EPL

Cook leaves Wigan job with 'heavy heart'

By Sports Desk August 01, 2020

Wigan Athletic have confirmed manager Paul Cook has left the financially troubled club.

Following his appointment in May 2017, Cook claimed the League One title in his first season in charge, while Wigan finished 18th in the Championship the following campaign to retain their status in the second tier.

Wigan appeared on course to stay up again this term after a spectacular run of form since the start of 2020, but they were deducted 12 points after entering administration and went on to be relegated.

While they have launched an appeal - they would have finished 13th without the points sanction - Cook announced his departure on Saturday with a "heavy heart".

"It is well publicised that the club is going through an incredibly challenging period and, of course, we are all hoping a positive outcome can be found so this football club can write its next chapter under new ownership," he said in a statement.

"That has to be the main priority for everyone involved and I know the administrators are working hard to ensure the club can get through these difficult times and find new owners.

"I want to thank every player for their efforts, hard work and commitment during my three years as manager. I would like to thank my assistant Leam Richardson and as a collective I thank all of my support staff and the staff behind the scenes who are so pivotal to the football club.

"We must also not forget the 75 people who unfortunately lost their jobs a few weeks ago and I hope for those people that the club can find a positive solution and move forwards in the near future."

Cook has been linked with the vacancy at Bristol City, while he was also rumoured to be in the running for the Birmingham City job before the appointment of Aitor Karanka.

Related items

  • Benfica complete triple swoop for Vertonghen, Everton and Waldschmidt Benfica complete triple swoop for Vertonghen, Everton and Waldschmidt

    Benfica have confirmed the signings of Jan Vertonghen, Everton Soares and Luca Waldschmidt.

    In an announcement on Friday, Benfica revealed the three additions to coach Jorge Jesus' squad.

    Vertonghen, who will wear the number five shirt, arrives as a free agent after the experienced Belgium defender left Tottenham at the end of the 2019-20 Premier League season.

    Meanwhile, Everton – who was also linked with the English club of the same name – has joined for an undisclosed fee from Gremio.

    The 24-year-old winger has made 14 appearances for Brazil, scoring three goals.

    Waldschmidt arrives from Bundesliga club Freiburg, having netted seven league goals to help his former side finish eighth in 2019-20.

    A three-time Germany international, Waldschmidt will wear the number 10 jersey.

    Benfica finished second in Portugal's Primeira Liga last term, five points behind champions Porto.

  • Messi to Inter? Nerazzurri capable of signing Barcelona star, says ex-president Moratti Messi to Inter? Nerazzurri capable of signing Barcelona star, says ex-president Moratti

    Inter owners Suning have the resources to sign Lionel Messi from Barcelona, according to the Italian club's former president Massimo Moratti.

    Barca superstar Messi has been linked with a shock switch to Inter once his contract expires in 2021 after reportedly growing unhappy at Camp Nou.

    That speculation only intensified last month when a picture of the six-time Ballon d'Or winner was projected by the Suning Group onto the Duomo di Milano.

    And Moratti, who brought Ronaldo to Inter and also tried to sign Messi, is confident the Serie A giants will land the Argentina international if they really want him.

    "I'm just a fan and I don't have any confidential news," he told Quotidiano Sportivo.

    "But I know one thing. When it comes to resources and competence, Suning has what it takes to bring Messi to Milan."

    Inter already have a prolific attacker leading their line in the form of Romelu Lukaku, who has scored 31 goals in his first season since joining from Manchester United.

    Moratti suggested at the start of the season Mauro Icardi would be a better option than Lukaku, but he has admitted to being proved wrong by Lukaku.

    "I got it wrong on Lukaku," he said. "In all honesty, I thought he was just physically strong and feared we would regret losing Icardi.

    "Instead, Romelu is a champion, always helps his team-mates and has good vision of the play.

    "Antonio Conte was right to demand his signing and then did so well to improve him."

  • England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement

    Sarina Wiegman will succeed Phil Neville as England Women's head coach from September next year. 

    The Netherlands boss will replace the former Manchester United defender on a four-year deal.

    Neville's contract expires in July 2021, with the 43-year-old having been appointed in January 2018.

    Wiegman will remain in charge of her home nation for the delayed Tokyo Olympics in 2021, while it remains to be seen who will oversee the Great Britain team in Japan.

    "England is the cradle of football and I'm very much looking forward to contributing my experience and expertise to this ambitious team," said Wiegman, who guided Netherlands to the Euro 2017 title and last year's World Cup final.

    Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham said: "Sarina was the outstanding candidate from a very strong field.

    "She is a proven winner and we are confident she can take England to the next level, giving us the best possible opportunity of achieving our ambition to win a major tournament."

    The 50-year-old's first opportunity to deliver on that will be at the postponed Women's Euros, now scheduled for July 2022.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.