EPL

Lallana is a Liverpool legend – Klopp

By Sports Desk July 07, 2020

Jurgen Klopp lauded Adam Lallana as a Liverpool "legend" after conceding the midfielder has probably played his last game for the Premier League champions.

Lallana penned an extended contract at Anfield to cover the conclusion of the prolonged 2019-20 season but will depart when the campaign concludes.

The 32-year-old has not been in any of Klopp's four matchday squads since the restart and the Reds boss explained he is looking at the bigger picture of the player's prospective next move. He does not want to risk a recurrence of the injury problems that have dogged the England international's time on Merseyside.

Speaking ahead of Wednesday's Premier League trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, Klopp praised Lallana's service throughout his time at the club – the ex-Southampton playmaker's familiarity with Mauricio Pochettino's high-pressing style making him a valuable presence during those transitional early months.

More recently, Lallana's diligence on the training ground was citied as an important factor in Liverpool's march to European, world and, finally, Premier League glory.

"Adam is, oh my God… it's clear that Adam will leave the club," Klopp said. "If you know ask me now, I miss already everything about him and he's still here.

"He is an outstanding player, one of the most influential players in training quality I've had in my life. He's an incredible professional.

"Now we have a difficult situation, I respect that a lot. Everything with Adam is sorted – he's top fit, he's training, everything is fine.

"But the future is his future. If we need his help on the pitch, we can get it. He's there and trains 100 per cent.

"As long as we don't need it, he will just train. That's the normal thing. There were a lot of discussions with players about ending contracts. Here it was not even a discussion. It was clear for Adam, we extend his contract. He wanted to do that as well.

"But we will not put any risk on his future. That is absolutely clear. He is one of the most important players of the time since I'm here.

"I wish him only the best for the future and, from my point of view, he is already a legend here.

"He can now start being a legend somewhere else from next season on."

Liverpool's five remaining Premier League matches could prove more significant for those others who serve as back-up to a dominant first XI.

The likes of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Divock Origi could enjoy increased game time but, much like Lallana, Klopp is keen not to have such players overlooked when it comes to considering their role in a glorious period.

"We played against Barcelona, for example, made a lot of changes in this game, played an outstanding game – one of the best games this team ever played," he said of last season's logic-defying 4-0 win over the Catalan giants the Champions League semi-finals, with Origi's brace sealing a 4-3 aggregate triumph.

"Whatever your first XI is – I don't know exactly, but I think I have an idea – these boys all did the job.

"Oxlade-Chamberlain, if he's not in your first XI, has played incredible games for this club. He won pretty much alone against City a year or so ago. He's not a worse footballer since then."

A satisfaction with his back-up option does not mean Klopp will not look to bolster his title-winning pack, even if he acknowledges the uncertainty of the wider global climate might have an influence.

"Are there players out there on the market who can help us? Probably, yes," he added. "This is the challenge for us, to improve a really good football team. But these times are a challenge as well.

"It goes back to how nobody knows what the future will hold for all of us. So how can we make really expensive decisions for how we will deal with it?

"This team is really good. That doesn't mean we don't want to strengthen. If we have the opportunity and have the financial resources then it will always happen and we will always try."

Related items

  • Lewandowski not interested in Ronaldo record as he eyes 'dangerous' Barcelona Lewandowski not interested in Ronaldo record as he eyes 'dangerous' Barcelona

    Robert Lewandowski shut out thoughts surrounding individual records and fixed his focus on firing Bayern Munich past Barcelona in the Champions League quarter-finals after notching another brace in Saturday's triumph over Chelsea.

    The Poland international improved his season goal tally to 53 in all competitions as he scored twice and assisted another two in a 4-1 victory at the Allianz Arena that saw Bayern advance from the last 16 as 7-1 aggregate winners.

    Lewandowski now has 13 goals in seven Champions League appearances this term, four behind the record Cristiano Ronaldo set for a single season in 2013-14.

    But the prolific 31-year-old striker insisted he is more interested in helping his side progress from next Friday's single-leg quarter-final in Lisbon, where Barca await following their 4-2 aggregate win over Napoli.

    "It's not a target for me," Lewandowski told Sky Germany when asked about Ronaldo's record. "We have another knockout game to come and have to play really well as a team.

    "The most important thing is to play well and reach the next round. We have to show as a team we are better [than Barcelona] in order to reach the semi-finals.

    "Barcelona are always dangerous and play great football. We have to be at it from the first minute and show our quality. The better team will play in the next round."

    Lewandowski played a direct part in every goal for Bayern in their 7-1 aggregate victory over Chelsea, having also scored one and set up a couple for Serge Gnabry in February's first leg at Stamford Bridge.

    Head coach Hansi Flick was keen to praise his whole side and not just in-form Lewandowski, who has netted more times in 2019-20 than any other player in Europe's top five leagues.

    "He scored twice, so it goes without saying what he can do," the Bayern boss said. "This is what makes us stand out as a team.

    "I was very satisfied with the 90 minutes from everyone. We wanted to win the game and pick up from where we left off. 

    "Chelsea have an exciting team and an incredible amount of speed. It would have been our fault if we let them into the game, but the first 30 minutes from us were great."

    The only sour note for Bayern was the sight of Jerome Boateng hobbling off with an apparent knee injury in the second half, but Flick was hopeful the centre-back would be fit for next week's huge showdown with Barca.

    "I don't think it is so bad for Jerome," he said. "That's the information I got from the medical staff. [Benjamin] Pavard is also trying everything to be ready.

    "We will prepare for that game like any other. We want to show our strengths again and must be 100 per cent focused, not just on Lionel Messi but every player."

  • Gattuso on new Juve head coach Pirlo: A great playing career isn't enough Gattuso on new Juve head coach Pirlo: A great playing career isn't enough

    Gennaro Gattuso warned Juventus head coach Andrea Pirlo that his illustrious playing career will count for little in his new job.

    Pirlo, who has not had a coaching job and only took over as Juve's Under-23s boss last week, was handed the reins in Turin on Saturday in the wake of Maurizio Sarri's dismissal.

    The former midfielder – who won four Serie A titles, one Coppa Italia and two Supercoppa Italiana during a four-year spell with Juve – has signed a two-year deal.

    However, Gattuso, who played alongside Pirlo at Milan and for Italy, provided an honest assessment of the job's difficulties for his former team-mate.

    "Well he's screwed now… That's the job," Gattuso told Sky Italia following Napoli's defeat to Barcelona in the Champions League.

    "He's lucky to be starting at Juventus, but this profession is one where a great playing career is not enough.

    "You have to study, to work hard, and you don't get much sleep."

    Gattuso's first job in coaching came at FC Sion, with the 42-year-old then having spells at Palermo, OFI Crete and Pisa before he took charge of Milan's youth team in 2017.

    He was promoted to first-team head coach following Vincenzo Montella's sacking later that year, though he was dismissed at the end of the 2018-19 campaign after a fifth-placed finish, going on to replace Carlo Ancelotti at Napoli, who he guided to the Coppa Italia title this term.

    "Being a player and being a coach is really not the same thing at all," Gattuso added.

    "It's a totally different profession and we can't learn it just from books, we need to get in there and work hard. It's a different world."

  • Setien was 'a little bit nervous' but insists Barcelona controlled Napoli 'perfectly' Setien was 'a little bit nervous' but insists Barcelona controlled Napoli 'perfectly'

    Barcelona head coach Quique Setien thinks they had their Champions League last-16 second leg against Napoli under perfect control - even though he was feeling nervous on the touchline.

    Goals from Clement Lenglet, Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez secured a 3-1 win for Barca at Camp Nou on Saturday and a 4-2 aggregate victory.

    Barca were 3-0 up and had another goal through Messi disallowed for handball in the first half, and although Lorenzo Insigne's penalty shortly before the interval gave Napoli some hope, they could not find a way back into the contest against a resilient Blaugrana.

    Barca have endured nightmarish second-leg losses to Liverpool and Roma in the past two seasons, so Setien was particularly pleased with the manner of their performance when under pressure from Napoli, even if he could not always keep his anxiety in check.

    "It was what we were looking for, to take the first step and to wait for the rest of the games with the same excitement with which we faced this one," he told Movistar.

    "We were very good and we deserved the victory.

    "It's true they had us compromised in the opening minutes. Napoli are a really good team - it's not easy to do what we've done. They're one of the best teams in Italy.

    "We controlled it perfectly, we had a really good first half and in the second they were more in charge but they still didn't put us in much danger.

    "A second goal would have given them a boost that could have threatened us. It's normal to be a little bit nervous, of course."

    Messi took a heavy kick to his calf in winning a penalty against Kalidou Koulibaly, but Setien is confident he will be fit to face Bayern Munich, who destroyed Chelsea 7-1 on aggregate, in next week's quarter-final.

    "He took a strong hit, but he looks okay. It'll need treatment but I don't think it'll be a problem," he said of Messi.

    "It'll be a really tough game. They have gone through a tie with a six-goal margin. They are an amazing team and it'll be a great game."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.