Tuchel fumes at suggestions quadruple-winning PSG have problems

By Sports Desk August 01, 2020

An irate Thomas Tuchel insisted he is not concerned by Paris Saint-Germain's lack of goals after they completed a domestic clean sweep of trophies on Friday.

PSG added the Coupe de la Ligue trophy to their triumphs in the Trophee des Champions, Ligue 1 and Coupe de France this season when they beat Lyon 6-5 in a penalty shoot-out.

The showpiece at the Stade de France was not befitting the last ever Coupe de la Ligue final as neither team could find a goal across 120 minutes, with PSG clearly missing the brilliance of injured forward Kylian Mbappe.

Since their season resumed, PSG - who found the net 75 times in 27 Ligue 1 games in 2019-20 - have only scored twice across 210 minutes when Neymar netted the winner in the Coupe de France final last week.

Yet when such a statistic was put to Tuchel, he reacted angrily.

"So, what's the big deal," he said to reporters.

"Yes, we're still lucky. You can write it down. It's the only thing, we're lucky. That's the way it is, no quality, only luck.

"It's football. It's football. It's only football.

"Do you know the result of Liverpool against Barcelona in Barcelona [when Liverpool lost 3-0 in 2019]? How they played and then they won the Champions League. Give me a team that scores four or five goals in every match... it's not possible.

"But you are always looking for something negative - 99 positive points but no, we'll look for the 100th one which will be negative. We're going to look for problems.

"There's no problem, we won. I'm not going to apologise for this goal story. Since how many games have we had? No need to find excuses for that."

PSG's campaign is not over yet as they have a Champions League quarter-final against Atalanta to look forward to in Lisbon on August 12.

Tuchel has already admitted that Mbappe, who sprained his ankle in the Coupe de France final, needs "a miracle" to be fit for that game.

Related items

  • Reggae Boy Maalique Foster remains hospitalized after Tuesday shooting incident Reggae Boy Maalique Foster remains hospitalized after Tuesday shooting incident

     Reggae Boyz forward Maalique Foster remains in hospital tonight after he was shot and injured in Southborough, Portmore, St Catherine Tuesday night during an incident in which two men were killed.

    The 23-year-old forward was among a group of friends when gunmen opened fire. Foster was hit in the neck and was taken to hospital.

    Horace Reid, the Director of Caribbean Football at CONCACAF, who was been in contact with Foster said the player underwent scans this afternoon but he will not be released from hospital until doctors have reviewed the results of the scans and determine that it is safe for him to be discharged.

    Foster was on loan in Israel at Ironi Kiryat Shmona from Costa Rican club Liga Deportiva Alajuelense. However, his contract reportedly expired in July. He contract was not renewed but he was mulling exploring the Israeli league for the 2021 season.

    Between 2015 and 2018, he made 70 appearances for Portmore United. He scored 14 goals for the St Catherine-based Premier League club.

    He made his international debut for Jamaica in January 2018, in a friendly match against South Korea in Antalya, Turkey.

     

  • Neymar could miss PSG's next few games, fears Tuchel Neymar could miss PSG's next few games, fears Tuchel

    Neymar may miss Paris Saint-Germain's next few matches after limping off in Wednesday's Champions League win over Istanbul Basaksehir, Thomas Tuchel revealed after the game. 

    The Brazil international felt slight discomfort in his left thigh and was replaced by Pablo Sarabia as a precautionary measure with 26 minutes played at the Fatih Terim Stadium. 

    PSG have three matches in the next 10 days - against Nantes and Rennes in Ligue 1, either side of a trip to RB Leipzig in the Champions League - before the international break. 

    And Tuchel is worried Neymar, who has two goals and three assists in six appearances this term, will not play a part in any of those games. 

    "It was necessary to take him off," Tuchel told RMC Sport. "We now have to wait for a diagnosis. It was not serious pain, but he felt uncomfortable. 

    "Because of the tight schedule, it might cost him a few games, though I cannot be sure at this point." 

    Asked for a further update at his news conference, Tuchel said: "It is the adductor muscle. I hope it's not too bad an injury. We have to wait for the tests tomorrow." 

    Despite the early exit of Neymar, PSG earned a 2-0 win through Moise Kean's second-half brace as they recovered from last week's Group H defeat to Manchester United.

    Last season's beaten finalists produced a largely laboured display and Tuchel, who has had to fend off repeated questions over his future, admits an improvement is needed. 

    "We won - that's what we wanted to do," he said. "We know we will have to improve. Some things have been good for us, other things not. We play every three days, so we'll have time to work on that for the next few matches. 

    "We know we can play better, but we have to accept that we can't do it right now. It's more difficult but I want to protect my players because I think they are doing the maximum.  

    "We knew we were going to fall against a team that was going to put aggression in the game.  

    "It's true that we may have lacked communication in the first half. We corrected that in the second and won the game." 

    PSG managed only one attempt on target in the first half and were indebted to Kean for their victory. 

    The forward became the youngest ever Italian player to score on his first Champions League start at 20 years and 243 days, overtaking Alessandro Del Piero's record. 

    "This will give me the strength to continue working hard," said Kean, who has four goals in four appearances since joining on loan from Everton. 

    "It has been a good start. I have to be ready for my team-mates and be ready when called upon." 

    PSG have now found the net in 36 of their last 37 matches in all European competitions, the exception being August's Champions League final defeat to Bayern Munich.

  • TTFA files termination order on appeal of FIFA-imposed suspension TTFA files termination order on appeal of FIFA-imposed suspension

    Attorneys representing the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association today filed a termination order before the Court of Arbitration for Sport effectively ending their appeal of the suspension imposed on the association by FIFA last month.

    The termination order is in keeping with the resolutions arrived at on Sunday by the delegates of the association who voted en masse to end their seven-month dispute with the world governing body over a March 18 decision to appoint a normalization committee to manage the affairs of the debt-ridden association until the next Annual General Meeting scheduled for some time within the next three years.

    The delegates also voted to end all legal action against FIFA, which resulted in the termination order being filed today.

    The TTFA is hoping their actions along with others will see FIFA lifting their suspension before December 18. This will allow Trinidad and Tobago to participate in the draw for the 2020 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

    The TTFA was represented by Dr Emir Crowne, Mr Matthew Gayle, Ms Crystal Paul and Mr Jason Jones.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.