Inter eyeing Serie A leaders Juventus after surviving Torino scare – Godin

By Sports Desk July 13, 2020

Diego Godin said Inter have not given up on the Scudetto as they look to close the gap on Serie A leaders Juventus following their 3-1 win over Torino. 

Inter overcame a Samir Handanovic howler to leapfrog struggling Lazio into second position in the table with six matches remaining. 

Andrea Belotti was gifted a 17th-minute opener after Inter goalkeeper Handanovic fumbled a corner at the Torino star's feet at San Siro – heaping further misery on Antonio Conte and his stuttering side. 

But Inter – without Romelu Lukaku – rallied in the second half thanks to goals from Ashley Young, Godin and Lautaro Martinez, who ended his five-game scoreless drought. 

Inter are eight points behind defending champions Juve and after scoring his first Nerazzurri goal, veteran defender Godin told Sky Sport Italia: "When we're in a spot of bother, it's important to win any way we can. 

"The game started in a way we didn't expect. We won't look back with any regrets. Instead, we'll learn from it and engage in some healthy self-criticism. 

"We have the opportunity to stay second and we'll do everything to defend this position. Now, we must think about winning every game to also get closer to Juventus. 

"We'll go game by game and see where we are after that."

Godin has struggled as part of Conte's back three since arriving from LaLiga outfit Atletico Madrid on a free transfer at the start of the season. 

The Uruguayan's form has led to suggestions he may leave Inter at the end of the campaign. 

However, Godin said: "I feel good on a positive level. I felt good at Verona and I felt good tonight. I try to help the team whenever the coach asks me to. 

"I came here to help the team on and off the pitch. I've always brought a winning mentality wherever I've gone, the ability to work every day, with positivity. 

"I have a three-year contract: I want to stay here and do great things with Inter." 

Related items

  • Stadio Diego Armando Maradona – Napoli stadium officially renamed in tribute to club legend Stadio Diego Armando Maradona – Napoli stadium officially renamed in tribute to club legend

    Napoli's stadium has officially been renamed in honour of Diego Maradona, the Municipality of Naples announced on Friday. 

    The sporting world was shaken last week when Argentina great Maradona – widely considered to be one of football's greatest ever players – died at the age of 60 after suffering heart failure.

    A World Cup winner with Argentina, Maradona enjoyed stunning success in Naples, where he guided Napoli to unprecedented Serie A glory in 1986-87, and then again in 1989-90. The Partenopei are yet to add to their only two Scudetto honours.

    Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis said last week it would be "right" to rename Stadio San Paolo after the Argentinian and the Naples city council on Friday unanimously approved a resolution that will change its name to Stadio Diego Armando Maradona.

    The change still needs to be authorised by the Prefect of the Province of Naples, but that is expected to be a formality.

    "With a resolution approved today, the stadium was named after Diego Armando Maradona," the Municipality said in a statement.

    "Shortly before the executive committee meeting, the advisory commission for city toponymy had approved the proposal of the mayor, the councillor for toponymy Alessandra Clemente and the city council, naming the Stadio San Paolo after Diego Armando Maradona with the name Stadio Diego Armando Maradona."

    Maradona won 91 caps for Argentina between 1977 and 1994, scoring 34 goals at international level.

    He started his career with Argentinos Juniors, before joining Boca Juniors and going on to play for Barcelona, Sevilla and Newell's Old Boys, as well as Napoli, before returning to La Bombonera in 1995.

    Maradona also had stints in charge of Textil Mandiyu, Racing Club, Al-Wasl, Fujairah and Dorados de Sinaloa in Mexico before being appointed head coach by Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata last year.

    He remained Gimnasia coach until his death.

  • Koeman demands Barcelona hit winning streak as Cadiz eye another scalp Koeman demands Barcelona hit winning streak as Cadiz eye another scalp

    Ronald Koeman has told Barcelona they must win all their remaining six games in 2020 to stay in the LaLiga title hunt. 

    A rocky start to the campaign has followed the turbulent end to last season, which came to a head with the 8-2 thumping by Bayern Munich in the Champions League. 

    Tension was then created when Lionel Messi tried to push through a close-season exit, while the effect of the pandemic has also hit Barcelona hard, causing off-field strife, with the early departure of president Josep Maria Bartomeu bringing club elections forward to January. 

    A whole host of distractions appear to have taken a toll on Barcelona's first-team squad, with three defeats in their opening nine LaLiga games leaving coach Koeman with a tall order to reel in the early front-runners. 

    Real Sociedad, Atletico Madrid and Villarreal are the surprise top three, with Real Madrid fourth and Barcelona seventh heading into the weekend. 

    Koeman feels there is no room for error now, saying: "Atletico win their games, they concede few goals. The season is long, but we cannot lose more points and until the end of the year - we have to win all the games."

    On Saturday they tackle a Cadiz side who sit sixth, a point ahead of Barcelona albeit having played two more games. 

    Cadiz beat Real Madrid earlier this season, however, so Koeman is taking their threat seriously. 

    Koeman is trying to see a bright future for his team, and despite stressing the need to string together wins, he would not go further into what a defeat to Cadiz might mean. 

    "You have to answer when things happen, I prefer to think that you can win games and be positive," he said. 

    Cadiz have taken 13 of their 15 points this season away from home, and their last league win anywhere came in October. It suggests Barcelona may be facing last season's Segunda Division runners-up at a good time. 

    Cadiz have also not beaten Barcelona in LaLiga since May 1991, when Koeman lined up in a championship-winning Johan Cruyff team that suffered a 4-0 humiliation. 

    Barcelona have won all six of the league games between the sides since, but head into this weekend on a rough run away from Camp Nou. 

    Koeman's side have taken only one point from their last three LaLiga away games and are desperate to avoid a fourth such match without a victory. The club last endured such a dry run on the road when Frank Rijkaard's team went six without winning from March to May in 2008, with Pep Guardiola soon stepping in to shake up the side. 

    "Normally we will have a lot of ball against a defence like that of Cadiz," Koeman said. 

    "We will have to be patient. It seems to be more difficult for them to win at home, but they are achieving good results [overall this season], and it is a difficult ground where we must be focused to play at our level and score goals." 

    If Messi finds the net, it will be his first goal against Cadiz in LaLiga. Barcelona's record goalscorer has scored against 37 of the 40 sides he has faced in the competition, with Xerez, Real Murcia and Cadiz being the exceptions. 

    Messi has, admittedly, only played against Cadiz once previously.

  • Flick prepared to be patient as Sane settles in at Bayern Munich Flick prepared to be patient as Sane settles in at Bayern Munich

    Bayern Munich head coach Hansi Flick believes Leroy Sane needs more time to establish himself with the Bundesliga champions.

    Since joining Bayern from Manchester City for a reported €45million in July, Sane has scored three goals and provided three assists in seven Bundesliga games, three of which have been starts.

    He has also created four big chances, with only Thomas Muller (six) and Serge Gnabry (five) creating more for Bayern.

    His big chance conversion percentage is 50 per cent, while he has completed just 38.1 per cent of his attempted dribbles.

    The attacker missed almost the entire 2019-20 season with City after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament and suffered a knee injury against Hoffenheim at the end of September.

    Flick has largely been impressed with Sane's contribution but believes there is plenty more to come once he has settled at the club.

    "You have to consider the background," Flick told a media conference ahead of Bayern's top-of-the-table clash with RB Leipzig on Saturday.

    "He had a serious injury and was injured again in the Hoffenheim game. I know from my own experience that you need some time.

    "What I see in training is good. It's not that easy when you come to a new club; you have to integrate first. At the moment we can't train like we did in pre-season."

    Bayern are two points clear of Leipzig at the Bundesliga summit and will hope to improve on their recent record against Julian Nagelsmann's side when they visit the Allianz Arena on Saturday.

    Bayern won their first three meetings with Leipzig but have triumphed only once in their last five matches. Indeed, since 2017-18, only Hertha Berlin (four times in seven games) have picked up points in as many games against Bayern as Leipzig (four times in six games).

    Leipzig are also the only team to stop the Bavarian giants from scoring in their last 70 Bundesliga matches, holding them to 0-0 draws in May 2019 and February 2020.

    And Flick is in no doubt his side are in for a tough game against Nagelsmann's forward-thinking outfit.

    "Leipzig have developed tremendously," the Bayern boss said. "Even before I was at Hoffenheim, I knew that Julian was a top coach.

    "Leipzig plays forward very quickly and are very variable. The idea of their football appeals to me and I value Julian as a coach. That's why Leipzig are where they are."

    Alphonso Davies returned to full training this week after six weeks out with ankle ligament damage, while Joshua Kimmich stepped up his own personal fitness programme following surgery on a right lateral meniscus injury.

    Saturday's game will come too soon for them, but Flick holds out hope Davies could make an appearance in Wednesday's final Champions League Group A game against Lokomotiv Moscow.

    "Alphonso has trained, but is not yet ready for tomorrow," Flick said. "Maybe he will be back on Wednesday.

    "Otherwise, except for Coco Tolisso and Joshua Kimmich, everyone is on board. That is a good sign, especially in the current situation."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.