CAS to announce Man City decision on July 13

By Sports Desk July 10, 2020

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has confirmed it will announce a decision on Manchester City and their appeal against a Champions League ban on July 13.

The Switzerland-based body will confirm the verdict at 10:30 local time (08:30 GMT) on Monday, it said in a statement on Friday.

City's hearing at CAS began on June 8 and concluded two days later, with proceedings having been conducted by video call.

The Premier League club are seeking to overturn UEFA's decision to ban them from European competition for the next two seasons and fine them €30million (£27.2m) after finding them guilty of "serious breaches" of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

City have persistently denied wrongdoing in relation to the matter, which stemmed from a series of articles published by Der Spiegel in November 2018, drawing on information purportedly obtained by the whistleblower Football Leaks.

"The club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position," read a statement at the time from City, who UEFA said had "failed to cooperate" with the investigation.

Speaking on Friday, City manager Pep Guardiola said he had faith in the club's chances of success in their appeal.

"I'm so confident because I saw the arguments of the club that next season we will be there [in Champions League]," he said.

In an interview with HLN, star midfielder Kevin De Bruyne suggested he might be happy to stay at City in the event of a reduction to a one-year ban, although a two-year Champions League absence would force him to consider his options.

"I'm just waiting," he said. "The club told us they are going to appeal, and they are almost 100 per cent sure they are right. That's why I'm waiting to see what will happen. I trust my team.

"Once the decision is made, I will review everything. Two years would be long, but in the case of one year I might see."

Related items

  • Barcelona put €300m release clause on new signing Gustavo Maia Barcelona put €300m release clause on new signing Gustavo Maia

    Barcelona have completed the signing of Sao Paulo's Gustavo Maia and included a €300million release clause in the teenager's deal.

    The winger, who will join the club's B team, has signed a five-year deal after impressing in Brazil.

    Barca had already paid €1m to cement a purchase option on the 19-year-old and have parted with another €3.5m to secure his services.

    Maia, who was nearly sent on loan to Flamengo last year, became a father in December and overcame personal issues to force his way into the starting line-up at the Copinha, where he scored three goals in seven games.

  • Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing

    Inter have confirmed the signing of Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez on a permanent deal.

    Sanchez has put pen to paper on a three-year deal with the Serie A club following a successful season-long loan with Antonio Conte's side.

    The 31-year-old Chile international joined United from Premier League rivals Arsenal in 2018, but failed to show what he is capable of at Old Trafford.

    Sanchez is reported to have joined Inter on a free transfer after United ripped up his contract, which was said to earn him an astonishing £560,000-a-week.

    He scored four goals in 29 appearances for the Nerazzurri following his switch to San Siro last August.

    Sanchez found the back of the net only five times in 45 matches for the Red Devils after arriving at the club in January 2018 in a deal that saw Henrikh Mkhitaryan move to Arsenal.

    United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer revealed that Sanchez would be heading back to Inter following a 2-1 Europa League last-16 second leg victory over LASK on Wednesday.

    "I can confirm that he's agreed and we've agreed. Alexis enjoyed his time there," he said. 

    "They've liked him, so of course that's a good move for him. Wish him all the best. He's a top player that we want to see play his best football.

    "For whatever reason, we didn't see the best of Alexis, but he's a top professional and we just wish him all the best."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing BREAKING NEWS: Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing

    Inter have confirmed the signing of Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez on a permanent deal.

    Sanchez has put pen to paper on a three-year deal with the Serie A club following a successful season-long loan with Antonio Conte's side.

    The 31-year-old Chile international joined United from Premier League rivals Arsenal in 2018, but failed to show what he is capable of at Old Trafford.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.