EPL

Solskjaer: Liverpool and Man City are 'too far ahead' as Man Utd bid to bridge gap

By Sports Desk July 24, 2020

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits resurgent Manchester United must "step it up even more" next season if they hope to compete with Liverpool and Manchester City.

United are battling for third place and Champions League qualification heading into their final Premier League game of the season at Leicester City on Sunday.

Although finishing third would be a positive outcome given it appeared a distant prospect earlier this year, United's standards have generally been set much higher during the Premier League era.

Given it is arch-rivals Liverpool and neighbours City who have been sweeping all before them, any United celebrations at the end of this campaign are bound to be on the quiet side.

A 13-match unbeaten run in the top flight has taken United to the precipice of a Champions League return next season, but Solskjaer sounded a wary note. His side sit a hefty 33 points behind Liverpool after 37 games and 15 adrift of City.

"We've not ended up anywhere yet, so it's one more game to show we've become a better team," he said. "If we get a result against Leicester, I think people would say this journey has been a good one.

"But then again, this is not the end of the journey. If you get there, it's not like 'breathe and relax'. It's 'go again, go to the next one'.

"We know that there are two teams too far ahead of us, so we have to step it up even more."

United's recent league form has suggested they could be plausible challengers in 2020-21, but Solskjaer's former Red Devils team-mate Gary Neville has claimed they will need to recruit well, signing three or four top players, just to be in the hunt for a top-three finish next term.

Asked about Neville's comments, Solskjaer told a news conference: "There's no point now discussing what we need for next season. We need to just focus on the game against Leicester."

As for whether third place was good enough for a club of United's stature, Solskjaer was non-committal, indicating he would rather enter that debate after his team wrap up their Premier League and Europa League campaigns.

"Let's get this game out the way and get the third position and continue the growth and the journey this team's on," he said.

"Of course we've had some hard times this season, some setbacks, but we've shown and we've proven this is a team going places.

"And if we can finish this season with a trophy in Europe and third position, we can discuss that then."

Related items

  • Leeds agree Llorente deal with Real Sociedad Leeds agree Llorente deal with Real Sociedad

    Leeds United moved a step closer to the signing of Diego Llorente after Real Sociedad announced the teams have reached an agreement in principle.

    The move is subject to Llorente passing a medical at Leeds in a deal that reportedly could reach £18.7million (€20m).

    The former Real Madrid centre-back joined Sociedad in 2017 following successful loan spells at Rayo Vallecano and Malaga in LaLiga.

    A statement issued by his club read: "Real Sociedad would like to thank Diego for the professionalism and commitment shown during the three years that he has been here, at the same time wishing him the best for his personal and professional future."

    Spain international Llorente will likely have to compete with captain Liam Cooper and new signing Robin Koch for a starting place in the centre of defence.

    Leeds have three points from their opening two Premier League games, having bounced back from losing 4-3 at Liverpool to defeat Fulham by the same scoreline.

  • Moyes and two players miss West Ham game after positive COVID-19 tests Moyes and two players miss West Ham game after positive COVID-19 tests

    David Moyes, Issa Diop and Josh Cullen were forced to leave London Stadium ahead of West Ham's EFL Cup clash with Hull City after discovering they had tested positive for COVID-19.

    Hammers manager Moyes had named Diop and Cullen in his line-up for the third-round match on Tuesday but the trio returned home upon learning of the results to being self-isolating.

    The match started as planned, with Harrison Ashby and Jack Wilshere promoted to West Ham's starting XI and assistant manager Alan Irvine overseeing the team.

    A statement read: "West Ham United can confirm that David Moyes, Issa Diop and Josh Cullen have returned positive tests for COVID-19.

    "The club's medical team were informed of the test results as the team were at London Stadium preparing for this evening's EFL Cup third round tie against Hull City. The manager and both players immediately left the stadium and have returned home.

    "All three, who are asymptomatic, will now follow Public Health England and Premier League guidelines and protocols.

    "Everyone at West Ham United send their best wishes to David, Issa and Josh.

    "The club's measures and protocols around COVID-19 remain stringent. This included offering to test the Hull City team ahead of tonight's fixture – an offer which they opted not to accept."

    Tottenham saw their EFL Cup fixture called off on Wednesday after Leyton Orient revealed "a number" of their players had tested positive for coronavirus.

  • Age is just a number – Chelsea's Thiago Silva has no concerns about Premier League speed Age is just a number – Chelsea's Thiago Silva has no concerns about Premier League speed

    Thiago Silva insists "age is just a number" and he is not worried about adapting to the speed of Premier League football following his move to Chelsea.

    Chelsea signed 36-year-old centre-back Silva on a free transfer following the expiration of his contract at Champions League finalists Paris Saint-Germain.

    The Brazil international is set to make his debut in the EFL Cup third-round meeting with Barnsley on Wednesday, three days before the Blues head to West Brom in the Premier League.

    Silva is not concerned about being shown up in England's top flight, referring to Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti's statement that he would have signed Usain Bolt over James Rodriguez if he wanted a sprinter.

    "I don't worry at all because I know where I want to get to. I really have high hopes about this young team," said Silva on his birthday on Tuesday.

    "Physically, I feel really good – age is just a number on your documentation. Physically, I feel very young and I've been preparing my whole life.

    "People who know me know I put 200 per cent into my work and this is a great opportunity that Chelsea and Lampard have given me and I really don't want to let them down.

    "I never saw myself in the Premier League before, because I thought it was too difficult style of football. I didn't have any desire to play in the Premier League because my impression of the football played was of long balls, high balls and long shots.

    "I couldn't really see myself playing in this league but over time I saw that it developed tremendously, there's a lot more technical quality. A lot of teams play with the ball on the ground, with the full-backs attacking in the area and every team has their own idea and strengths but I previously saw it characterised by long balls and that didn't appeal to me.

    "I know how to play that way, but my preference is to play with the ball on the ground. I know my quality, little-by-little, the Premier League football really won me over. Anyone who knows me, knows that.

    "At 36, I am arriving to play in one of the best championships in the world. This is usually a league of young players but I am coming here as an older player and I see it as because Frank Lampard and Chelsea want a player of my experience.

    "If someone wants a runner, then I refer to the words that Carlo Ancelotti used for James: 'If you want someone to run, they can sign Usain Bolt'.

    "With my experience and the young players here, I hope to help them in this new adventure."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.