Eric Dier hit with four-match ban after fan altercation

By Sports Desk July 08, 2020

Eric Dier has been hit with a four-game ban and a £40,000 fine after his altercation with a fan following Tottenham's FA Cup loss to Norwich City in March.

The England midfielder climbed into the stands after Spurs' penalty shoot-out loss having been angered by the actions of a supporter at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Stewards intervened to separate Dier from the individual, with manager Jose Mourinho saying afterwards that his player had reacted to insults towards his younger brother.

Dier was charged with misconduct by the Football Association (FA) in April.

He denied his actions had been threatening, but an independent regulatory commission found otherwise, with the FA confirming his sanction on Wednesday.

"Eric Dier has been suspended for four matches with immediate effect, fined £40,000 and warned as to his future conduct following a breach of FA Rule E3," read an FA statement.

"The Tottenham Hotspur FC player admitted that his actions at the conclusion of a fixture against Norwich City FC in the FA Cup on March 4, 2020 were improper but denied that they were also threatening.

"An independent regulatory commission subsequently found Eric Dier's actions to be threatening."

The suspension comes into immediate effect, meaning Dier will miss all but one of Spurs' remaining five Premier League games, which includes the derby against Arsenal on Sunday.

 

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Coutinho close to Arsenal move, Barcelona reach agreement with Ter Stegen Rumour Has It: Coutinho close to Arsenal move, Barcelona reach agreement with Ter Stegen

    Philippe Coutinho's move to Arsenal is seemingly getting close.

    The Brazil international has been on loan at Bayern Munich from Barcelona in 2019-20, but is expected to leave Camp Nou permanently.

    A return to the Premier League has been mooted.

     

    TOP STORY – ARSENAL DEAL FOR COUTINHO IS 'ADVANCED'

    A deal sending Coutinho to Arsenal from Barcelona is "more advanced", according to Sport.

    The former Liverpool star would head back to England less than three years after leaving Anfield.

    Coutinho has scored nine goals in 34 games for Bayern in 2019-20.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - There could be good news coming for Barcelona. Mundo Deportivo reports Marc-Andre ter Stegen has agreed to extend his deal at the club for five years, but there is still no financial agreement between the parties.

    - Jerome Boateng's Bayern Munich future seems uncertain. Sport Bild reports the Bundesliga champions want to sell the defender, who would like to extend his contract beyond 2021.

    - Takefusa Kubo looks set for another loan spell away from Real Madrid. AS reports Kubo will join Villarreal on loan for 2020-21, having spent this season at Mallorca.

    - Are Liverpool looking for a back-up for Andy Robertson? The Athletic reports the Premier League champions value left-back Jamal Lewis at £10million, but Norwich City will not even enter talks for less than £20m.

    - Contracted at Manchester United until 2022, Tahith Chong could be heading elsewhere to gain experience. Sport Bild says Werder Bremen are in talks with United over a loan deal for the attacker.

    - After losing the Championship play-off final, Brentford may also see a star depart. The Guardian reports Crystal Palace are battling with Aston Villa to sign Ollie Watkins, who scored 26 goals in 49 Championship games in 2019-20.

  • Dortmund have had 'no contact' with Man Utd over Sancho, says Watzke Dortmund have had 'no contact' with Man Utd over Sancho, says Watzke

    Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke insisted there had been "no contact" with Manchester United about Jadon Sancho.

    Sancho, 20, has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League giants, with recent reports suggesting a £108.5million (€120m) deal was close.

    However, Watzke dismissed those reports, saying there had been no contact between the clubs regarding the England international.

    "So far, there has been no contact between Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United in terms of Sancho," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung on Wednesday.

    "Also not directly or through alleged intermediaries."

    United are reportedly prepared to walk away from the Sancho deal amid an unwillingness to meet Dortmund's asking price.

    Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said he expected Sancho to be at the club in 2020-21.

    "I assume that Jadon will go to the training camp on Monday and play with us for the coming season," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung.

  • Inter rewarded for getting Sanchez back on track - Conte Inter rewarded for getting Sanchez back on track - Conte

    Antonio Conte was delighted to welcome the imminent news of Alexis Sanchez's permanent transfer to Inter after helping the forward recover from "the worst moment of his career". 

    Inter are set to announce the deal for Sanchez from Manchester United on a three-year deal on Thursday, though the move was revealed prior to their Europa League clash with beat Getafe. 

    The Chile international endured a dismal 18-month spell at Old Trafford before leaving United on loan at the start of this season, recovering both form and fitness at San Siro. 

    Nerazzurri CEO Giuseppe Marotta confirmed the situation regarding Sanchez's future in a media interview prior to the Getafe match on Wednesday. 

    And speaking after a 2-0 win that sent Inter through to the last eight, the transfer had raised head coach Conte's spirits. 

    "I think the Sanchez transfer is a very good move by the club," Conte told Sky Italia. "Considering the conditions in which we managed to get Alexis, it was a really good transfer. 

    "The club deserve credit because he came at the worst moment of his career. He arrived after two difficult years when he was really struggling at United and then got injured with us. 

    "We took the time to get him back on track, so it is only right for Inter to enjoy it and reap the rewards of that effort." 

    Sanchez was a second-half substitute against Getafe in what had been set to be the final match of his loan stint. 

    Former United striker Romelu Lukaku opened the scoring before half-time, with Christian Eriksen clinching progress to the quarter-finals with a late second goal.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.