Mourinho willing to break the rules for his love of Ancelotti

By Sports Desk July 05, 2020

Tottenham head coach Jose Mourinho said he is prepared to break social-distancing rules just so he can hug Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti.

Mourinho's struggling Tottenham will welcome Ancelotti and Everton to London for Monday's Premier League clash.

Spurs boss Mourinho heaped praise on counterpart Ancelotti ahead of the showdown – pitting ninth against 11th in the table – with the Portuguese willing to break coronavirus protocol for his love of the Everton coach.

"I think everyone in football admires Carlo [Ancelotti] as a coach and as a person," Mourinho told reporters.

"If you don't know him as a person at least you know him as a coach. I like him so much as a person that I'm going to say the obvious, which is that he is one of the top managers in the world in the last two decades and of course now.

"I think it's a privilege for the Premier League to have Carlo back. It's a privilege for Everton to have him as their manager or head coach, whatever you want to call him.

"As a person, I've had the privilege of knowing him for a few years, to stay and be with him a few times, at UEFA meetings or other different occasions and I just love Carlo.

"I think he is a fantastic guy so I think I am going to break the rule of one-metre distancing and I'm going to hug him because I like Carlo very much."

Tottenham have only won one of their past nine games across all competitions following Thursday's 3-1 defeat to Sheffield United.

Spurs – Champions League runners-up under former manager Mauricio Pochettino last season – are 12 points adrift of the top four with six matches remaining.

"I believe, but it is also possible that does not happen. And if that does not happen it is not the end of the world. If that does not happen, it is probably the beginning of a new world because things change," Mourinho added.

"Change for you, change for other clubs. The squads they change. The motivations they change, the group dynamic changes. The group that possibly was strong 10 years is ago is not strong anymore. A player that was in the maximum of his motivation is not anymore and vice-versa.

"It is also possible that we don't get into a top-six position. And if that happens of course we have to look at it not smiling, but we have to look at it with optimism and look at it with a professional profile of next season has to be different.

"Because if you analyse Tottenham for example last year, how many matches did Tottenham win away from home? When I arrived I think it was almost a year without an away victory. If it happens [finishing outside of the top six], it happens but we don't want it to happen and we are going to fight for it not to happen."

Related items

  • Melbourne Victory 2-3 Central Coast Mariners: Late Ruiz-Diaz brace inflicts club-record loss Melbourne Victory 2-3 Central Coast Mariners: Late Ruiz-Diaz brace inflicts club-record loss

    Dylan Ruiz-Diaz's first A-League goals condemned Melbourne Victory to a club-record fifth successive loss as Central Coast Mariners claimed a late 3-2 triumph, ending a lengthy winless run of their own.

    Rock-bottom Mariners looked set to conclude their A-League season with a sequence of 13 matches without a victory, but 19-year-old substitute Ruiz-Diaz turned things around in the final five minutes to earn them a first win since January 12, when they also beat Monday's opponents 3-2.

    Marco Rojas' brace either side of Dylan Fox's effort early in the second half had Victory in charge, but Ruiz-Diaz – brought on just before the hour-mark – levelled in the 85th minute with an emphatic finish.

    He then clinched the three points four minutes later, slotting in after latching onto Milan Djuric's throughball to end the Mariners' winless streak and inflict an unwanted club record on second-bottom Victory.

  • Ginter 'definitely staying at Gladbach' despite Chelsea, Inter & Atletico interest Ginter 'definitely staying at Gladbach' despite Chelsea, Inter & Atletico interest

    Matthias Ginter is to remain at Borussia Monchengladbach despite reported interest from a host of European clubs.

    The Germany centre-back has been linked with the likes of Chelsea, Inter and Atletico Madrid.

    However, after a 2019-20 season that saw Gladbach finish fourth in the Bundesliga and qualify for the Champions League, Ginter wants to help the Foals take the next step.

    "I'm definitely staying in Gladbach," Ginter told Kicker magazine.

    "Of course I heard of the enquiries and was flattered by this attention, but I've said often enough how good things are for me in Gladbach.

    "This team has huge potential. And the coach [Marco Rose] gives us a great deal of added value.

    "With the amazing fans and surroundings here, this club is currently in the process of building something. I share these big ambitions and I also have a contract here."

  • Cagliari hire Di Francesco to replace Zenga Cagliari hire Di Francesco to replace Zenga

    Cagliari have hired Eusebio Di Francesco as their new coach after opting to cut short the stay of Walter Zenga.

    Former Italy goalkeeper Zenga had been appointed during the coronavirus-enforced suspension, replacing Rolando Maran on a deal until June 30, 2021.

    Speaking ahead of Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Milan in the club's final match of the season, Zenga seemed optimistic about his chances of continuing at the helm next term.

    But club president Tommaso Giulini was clearly of a differing opinion, with Cagliari confirming on Sunday that Zenga's stay had been terminated despite guiding them to safety.

    Di Francesco arrives in his place, signing a two-year deal as he returns to work following an ill-fated spell at Sampdoria last year.

    He presided over Sampdoria's first seven Serie A matches of the 2019-20 season, but was dismissed in October having lost six of those games.

    The former Roma boss will be hoping to rebuild his reputation with the Sardinian club, but will surely be aware he may have to hit the ground running if he is to do so, as he will be Cagliari's 19th coach since the start of 2010.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.