EPL

Man Utd star Wan-Bissaka says Zaha tests braced him for Premier League life

By Sports Desk July 16, 2020

Manchester United rising star Aaron Wan-Bissaka says it was an eye-opener when he first faced Wilfried Zaha in training – as the pair prepare to do battle in the Premier League.

Former Crystal Palace team-mates Wan-Bissaka and Zaha are set to be on rival sides on Thursday when United travel to Selhurst Park.

And that means full-back Wan-Bissaka will be charged with stopping the Palace winger's mazy runs, which as he once discovered on the practice pitch is no easy task.

Wan-Bissaka was converted from a striker to a defender while a youngster with Palace, a gradual process that included a spell on the wing.

"Then it started from a training session when someone had to fill in at right-back," Wan-Bissaka told United's official website.

"Training against Wilf, I think he sort of prepared me for what it is like playing in the Premier League.

"I learned a lot from him. He's an unpredictable player and tests like that are ones that made me a better player."

Zaha has terrified defences in Palace colours, but a stint at United did not work out earlier in his career and he soon rejoined the Eagles.

For Wan-Bissaka, the long-term prospects look bright with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team, but the 22-year-old will always look back fondly on his time with Palace, who stunned United 2-1 at Old Trafford earlier in the season.

He predicted it would feel strange to return to Selhurst Park, particularly given a near-empty stadium awaited, but added: "Palace mean a lot to me.

"They are the team that brought me through the system and, without them, I don't think I'd be here. They've given me chances to show what I am capable of doing."

Related items

  • Melbourne Victory 2-3 Central Coast Mariners: Late Ruiz-Diaz brace inflicts club-record loss Melbourne Victory 2-3 Central Coast Mariners: Late Ruiz-Diaz brace inflicts club-record loss

    Dylan Ruiz-Diaz's first A-League goals condemned Melbourne Victory to a club-record fifth successive loss as Central Coast Mariners claimed a late 3-2 triumph, ending a lengthy winless run of their own.

    Rock-bottom Mariners looked set to conclude their A-League season with a sequence of 13 matches without a victory, but 19-year-old substitute Ruiz-Diaz turned things around in the final five minutes to earn them a first win since January 12, when they also beat Monday's opponents 3-2.

    Marco Rojas' brace either side of Dylan Fox's effort early in the second half had Victory in charge, but Ruiz-Diaz – brought on just before the hour-mark – levelled in the 85th minute with an emphatic finish.

    He then clinched the three points four minutes later, slotting in after latching onto Milan Djuric's throughball to end the Mariners' winless streak and inflict an unwanted club record on second-bottom Victory.

  • Ginter 'definitely staying at Gladbach' despite Chelsea, Inter & Atletico interest Ginter 'definitely staying at Gladbach' despite Chelsea, Inter & Atletico interest

    Matthias Ginter is to remain at Borussia Monchengladbach despite reported interest from a host of European clubs.

    The Germany centre-back has been linked with the likes of Chelsea, Inter and Atletico Madrid.

    However, after a 2019-20 season that saw Gladbach finish fourth in the Bundesliga and qualify for the Champions League, Ginter wants to help the Foals take the next step.

    "I'm definitely staying in Gladbach," Ginter told Kicker magazine.

    "Of course I heard of the enquiries and was flattered by this attention, but I've said often enough how good things are for me in Gladbach.

    "This team has huge potential. And the coach [Marco Rose] gives us a great deal of added value.

    "With the amazing fans and surroundings here, this club is currently in the process of building something. I share these big ambitions and I also have a contract here."

  • Cagliari hire Di Francesco to replace Zenga Cagliari hire Di Francesco to replace Zenga

    Cagliari have hired Eusebio Di Francesco as their new coach after opting to cut short the stay of Walter Zenga.

    Former Italy goalkeeper Zenga had been appointed during the coronavirus-enforced suspension, replacing Rolando Maran on a deal until June 30, 2021.

    Speaking ahead of Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Milan in the club's final match of the season, Zenga seemed optimistic about his chances of continuing at the helm next term.

    But club president Tommaso Giulini was clearly of a differing opinion, with Cagliari confirming on Sunday that Zenga's stay had been terminated despite guiding them to safety.

    Di Francesco arrives in his place, signing a two-year deal as he returns to work following an ill-fated spell at Sampdoria last year.

    He presided over Sampdoria's first seven Serie A matches of the 2019-20 season, but was dismissed in October having lost six of those games.

    The former Roma boss will be hoping to rebuild his reputation with the Sardinian club, but will surely be aware he may have to hit the ground running if he is to do so, as he will be Cagliari's 19th coach since the start of 2010.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.