Man City, Barcelona and Juventus can host Champions League last-16 ties

By Sports Desk July 09, 2020

Manchester City, Juventus and Barcelona will have home advantage for the crucial second legs of their Champions League last-16 ties after a UEFA ruling on Thursday.

Their respective clashes against Real Madrid, Lyon and Napoli are all on a knife edge after tight first games.

There had been talk of the return games possibly being played on neutral territory, as European football's governing body deals with how to finish its 2019-20 competitions amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Champions League will be played to a conclusion in Portugal from the quarter-final stage onwards, and the Europa League will conclude similarly with its final rounds being played in Germany, with each competition aiming to complete by the end of August.

UEFA said it considered the "principle of sporting fairness" in reaching its decision regarding the last-16 ties that had started but were unresolved in each competition.

That means Manchester City will defend their 2-1 lead over Real Madrid at the Etihad Stadium, Juventus will welcome Lyon to Turin, chasing a deficit after losing 1-0 to the French side in the first game, and Barcelona and Napoli will play again at Camp Nou after a 1-1 draw in Italy.

Bayern Munich, who lead Chelsea 3-0 after a successful trip to London, will take on Frank Lampard's side at the Allianz Arena.

The same rule will apply in the Europa League, although two last-16 ties in that competition have yet to begin and have been moved to Germany, where they will be played as single-leg fixtures, with Inter facing Getafe and Sevilla playing Roma.

UEFA said in a statement: "Consistent with the principle of sporting fairness and considering that current conditions - all clubs due to play at home the return leg of the round of 16 are currently playing the remaining matches of their domestic leagues in their own stadiums and that travelling is possible without restrictions for the visiting clubs – the UEFA executive committee decided that the remaining UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League round of 16 second-leg matches will be played at the home teams' stadiums.

"UEFA will continue to monitor the situation and reserves the right to reassign any such matches to the venues of the final tournament of the relevant competition should new events occur that would make it impossible to play one or more matches at the original venues."

UEFA said it would announce fixture details after Friday's quarter-final draws at its Swiss headquarters.

The governing body also said all its matches would be played behind closed doors until further notice.

"UEFA will monitor the evolution of the situation and advise on any full or partial lifting of restrictions at the appropriate time," its statement added.

Related items

  • Ndombele refusing to give up on Euro 2020 dream with France Ndombele refusing to give up on Euro 2020 dream with France

    Tanguy Ndombele is refusing to give up on his chances of representing France at the rescheduled Euro 2020 after starting the season in rejuvenated form for Tottenham.

    Spurs splashed out a club-record fee, reported to be £64million, to sign the midfielder from Lyon ahead of last season but injuries and poor form contributed to an underwhelming debut Premier League campaign.

    Indeed, a lack of game time under Jose Mourinho led to suggestions Spurs may decide to move Ndombele on and Juventus were linked with an interest earlier this year.

    But Ndombele has begun the season in impressive fashion for table-topping Spurs, appearing in each of their nine top-flight games and starting seven of those.

    He already has a goal and an assist, managing two in each category over the entirety of last season, while he has created seven chances for team-mates (he had only 12 in 2019-20), won 29 duels and completed 23 recoveries.

    Having seemingly earned the trust of the notoriously tough-to-please Mourinho, Ndombele is now focused on regaining a spot in France's squad having last earned a call up for Les Bleus a year ago.

    "I'm trying to do the best possible. I am still learning. We all want to go to the Euros. We will give ourselves the means to go there," he told beIN SPORTS.  

    "I agree with the fact of gaining in [consistency]. There are some very good players in my position. 

    "But I do not admit defeat and we will see at the end."

    Spurs are on an eight-match unbeaten run in the top flight since losing their opening game to Everton and sit top of the pile on goal difference ahead of Liverpool.

  • Dortmund sensation Moukoko chasing his dreams 'like a lion' Dortmund sensation Moukoko chasing his dreams 'like a lion'

    Youssoufa Moukoko has been tipped for superstardom and the prodigious Borussia Dortmund talent has vowed to chase his dreams "like a lion".

    On Saturday, Moukoko made history when at the age of 16 years and a day he came off the bench in Dortmund's 5-2 win over Hertha Berlin to become the youngest player in Bundesliga history.

    Following that game, team-mate Erling Haaland hailed Moukoko as "the biggest talent in the world" – high praise indeed from a player who had just scored four goals to continue his own rapid rise.

    The reasons for optimism are plentiful. Moukoko made history in October 2019 when, still just 14, he became the youngest ever goalscorer in the UEFA Youth League.

    In the previous season, Moukoko earned promotion to Dortmund's under-19 team having scored 50 goals. He took to the new level with similar ease, netting 34 goals from just 20 games in the Bundesliga's youth division.

    A haul of 10 goals from three matches in 2020-21 preceded Moukoko's competitive first-team bow, which he was only eligible to make after turning 16.

    Many before have been touted for big things and fallen by the wayside but Moukoko is determined not to fall into that category.

    "I can't do anything about being good at football," he said in an interview with DAZN.

    "The one who works harder gets rewarded in the end.

    "It was always my dream to become a professional football player. And if you have that dream you have to chase it like a lion."

    Moukoko will be trying to emulate the achievements of 18-year-old Giovanni Reyna, who earned himself a new long-term deal at Dortmund last week after making a seamless transition into first-team football.

    The promising striker spoke about his relationship with the newly minted United States international.

    "We never talked because he did not speak German and I had my difficulties with English," Moukoko added.

    "But on the pitch, we understood each other. It was unbelievable."

  • Former Barcelona and Milan midfielder Halilovic joins Championship side Birmingham City Former Barcelona and Milan midfielder Halilovic joins Championship side Birmingham City

    Alen Halilovic is itching to get started at Birmingham City after the former Barcelona and Milan attacking midfielder penned a short-term deal with the Blues.

    The now 24-year-old was once regarded as one of European football's brightest prospects and LaLiga giants Barca snapped him up from Dinamo Zagreb in 2014.

    However, he spent most of his time with Barca's B side and was shipped on loan to Sporting Gijon before joining Hamburg two years after his arrival at Camp Nou.

    The move to Germany did not work out particularly well for Halilovic but, after spending a season with Las Palmas on loan, he was signed by Serie A side Milan a couple of years ago.

    Loan spells at Standard Liege and Heerenveen did little to convince the Rossoneri, though, and he was released in October.

    Halilovic is now set to embark on a new venture with Championship side Birmingham in English football's second tier.

    "Honoured and extremely happy to be here! Looking forward to getting started! Keep Right On!" Halilovic posted on Twitter.

    Announcing the signing on their official website, Birmingham said: "[The] Blues have completed the signing of highly rated Croatian international, Alen Halilovic, on a short-term contract.

    "The attacking midfielder joins until June 2021 having left Italian giants, AC Milan, when his contract expired last month.

    "Halilovic will link up with fellow countryman Ivan Sunjic, having been touted as one of Croatia's most promising stars.

    "At just 24 years old, the talented technician has already been snapped up by the likes of Barcelona and AC Milan, and will join Blues aiming to fulfil his undoubted potential."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.