Bayern to face Marseille in friendly before Chelsea second leg

By Sports Desk July 21, 2020

Bayern Munich will prepare for the latter stages of the Champions League by hosting Marseille in a friendly on July 31.

Bayern are aiming to complete a stunning treble following their post-shutdown romp to the Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal titles.

The German champions are well placed to reach the final eight-team mini-tournament in Lisbon as they lead Chelsea 3-0 heading into the home leg of their last-16 tie.

But Bayern have not played since the Pokal final against Bayer Leverkusen on July 4 and so have organised an exhibition match against Marseille at the FC Bayern Campus. They then face Chelsea on August 8.

Head coach Hansi Flick said: "The 'Audi Football Summit' against Olympique Marseille comes at an optimal time in our preparations for the second leg of the Champions League round of 16 against Chelsea.

"The team and our coaching staff will be working with great focus and high quality to make sure we pick up where we left off with our performances in the Bundesliga and the DFB-Pokal final in this game."

Marseille are preparing for the 2020-21 Ligue 1 season after the previous campaign was curtailed due to coronavirus.

Related items

  • Leipzig bolster attacking options with Sorloth signing Leipzig bolster attacking options with Sorloth signing

    RB Leipzig have signed Alexander Sorloth from Crystal Palace in a deal worth €22million (£20.5m).

    Bundesliga side Leipzig have agreed to pay Trabzonspor €10m to terminate Sorloth's loan from Palace, which was due to run until the end of the 2020-21 season.

    The Premier League side will also receive €10m (£9.3m) up front, with a further €2m (£1.9m) payable in add-ons to be split between Palace and Trabzonspor.

    Norway international Sorloth, 24, has put pen to paper on a five-year contract at the Red Bull Arena after scoring 24 goals in 34 Super Lig appearances last season.

    Despite the arrival of Hwang Hee-chang from Salzburg, Julian Nagelsmann was still keen to bolster his attacking options after seeing Timo Werner leave for Chelsea and Patrik Schick join Bayer Leverkusen after his loan from Roma ended.

    "After the initial talks, it quickly became clear to me that I wanted to play for RB Leipzig," said Sorloth.

    "The club were impressive in the league last season, and even more so in the Champions League.

    "The attacking brand of football that Julian Nagelsmann plays suits me well. I'm looking forward to challenge together in the Bundesliga as well as the Champions League."

    CEO Oliver Mintzlaff added: "We're very pleased with the signing of Alexander Sorloth. Successfully pulling off this complex transfer was only made possible thanks to the good co-operation among our team, who I'd expressly like to thank.

    "Not only does Alexander fit our philosophy perfectly, he is a tough centre forward who can also play out wide, who is the missing piece to our squad-planning puzzle this season."

    Prior to 2019-20, Sorloth's best return in a league season was 13 goals from 26 appearances for Bodo/Glimt in the 2015 Eliteserien.

    Spells with Groningen, Midtjylland, Palace and Gent preceded his move to Trabzonspor last year.

  • Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player

    Roma have been punished with a 3-0 defeat for fielding an ineligible player against Hellas Verona in their Serie A opener on Saturday.

    Lega Serie A announced on Tuesday that Roma used a player over the age of 22 who had not been registered on their 25-man list with the league.

    According to widespread reports, the administrative error relates to Amadou Diawara, who turned 23 in July.

    The game at the Marc'Antonio Bentegodi finished goalless but Roma will return to zero points for the season following their sanction.

    Verona head coach Ivan Juric was fined €5,000 for giving his team instructions from the stands while serving a touchline ban.

  • Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus

    Jose Gimenez has tested positive for coronavirus, Atletico Madrid have confirmed.

    The Uruguay defender was the only player from Monday's tests to return a positive result, the club said in a statement on Tuesday.

    Gimenez is now isolating at home, with Atletico confirming LaLiga's protocol has been implemented and the players will complete the next training session individually.

    Head coach Diego Simeone also tested positive for the virus earlier this month and underwent a period of isolation, though he did not display any symptoms.

    Atletico are due to start their new season at home to Granada at the Wanda Metropolitano on Sunday.

    Simeone's men finished third in a disrupted 2019-20 campaign, while they were knocked out of the Champions League at the quarter-finals stage by RB Leipzig.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.