EPL

Kovacic could miss Chelsea's next two games with Achilles injury

By Sports Desk July 03, 2020

Mateo Kovacic could miss Chelsea's next two games with an Achilles injury sustained against West Ham, Frank Lampard has revealed. 

Croatia international Kovacic went off in the 53rd minute of Chelsea's 3-2 loss to struggling West Ham at London Stadium on Wednesday. 

The defeat was a blow to Chelsea's hopes of securing Champions League qualification and Lampard confirmed they will be without Kovacic when they attempt to get back on track against Watford at Stamford Bridge on Saturday. 

Fikayo Tomori will also be absent as he continues to recover from a muscle injury. 

"Fikayo is still not fit. He's hopefully going be training with us somewhere through next week," said Lampard. 

"He's doing a lot of work, it's just the last bit to get him on the training pitch that's been a bit tough. 

"Kovacic is going to be out, he hurt his Achilles during the West Ham game and will miss this one and possibly the one after that. Hopefully it won't be too long after that." 

Marcos Alonso was heavily criticised by Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville during the coverage of the game for failing to track back for Andriy Yarmolenko's 89th-minute winner. 

While Lampard accepted the left-back could have done more, he has not spoken to Alonso about the incident. 

"It's not important with isolated 'slatings' – it's much easier to comment from afar," said Lampard. 

"We do try to play football, we're trying to be progressive but we don't want to concede. Recovery runs are a huge part of football and the players must do them whether it's the first or 90th minute. 

"I don't think it's quite fair to just look at Marcos. In that isolated incident yes, he can recover better and we can recover better as a team. 

"But that has to be fundamental to the team. You have to run backwards as much as you run fast forwards and you have to have that desire to make difficult runs to help the team. I can't complain about the team about that this year. 

"When you isolate one goal that's so crucial because it wins the points, fair enough. But I know with my players that generally we have a desire to press very well off the ball and when it goes beyond us to recover and get there. 

"It was a game where we slipped up, and it's not just that mistake, there were other mistakes, and we lost the game for it." 

He added: "I haven't spoken to him about it. I think it's a dangerous game to comment on every pundit, because you'd probably have to talk to all your players every week and that's the nature of the beast. 

"If I felt a player needed help or support in those situations I would do. We as players and myself in my job are probably the biggest self-critics, we analyse games, we go over them and talk to the players individual and collectively, and that's my main focus, not so much what comes from outside." 

Related items

  • Coquelin completes Villarreal switch Coquelin completes Villarreal switch

    Villarreal have completed the signing of Francis Coquelin from rivals Valencia, with Dani Parejo seemingly set to follow.

    Former Arsenal midfielder Coquelin has signed a four-year deal with Villarreal, having spent two and a half seasons with Valencia, winning the 2018-19 Copa del Rey.

    It is anticipated Parejo, the Valencia skipper, will join his team-mate in making the short trip to El Madrigal.

    Parejo had previously spoken of retiring at Valencia but was subsequently criticised by new Manchester City signing Ferran Torres.

  • Joao Felix wants to grow like Griezmann under Simeone at Atletico Joao Felix wants to grow like Griezmann under Simeone at Atletico

    Joao Felix hopes to emulate Antoine Griezmann's rise under the stewardship of Diego Simeone, whose style of football the Portugal star insists he has no problem with at Atletico Madrid.

    Atleti stumped up €126million to sign the prodigious forward from Benfica after Griezmann departed for Barcelona, beating several suitors across European football to his signature.

    It has been a hit-and-miss debut campaign for Joao Felix, who has so far scored eight goals and provided three assists in 35 appearances across all competitions.

    Inconsistent form and injuries mixed with flashes of brilliance have been the story of his season, but the 20-year-old still harbours ambitions of becoming a star at Atleti like Griezmann before him.

    "If I can do what Griezmann has done or improve it, it will be fine because he has made history in this club," Joao Felix told Marca. 

    "He has done it very well, he has grown a lot with El Cholo [Simeone], and if I do it the same, better for me."

    Some pundits have suggested that Joao Felix's attacking nature is at odds with the rigid nature of Simeone's coaching style.

    Simeone has maintained Joao Felix will show his best form once he has fully adapted to LaLiga, though, which the Portugal international agrees with.

    "Many people say one thing, others say another, but I am here to play Cholo football and I do what he asks," he added.

    "Let's see. I'm adapting to Spain, doing my football, I'm meeting the club and always thinking of improving."

    Joao Felix's situation has been likened to that of Sergio Aguero, who scored just six LaLiga goals in 38 appearances in his debut campaign at Atleti before becoming a fan favourite and earning a move to Manchester City.

    "Kun is now a great player, but when he was at Atletico, I was five years old and I don't remember anything," Joao Felix, who overtook Aguero as the youngest Champions League goalscorer in Atleti history, said of such a comparison. 

    "It's good to break records, all the players like to make history and of course I'm happy to be part of Atletico's history and to have surpassed a player like Kun." 

    As for the criticisms, Joao Felix says the comments of others do not affect him.

    "No, you [the media] do your job and I try to do mine, if things don't go the way you like it, I don't care," he said.

    "As I said, I play because I like it and I am not worried about what the press or others think.

    "I try not to see [the criticism], but there are some that I hear or come to me, but what am I going to do? Listen and follow my work."

    There is high interest in Joao Felix this week as he returns home with Atleti to complete a Champions League campaign disrupted by coronavirus with the tournament being finished in a one-match knockout format in Lisbon.

    Atleti face RB Leipzig in the quarter-finals on Thursday and Joao Felix is excited to be playing on home soil.

    "Yes, the Champions League is always the high point of any player and even more so playing it here in Lisbon, at home, I am very happy and it is very good for me," he said.

  • Rumour Has It: Havertz still pushing for Chelsea move as Man Utd eye Fati, Dembele Rumour Has It: Havertz still pushing for Chelsea move as Man Utd eye Fati, Dembele

    Kai Havertz is reportedly still pushing for a move to Chelsea, while Manchester United are considering their options.

    Havertz has been heavily linked with a move to Chelsea after an impressive season with Bayer Leverkusen.

    The attacker may be getting closer to a switch to Stamford Bridge.

     

    TOP STORY – HAVERTZ STILL PUSHING FOR CHELSEA MOVE

    Havertz is still pushing for a move to Chelsea from Leverkusen, according to Fabrizio Romano.

    The Germany international would join Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech in heading to Chelsea ahead of 2020-21.

    Havertz scored 18 goals and provided nine assists in 45 games for Leverkusen this season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - With Jadon Sancho potentially staying at Borussia Dortmund, Manchester United could look elsewhere. Sport reports United are insisting on Barcelona's teenage forward Ansu Fati and are willing to pay more than £90million (€100m). Meanwhile, ESPN reports United are looking at another Barcelona attacker in Ousmane Dembele.

    - Real Madrid are considering their options ahead of next season. AS reports the LaLiga champions will bring back Martin Odegaard, who has been on loan at Real Sociedad, and Dani Ceballos, the latter having spent time on loan at Arsenal.

    - Chelsea are linked with numerous moves ahead of 2020-21. However, The Guardian reports they are yet to make a bid for West Ham star Declan Rice.

    - After a fine career at Manchester City, David Silva is leaving the Premier League giants. The Guardian reports Silva, 34, will join Lazio on a three-year deal.

    - Quincy Promes has caught the eye at Ajax. The Sun reports Arsenal are eyeing a £25m (€27.8m) move for the forward, who netted 16 times in 28 games in 2019-20.

    - Mario Gotze is set to have plenty of interest after leaving Borussia Dortmund. However, Sport Bild reports the 28-year-old has rejected a move to MLS side Inter Miami.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.