Conte sees positive signs for Inter despite injury problems

By Sports Desk July 18, 2020

Antonio Conte pointed to injuries hampering Inter during his first season in charge as they aim to close the gap on leaders Juventus at the top of Serie A.

The Nerazzurri have recorded back-to-back victories to move up to second in the table, six points behind the reigning champions ahead of Sunday's trip to Roma.

Conte's side can cut the deficit in half to keep the pressure on Juve, who play Lazio on Monday, though Inter's Scudetto bid during a truncated campaign has been hurt by key players missing extended periods of time.

Alexis Sanchez has been plagued by injuries since arriving on loan from Manchester United, while Stefano Sensi has figured sparingly in 2020 due to a number of issues, the latest being a pulled thigh muscle.

However, despite having to cope with depleted attacking resources at times, Conte has been pleased how others have seized their opportunities.

"This is something we've unfortunately had to deal since the start of the season," the Inter boss told the club's website when asked about injuries. 

"After a bad injury to Sanchez's ankle, we were without Alexis for four to five months, while it's also been a tough year in midfield due to recurring injuries.

"Just thinking about Sensi, he's a player who we've had for so little time, or the bad injuries to (Roberto) Gagliardini and (Nicolo) Barella, (Matias) Vecino too, who has had constant trouble with his knee.

"These are two areas of the pitch that have caused both me and us problems, but looking at the glass as half full, those who have played have shown and are continuing to show big responses.

"I'm talking about players like Gagliardini, (Marcelo) Brozovic and Borja Valero, then we've got (Christian) Eriksen, whose settling in. I think that there are definitely positives to be taken."

Romelu Lukaku was not involved in the 4-0 win over SPAL on Thursday but could return to face Roma, who are in need of points in the battle to finish fifth.

Conte is concerned that those who featured last time out have had little time to recover before the clash at the Stadio Olimpico, though the SPAL performance demonstrated the improvements made by the squad.

"We're talking about a well-equipped side, a squad full of excellent players and a great coach," the former Chelsea boss said. 

"It's a very difficult game that arrives just two days after our away game with SPAL, so we've had to deal with the travelling and one day less to recover.

"But from a positive point of view, we're full of enthusiasm after seeing that the work we're doing is starting to be recognised."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool and Wolves could be set for another deal, Arsenal's shortlist includes four Rumour Has It: Liverpool and Wolves could be set for another deal, Arsenal's shortlist includes four

    Liverpool and Wolves could be involved in another deal, while Arsenal's shortlist reportedly includes four players.

    Premier League champions Liverpool confirmed the signing of Diogo Jota from Wolves on Saturday, with Ki-Jana Hoever heading in the opposite direction.

    But the business between the clubs may not end there.

     

    TOP STORY – WOLVES TARGET OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN

    Wolves are eyeing a move for Liverpool midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, according to the Mirror.

    The report comes after Liverpool signed star midfielder Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich earlier this week.

    Oxlade-Chamberlain arrived at Anfield from Arsenal in 2017, and made 43 appearances in all competitions in 2019-20.

    ROUND-UP

    - Arsenal could strengthen further. The Express reports the Premier League club have Lyon star Houssem Aouar, Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey, Dijon goalkeeper Runar Alex Runarsson and Brentford shot-stopper David Raya on their shortlist.

    - Staying in the Premier League and Goal reports Atletico Madrid attacker Thomas Lemar has interest from two clubs in England's top flight. Arsenal, Wolves and Everton have been linked with Lemar previously.

    - Manchester City are reportedly close to signing a centre-back. AS reports the Premier League giants are close to sealing a deal for Sevilla's Jules Kounde, a 21-year-old who is a France youth international.

    - Arturo Vidal is finally set to get his move to Inter. Fabrizio Romano reports Inter have agreed a €1million fee with Barcelona for the midfielder, while he also says veteran defender Diego Godin will join Cagliari next week.

    - After almost signing Daniel James in 2019, Leeds United could be set for another move for the attacker. The Sun reports Leeds are planning a move for James, who joined Manchester United in 2019.

    - Staying at Old Trafford and another exit is expected. The Sun says the Red Devils are looking for a new club for Sergio Romero with the goalkeeper upset about missing last month's Europa League semi-final loss to Sevilla.

  • Arsenal not in contract talks with Lacazette – Arteta Arsenal not in contract talks with Lacazette – Arteta

    Arsenal are yet to begin contract talks with Alexandre Lacazette, manager Mikel Arteta confirmed.

    Lacazette is contracted at the Premier League club until 2022, but there has been speculation over the forward's future.

    The Frenchman scored his 50th goal for Arsenal during Saturday's 2-1 win over West Ham at Emirates Stadium.

    But there have been no talks for the 29-year-old to renew his deal at Arsenal, Arteta later confirmed.

    "At the moment, we haven't started any negotiations," he said.

    "We have a lot of things still to do in this market and at the moment we are focusing on those things."

    Arteta said he was pleased with Lacazette, who arrived at the club from Lyon in 2017.

    "He's a player I'm really happy with. I think we've shown him a lot of faith since I arrived here," he said.

    "But we cannot start any speculation. We know that any player who is under two years of their contract is always going to be talked about."

  • Riqui Puig should leave Barcelona on loan – Koeman Riqui Puig should leave Barcelona on loan – Koeman

    Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman has told Riqui Puig he should leave the club on loan.

    Puig, 21, has been linked with a move from Barca, and played no part in Saturday's 1-0 Joan Gamper Trophy win over Elche at Camp Nou.

    Koeman said while Puig was part of his plans, the midfielder should look for short-term opportunities elsewhere.

    "I've told [Riqui Puig] that he has a future here, but it depends on the player," he said, via Marca.

    "I'd recommend that he went out on loan.

    "At 20 years of age, the young players have to play. They can't get stuck for a period of time.

    "We've got three weeks and we've got competition."

    Antoine Griezmann's early goal helped Barca past Elche, as the forward, Ansu Fati, Lionel Messi and Philippe Coutinho all started.

    Coutinho is back from his loan spell at Bayern Munich and Koeman talked up the playmaker.

    "Let's hope we can see a great version of him. For me, he's a great player," he said.

    "He works well physically and with the ball. He's an important player for the team."

    Barcelona will begin their LaLiga season against Villarreal on September 27.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.