EPL

Mourinho is 'absolutely' still world class and will bring success to Spurs, says Arteta

By Sports Desk July 10, 2020

Mikel Arteta says there is no doubt Jose Mourinho remains a world-class head coach and expects him to bring success to Tottenham.

The Arsenal boss will face Mourinho for the first time on Sunday when the Gunners head to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for the north London derby.

The reverse fixture, a 2-2 draw on September 1, saw Unai Emery's Arsenal fight back from 2-0 down to snatch a point against Mauricio Pochettino's Spurs.

Both clubs find themselves in a battle to secure European football for next season. Arsenal are eighth in the Premier League table, a point above Spurs and two adrift of the top six.

Spurs have only won two of their five matches since the league season resumed last month, but Arteta insists Mourinho is still "absolutely" a top coach and the right man to lead his side forward.

"He has a very clear way of playing, of how he manages games," Arteta said on Friday. "Clean sheets are a big thing that he wants to do but his teams, don't forget, always score a lot of goals.

"His teams have been really successful and they have been able to win titles because of that as well. In a long period, they have a lot of injuries. He hasn't had the chance to be consistent with his team. That's a big disadvantage that they have.

"I know that he has done it. I know people who have worked with him - he always finds a way to be successful. I'm sure he will do it again.

"They've had some ups and downs but overall you can clearly see what he wants to bring to the club. He manages the energy, momentum and establishes a really strong culture at every football club.

"As well he makes sure that he wins. He has won at every single club he has been. The situation, the timing when he arrived is different than starting a new project right from the summer.

"I'm sure he'll be successful; he's always been. He always finds the right way to do it. It will take him time but I'm sure he will do it."

Arteta is relishing the prospect of a first derby in charge of Arsenal, having savoured being involved in the fixture as a player.

"It's such a special occasion," he said. "Rivalry in football when you take it in a positive way brings energy, passion and a city together. It's such a beautiful thing. We are privileged to have big teams in the city.

"It's a shame we don't have the fans with us to enjoy it."

Related items

  • Areola returns to PSG from Madrid amid Premier League rumours Areola returns to PSG from Madrid amid Premier League rumours

    Alphonse Areola has returned to Paris Saint-Germain from Real Madrid amid reports he is set for a Premier League move.

    The goalkeeper joined Los Blancos on a season-long loan last September to provide cover for number one Thibaut Courtois, with Keylor Navas having moved in the opposite direction in a permanent deal.

    Areola made just nine appearances for LaLiga's champions, though, and the Frenchman has been tipped to move on again with game time unlikely at PSG.

    "Real Madrid confirmed they have brought Alphonse Areola's loan spell to an end," a team statement read.

    "The club would like to thank Areola for his dedication, professionalism and exemplary conduct this season and wishes him the best of luck in this new chapter.

    "Real Madrid also thanks PSG for the chance to have had Alphonse Areola as part of our squad."

    Reports in the English media said 27-year-old Areola has bought a house in London ahead of a potential move to the Premier League.

    Chelsea have been credited with an interest as the Blues appear keen to find a buyer for Kepa Arrizabalaga.

    Arsenal were also touted as a potential destination to provide extra cover after Emiliano Martinez deputised when Bernd Leno sustained a knee injury in June, although the Argentinian's brilliant performances mean such a scenario may be unlikely.

  • Melbourne City 2-2 Adelaide United: Noone red card sparks comeback Melbourne City 2-2 Adelaide United: Noone red card sparks comeback

    Melbourne City had Craig Noone sent off as they surrendered a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 with Adelaide United in the A-League.

    The former Cardiff City and Bolton Wanderers winger received a straight red card after wiping out Adelaide defender Michael Jakobsen near the touchline with a rash sliding challenge.

    That 67th-minute incident proved to be a turning point, with Adelaide soon pulling one goal back before Ben Halloran snatched a stoppage-time equaliser.

    Adrian Luna had nudged Melbourne in front after 34 minutes, nodding in a cross from Noone, and Jamie Maclaren headed in a second six minutes later.

    Kristian Opseth cut the deficit with a 78th-minute penalty after Pacifique Niyongabire was chopped down by Luna when entering the right side of the penalty area.

    Halloran then struck in the first added minute, firing low and powerfully beyond Tom Glover after cutting in from the left, to deny second-placed Melbourne the victory.

  • Celtic blast Bolingoli's 'stupidity' after quarantine breach Celtic blast Bolingoli's 'stupidity' after quarantine breach

    Celtic have blasted Boli Bolingoli's "stupidity" and apologised to the SPFL for his "irresponsible action" after the player breached quarantine restrictions. 

    Bolingoli travelled to Spain without the club's knowledge and did not follow quarantine rules when returning from the country. 

    He then featured in Celtic's 1-1 draw against Kilmarnock on Sunday, with his indiscretion coming after two Aberdeen players had tested positive for coronavirus. 

    Eight Aberdeen players issued an apology having broken guidelines by visiting a bar in the aftermath of their opening-weekend defeat to Rangers. 

    The Scottish government threatened to pause the Scottish Premiership season and Celtic did not hold back in their condemnation of Bolingoli, who the club said has tested negative for COVID-19. 

    "Celtic Football Club unreservedly condemns and apologises for the behaviour of the player Boli Bolingoli in travelling to Spain without informing the club and in failing to observe quarantine restrictions," a statement from the club read. 

    "It is difficult to imagine a more irresponsible action in current circumstances and we find it beyond explanation. The club will take immediate action through our own disciplinary procedures. 

    "Celtic are in touch with every SPFL club, and with all relevant authorities, to apologise for the fact that one of our employees has created so much additional difficulty through his actions. 

    "All of our playing and backroom staff have been tested twice for COVID-19 since this incident and all, including the player in question, have tested negative. While this comes as a relief to all concerned, it in no way diminishes the seriousness or stupidity of the player's actions. 

    "Since the COVID -19 crisis began, we have had a safe and healthy squad of players, recording not one positive test. As a club, we have worked tirelessly to ensure a sustained, safe environment for all.    

    "We have led the way in working with the football authorities and Scottish Government to establish the most rigorous, effective protocols and working practices, which ultimately led to the resumption of football. We could have done no more in this area. 

    "It is a matter of the deepest regret to us that the behaviour of one individual has jeopardised that reputation and reflected discredit on football more generally." 

    Bolingoli apologised for his error, saying: "I have made a huge mistake. I want to apologise to my manager, my team-mates, the supporters, everyone at Celtic and so many others for letting them down so badly. 

    "I am guilty of a major error of judgement. I know what I did was wrong and I know that I must now deal with the consequences." 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.