Thiago Silva, Choupo-Moting and Sergio Rico extend PSG stays until end of season

By Sports Desk June 29, 2020

Thiago Silva, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Sergio Rico will all stay at Paris Saint-Germain until the end of the season.

French football was halted in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, with Ligue 1 subsequently concluded early at the end of April. Final table positions were decided on a points-per-game basis and thus secured PSG the title.

But a decision on the two cup competitions, the Coupe de France and Coupe de la Ligue, was delayed in the hope of potentially playing two finals at a later date.

The French Football Federation (FFF) confirmed earlier this month that the two matches will take place on July 24 and 31, respectively, while UEFA also announced the remaining rounds of the Champions League are to take place in Lisbon the following month.

PSG have now ensured Silva, Choupo-Moting and Rico will be available for all three competitions.

The Parisians had already announced club captain Silva, 35, will be leaving at the end of the 2019-20 campaign, but his extension means he could depart having potentially lifted three more trophies.

Choupo-Moting is also set to leave the club on a free transfer, while Rico had been due to return to parent club Sevilla at the end of June.

PSG will face Saint-Etienne in the Coupe de France, before contesting the last ever Coupe de la Ligue final with Lyon.

They are also into the quarter-finals of the Champions League having eliminated Borussia Dortmund prior to the season's hiatus.

Related items

  • Klopp dreams of Liverpool team 'full of Scousers' Klopp dreams of Liverpool team 'full of Scousers'

    Jurgen Klopp's dream is to field a team "full of Scousers" after Liverpool-born midfielder Curtis Jones celebrated his new deal by scoring his first goal for the club.

    The Reds marked their first game at Anfield as Premier League champions with a 2-0 win over Aston Villa on Sunday.

    Jones, who signed a new contract the day before, got the second goal and Klopp would love to see more academy players make an impact at the club, with Harvey Elliott having also put pen to paper on his first professional deal this week.

    "I really like that these boys have committed their future," Klopp said ahead of Wednesday's trip to Brighton and Hove Albion. 

    "Our academy is producing some great players in the past few years. We try.

    "What we want to be is the sport for everybody with a Scouse soul. We want to be of course if you love football and are talented we want you to be here.

    "The dream is to have all the boys [from the academy]. The dream is to have a team full of Scousers."

    On the challenge of taking on Graham Potter's Brighton, who have earned seven points from four games since the resumption to move nine clear of the relegation zone, Klopp revealed he was not entirely sure what to expect.

    "They are a really good football team, what they have done in the last season is incredible," he said.

    "Implementing a proper football style. He is doing a really good job there. They changed their approach since lockdown.

    "So we don't know exactly what we will face. We need to be ready for that."

  • Barcelona signing Neymar 'unlikely' Barcelona signing Neymar 'unlikely'

    Neymar returning to Barcelona from Paris Saint-Germain is "unlikely", according to the LaLiga club's president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

    The Brazil forward left Camp Nou for the French capital in a world-record €222million deal back in 2017, but a return to Barcelona - where he won eight major trophies across four seasons - has long been mooted.

    However, Bartomeu thinks such a move would be hard to pull off in the current climate as Europe's elite clubs adjust their plans due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    "Such an operation is unlikely because the situation of all the clubs in Europe is very difficult," Bartomeu told RAC 1.

    Yet there was no such dismissal when Bartomeu was asked about another forward in Lautaro Martinez.

    Lionel Messi's Argentina team-mate is said to have a €111m release clause in his contract, but that is thought to expire on Tuesday, and it has been reported Barca will not try to activate it before the deadline passes.

    Martinez, 22, has scored 17 times in 37 appearances for Inter this term and is under contract at San Siro until 2023.

    "I'm not talking about transfers," Bartomeu added when asked about Martinez.

    "We have not marked the signings in the calendar on when they should be."

    One man who will be joining Barcelona is midfielder Miralem Pjanic, who will move at the end of this season, with Arthur heading in the opposite direction to join Juventus.

    Though Pjanic is seven years older than Arthur and there are reports Barcelona looked to offload the Brazilian to balance the books, Bartomeu insists the new signing had been a long-term target.

    "Pjanic is a player who has wanted to sign for a long time, he was highly sought after and there is a Barca player who wants Juve," Bartomeu explained.

    "But it is an exceptional situation. It is not to balance balances because we would have sold other players for whom we had offers. Arthur is a player who is highly valued."

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd and Man City battling for Koulibaly and Skriniar, Rangnick agrees Milan deal Rumour Has It: Man Utd and Man City battling for Koulibaly and Skriniar, Rangnick agrees Milan deal

    Already rivals on the field, Manchester United and Manchester City might be set to clash off it.

    Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly and Milan Skriniar of Inter are both reportedly wanted in Manchester.

    An off-season battle may therefore be set to take place between the two foes.

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED, CITY EYEING DEFENDERS

    Manchester United and neighbours Manchester City are going head-to-head for centre-backs, according to the Independent.

    United and City are both reportedly eyeing defensive reinforcements as they look to catch Premier League champions Liverpool next season.

    Napoli star Kalidou Koulibaly and Inter defender Milan Skriniar – also wanted by Real Madrid – have been strongly linked to the Manchester clubs.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Ralf Rangnick has agreed a deal to become the head coach of Milan in 2020-21, says The Guardian. Rangnick will replace Stefano Pioli, who was only appointed in October. The German is also set to hold talks about combining the coaching role with that of sporting director – a position held by Milan great Paolo Maldini.

    - Qualifying for the Champions League will be the first step of any deal to bring Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho to United, reports the Evening Standard. Sancho has been linked to Liverpool, Chelsea and Madrid.

    - According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Paris Saint-Germain are poised to make an €80million offer for Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. The Ligue 1 champions, however, are wary of competition from United, Madrid and Chelsea.

    Kai Havertz is aware of interest from Chelsea but the Premier League side are yet to make an offer for the Bayer Leverkusen star, claims Bild's Christian Falk. Liverpool, United, Madrid, Bayern Munich and Barcelona have also emerged as possible destinations.

    Juventus, Inter and Atletico Madrid are eyeing Arsenal forward Alexandre Lacazette, according to L'Equipe.

    - A cross-town move? Gianluca Di Marzio says Inter are continuing to pursue Milan midfielder Franck Kessie.

    Nathan Ake to United? The Daily Mail claims Bournemouth could be forced to sell some of their stars as they battle to avoid relegation. The defender has previously been linked to City.

    Juve are interested in Arkadiusz Milik but Napoli would prefer not to sell to their Serie A rivals, reports Calciomercato. Napoli are said to be prepared to move Milik abroad amid links to Atletico and Tottenham.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.