EPL

Solskjaer excited by Man Utd's 'special kid' Greenwood

By Sports Desk June 30, 2020

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has described Mason Greenwood as a "special kid" following his superb display in Manchester United's 3-0 Premier League win over Brighton and Hove Albion on Tuesday.

United cranked up the pressure on fourth-place Chelsea with an effortless win at the Amex Stadium, with Greenwood getting them on their way early on.

That was followed by two Bruno Fernandes strikes – the second of which was superbly set up by Greenwood after a flowing counter attack.

Solskjaer was full of praise for the 18-year-old and says he is destined for a bright future.

"Mason's first goal was brilliant and he played fantastically," he told Sky Sports. "He's a special kid, we know when he gets faced up he looks dangerous. His link up play was great today.

"He's got a knack of that. He can go inside or outside and he is developing into a fine player."

Solskjaer was also fulsome in his praise of Fernandes, who took his tally to five goals in eight Premier League games following his January move from Sporting CP.

The 25-year-old has quickly become an instrumental figure for the Red Devils and his boss is delighted with his "winning mentality".

"We have some top players and Bruno has come and been fantastic," he told BBC Sport. "He has brought that winning mentality with him; that 99 per cent is not good enough – it has to be 100 per cent."

Related items

  • Barcelona signing Neymar 'unlikely' Barcelona signing Neymar 'unlikely'

    Neymar returning to Barcelona from Paris Saint-Germain is "unlikely", according to the LaLiga club's president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

    The Brazil forward left Camp Nou for the French capital in a world-record €222million deal back in 2017, but a return to Barcelona - where he won eight major trophies across four seasons - has long been mooted.

    However, Bartomeu thinks such a move would be hard to pull off in the current climate as Europe's elite clubs adjust their plans due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    "Such an operation is unlikely because the situation of all the clubs in Europe is very difficult," Bartomeu told RAC 1.

    Yet there was no such dismissal when Bartomeu was asked about another forward in Lautaro Martinez.

    Lionel Messi's Argentina team-mate is said to have a €111m release clause in his contract, but that is thought to expire on Tuesday, and it has been reported Barca will not try to activate it before the deadline passes.

    Martinez, 22, has scored 17 times in 37 appearances for Inter this term and is under contract at San Siro until 2023.

    "I'm not talking about transfers," Bartomeu added when asked about Martinez.

    "We have not marked the signings in the calendar on when they should be."

    One man who will be joining Barcelona is midfielder Miralem Pjanic, who will move at the end of this season, with Arthur heading in the opposite direction to join Juventus.

    Though Pjanic is seven years older than Arthur and there are reports Barcelona looked to offload the Brazilian to balance the books, Bartomeu insists the new signing had been a long-term target.

    "Pjanic is a player who has wanted to sign for a long time, he was highly sought after and there is a Barca player who wants Juve," Bartomeu explained.

    "But it is an exceptional situation. It is not to balance balances because we would have sold other players for whom we had offers. Arthur is a player who is highly valued."

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd and Man City battling for Koulibaly and Skriniar, Rangnick agrees Milan deal Rumour Has It: Man Utd and Man City battling for Koulibaly and Skriniar, Rangnick agrees Milan deal

    Already rivals on the field, Manchester United and Manchester City might be set to clash off it.

    Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly and Milan Skriniar of Inter are both reportedly wanted in Manchester.

    An off-season battle may therefore be set to take place between the two foes.

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED, CITY EYEING DEFENDERS

    Manchester United and neighbours Manchester City are going head-to-head for centre-backs, according to the Independent.

    United and City are both reportedly eyeing defensive reinforcements as they look to catch Premier League champions Liverpool next season.

    Napoli star Kalidou Koulibaly and Inter defender Milan Skriniar – also wanted by Real Madrid – have been strongly linked to the Manchester clubs.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Ralf Rangnick has agreed a deal to become the head coach of Milan in 2020-21, says The Guardian. Rangnick will replace Stefano Pioli, who was only appointed in October. The German is also set to hold talks about combining the coaching role with that of sporting director – a position held by Milan great Paolo Maldini.

    - Qualifying for the Champions League will be the first step of any deal to bring Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho to United, reports the Evening Standard. Sancho has been linked to Liverpool, Chelsea and Madrid.

    - According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Paris Saint-Germain are poised to make an €80million offer for Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. The Ligue 1 champions, however, are wary of competition from United, Madrid and Chelsea.

    Kai Havertz is aware of interest from Chelsea but the Premier League side are yet to make an offer for the Bayer Leverkusen star, claims Bild's Christian Falk. Liverpool, United, Madrid, Bayern Munich and Barcelona have also emerged as possible destinations.

    Juventus, Inter and Atletico Madrid are eyeing Arsenal forward Alexandre Lacazette, according to L'Equipe.

    - A cross-town move? Gianluca Di Marzio says Inter are continuing to pursue Milan midfielder Franck Kessie.

    Nathan Ake to United? The Daily Mail claims Bournemouth could be forced to sell some of their stars as they battle to avoid relegation. The defender has previously been linked to City.

    Juve are interested in Arkadiusz Milik but Napoli would prefer not to sell to their Serie A rivals, reports Calciomercato. Napoli are said to be prepared to move Milik abroad amid links to Atletico and Tottenham.

  • Sevilla's Ocampos scores and makes injury-time save as goalkeeper in LaLiga Sevilla's Ocampos scores and makes injury-time save as goalkeeper in LaLiga

    Lucas Ocampos scored and made an injury-time save as a goalkeeper to help Sevilla cement fourth spot in LaLiga with victory over Eibar.

    Sevilla winger Ocampos netted his 15th goal of the season in Monday's 1-0 win at home to struggling Eibar.

    After giving Sevilla a 56th-minute lead, Ocampos replaced injured goalkeeper Tomas Vaclick in the final minute of stoppage time as Julen Lopetegui's side had already made all five substitutions.

    Ocampos put on the gloves and was forced to produce a last-gasp save, denying Eibar goalkeeper Marko Dmitrovic from close range to ensure Sevilla claimed maximum points.

    "It was a strange moment for sure," Ocampos said. "Sometimes I play around as a goalkeeper in practice, but I never imagined that I would have to do it in the final minute of a game.

    "The goalkeeper trainer just told me not to leave the net to avoid making a mistake, and the ball ended up coming my way and I was able to make the save.

    "We knew how important it was for us to win this match today."

    Sevilla are fourth in LaLiga with four matches remaining, six clear of Villarreal and two adrift of third-placed Atletico Madrid.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.