EPL

Brighton confirm signing of Lallana after Liverpool exit

By Sports Desk July 27, 2020

Adam Lallana has joined Brighton and Hove Albion on a three-year contract after leaving Premier League champions Liverpool.

Former England international Lallana has been a fringe man in recent seasons at Anfield and his Reds deal expired as the season ended on Sunday.

The 32-year-old was widely reported to have agreed a switch to Brighton, and the Seagulls confirmed the signing on Monday.

Brighton head coach Graham Potter said: "There is no doubting Adam's quality, and if you look at his footballing CV, his ability is clear for everyone to see.

"He has played at the very highest level, for both club and country, and achieved great things. He has a wealth of experience alongside his technical quality.

"The honours he won during his time at Liverpool and the high regard in which he is held at Anfield only further underline his ability and character.

"Adam is a really exciting signing for us, someone I am sure the supporters will be really looking forward to seeing play as and when things are able to begin to return to normal."

Lallana, who has earned 34 England caps, joined Liverpool from Southampton in 2014 and was a key figure through the early stages of Jurgen Klopp's tenure.

However, the midfielder suffered a thigh injury ahead of the 2017-18 season and continued to be dogged by fitness issues throughout the remainder of his time on Merseyside.

Liverpool have won the Champions League, UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup and Premier League in the past 14 months, but Lallana has struggled to enjoy a run in the team.

He started just nine league matches across the past three seasons, although a crucial late goal at Old Trafford earned Klopp's side a point against rivals Manchester United last October.

Lallana now joins a Brighton side who finished the season - their third since promotion - in 15th, seven points clear of the bottom three.

Related items

  • Solskjaer still unsure of Mata's future at Man United Solskjaer still unsure of Mata's future at Man United

    Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is unsure whether Juan Mata will remain at Old Trafford beyond this season.

    The Spanish midfielder has spent the last seven-and-a-half years at Old Trafford, racking up 271 appearances during that time.

    However, he has struggled for minutes this season – featuring just 16 times in all competitions – and is due to become a free agent next month.

    United have the option to trigger a 12-month extension in Mata's contract, but Solskjaer insists the player himself will have the final say over his future.

    "I've kept the dialogue with Juan and we're due to speak again very soon," he said at a news conference on Monday previewing his side's home match with Fulham. 

    "Of course, he's not played as much as he'd like and that's a decision that we'll make with him. He's in charge of his own future and he's been such a good servant for the club. 

    "But of course, it's hard, as I've said so many times, to leave good players out, good people out of the team. 

    "It's about what does he want as his next step in his career? Is it still play out his career here, or is it going somewhere else? We haven't made a final decision yet."

    Mata's appearance in a much-changed United's 2-1 loss to Leicester City last week was just his fifth start of the season in the Premier League, not helped by injuries and family matters.

    Prior to that rare outing against the Foxes, Mata had played just two minutes of top-flight football for United in 2021, coming on as a late substitute in February's 3-1 win against Newcastle United.

    He has failed to score in the league since April 2019 but does have two assists in 2020-21, which equates to 0.42 per 90 minutes and is the best record of any United player to have played more than once this term.

    Bruno Fernandes is next on the list with 0.33 assists per 90 minutes, albeit over a far greater period of 36 games compared to Mata's eight.

    The 33-year-old also ranks highly for chances created, the Spaniard's 1.69 per 90 minutes behind only Luke Shaw (2.53) and Fernandes (2.81).

    Serie A side Lazio are reportedly the favourites to sign the former Valencia and Chelsea man should he depart Old Trafford in the coming weeks. 

  • Ter Stegen confirms he will miss Germany's Euro 2020 campaign Ter Stegen confirms he will miss Germany's Euro 2020 campaign

    Marc-Andre ter Stegen has confirmed he will miss Germany's Euro 2020 campaign after opting to undergo a "therapeutic procedure" on his knee.

    Sunday's LaLiga results – including Celta Vigo's shock win at Camp Nou – mean Barcelona can no longer win the title, with the club and Ter Stegen subsequently deciding to cut his season short.

    A brief statement released by the club revealed Ter Stegen will "undergo a therapeutic procedure on the patellar tendon in his right knee on Thursday May 20 in Malmo by Dr Hakan Alfredson and under the supervision of the club's medial services".

    While Barca did not outline a return date, Ter Stegen provided an update on his official Instagram account on Monday, confirming it means he will play no part at the delayed Euro 2020.

    "I'm disappointed about yesterday's defeat and that now we can no longer win La Liga," he wrote.

    "After a complicated start to the season, we showed good character going 19 matches unbeaten – but we weren't able to keep this form.

    "I have decided together with the medical team of the club that I will do a complementary intervention on my knee.

    "I'm sad that I will miss Euro 2020 this summer with Germany. For the first time in many years I will be a fan at home supporting my country, I hope we win it!

    "After the summer break, when we are back on the pitch I hope to be able to play with fans [in attendance] once again, I miss it!

    "Thank you for your support throughout a difficult season and stay healthy!"

    Ter Stegen has featured 31 times in the league in 2020-21 for Barcelona, but his overall performance for the season has not been quite up to the high standards he has set previously.

    He has conceded 32 goals from shots on target worth 29.07 expected goals on target (xGOT), meaning he has let in nearly three goals more than expected. Celta's first goal on Sunday came from a speculative Santi Mina shot worth just 0.04 xGOT.

    Ter Stegen's xGOT differential of -2.93 this term is by far his worst across a single season at the club. In 2015-16, it was -1.44, though he only played seven LaLiga matches, while his next worst was -0.16 in 2019-20, a narrow margin which essentially meant he conceded as many goals as would be expected given the quality of the shots on target he faced.

    But for this procedure the ex-Borussia Monchengladbach man certainly would have been a part of the Germany squad next month, though he would have been playing back-up to Bayern Munich's Manuel Neuer.

    While Ter Stegen has let in more goals than he should have this season, Neuer has conceded 40 times in the Bundesliga from an xGOT value of 42.09, therefore preventing two goals in 2020-21.

    The Neuer or Ter Stegen debate has been a hot topic for Germany for a while now, though the data suggests that, at least this season, the Bayern star remains the safer option between the posts.

  • Tuchel says Chelsea must cope with undeserved losses as Liverpool close gap in top-four race Tuchel says Chelsea must cope with undeserved losses as Liverpool close gap in top-four race

    Chelsea face a challenge to cope with undeserved losses, according to manager Thomas Tuchel, as they bid to guarantee Champions League football next season.

    Qualification for Europe's top club competition via their league standing is still in the Blues' hands but, having lost 1-0 to Arsenal prior to their defeat by the same scoreline in Saturday's FA Cup final with Leicester City, they are just a point ahead of fifth-placed Liverpool with two games to go.

    The Reds claimed a dramatic 2-1 win over West Brom on Sunday to trim the deficit, goalkeeper Alisson heading in a remarkable winner at the death.

    But Tuchel sees no reason for Chelsea – who of course can still qualify for next season's competition by beating Manchester City in the Champions League final this month – to start nervously looking over their shoulders as they control their destiny going into Tuesday's rematch with Leicester.

    Instead, he views putting defeats in two games they dominated behind them as the bigger test for his side.

    Chelsea lost to Arsenal after a calamitous error by Jorginho, Tuchel's men finishing the game with an xG of 1.79 to the Gunners' 0.64.

    The cup final saw them beaten by a superb long-range effort by Youri Tielemans, with a late Wes Morgan own goal ruled out for offside as a game Chelsea ended with an xG of 0.78 to Leicester's 0.32 went in the favour of the Foxes.

    Asked if he watched Liverpool's win, Tuchel told a media conference: "I came home in the afternoon and I checked on the television and saw 1-1.

    "I checked again in the 95th minute and it was still 1-1. Then one minute later I saw. It doesn't make things boring. It was a fantastic header in the last minute that makes things interesting and tight. It's still in our hands.

    "The setback for us was the Arsenal game. We let the door open so Liverpool have a foot in the door. They're a strong team and it's what they do. We make a huge effort to overtake them and this is what we did. We should be aware of the huge performance we've made so far but we need to finish the job.

    "We need to rely on ourselves because we are in the situation where we don't have to look at other grounds.

    "We were ready to win the game in the cup final and I understand that after the Man City game there could be a drop of focus for the Arsenal game.

    "I never want it and we fight against the human side to drop a percentage but I can understand it.

    "I have no worries or regrets about Leicester. I felt my team fighting on an extremely high level. We can improve in composure and decision-making.

    "That is not new for us since we are together. So except the results, nothing much has changed.

    "I'm not afraid to say these are not deserved losses but they are losses and it's a challenge to cope with it. It's another step in our development."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.