Bale into the group as he recovers from injury amid his return to the club from Madrid, but Alli first has an opportunity to impress in North Macedonia on Thursday.

    "Dele Alli will make the trip," Mourinho told a news conference ahead of the third qualifying round match. "I always said that Dele will have a chance. He's coming.

    "He'll have a chance to perform and it's important that he does. It's important that every player does."

    Mourinho does not expect Alli to leave but insists it is up to the player to improve.

    "I see him staying," the coach added. "There is a tendency now, when a player performs or doesn't perform, to give responsibility to the coach because they gave him the right stick or didn't.

    "I always feel that 99 per cent of the responsibility is the player. I, and the staff who work with the player, have one per cent."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.