Neves, Traore futures not tied to Champions League qualification, insists Nuno

By Sports Desk June 26, 2020

Wolves coach Nuno Espirito Santo is adamant the futures of star players such as Ruben Neves and Adama Traore are not tied to the club qualifying for the Champions League.

Nuno's side sit sixth in the Premier League after 31 matches and certainly appear to be in with a good chance of securing Europa League football, though a top-four finish is not beyond them yet either.

However, five points separate them from Chelsea in fourth, and even if Manchester City's Champions League ban is upheld, Manchester United are in pole position to take the final qualification spot for Europe's elite competition – though they are only ahead of Wolves on goal difference.

Wolves could still qualify for the Champions League through the Europa League. Nuno's men drew 1-1 with Olympiacos in the away leg of their last-16 tie, which is to be completed in August before the last eight is contested in Germany, the final to be held at the RheinEnergieStadion in Cologne.

Neves, Traore and Raul Jimenez have all been key components for Wolves over the past two seasons, but there is a sense they could be outgrowing the club as other teams reportedly weigh up potential moves.

Nuno insists Wolves do not need to qualify for the Champions League to keep their squad intact, however.

"I don't think that's the reason they are here," Nuno said when asked if Champions League qualification is vital for certain players.

"The reason is they enjoy working together, so we don't have to achieve anything to retain them. At no point am I thinking about it.

"We don't think about that [the top four]. There's no race for anything, the race is to compete, improve and make good games. This is the challenge for every team in this moment.

"I'm very proud of the work we have been doing. We have begun to build something, we did the right things and we are still in a building process.

"We have achieved important and remarkable things but still have a long way to go, there is still a lot of room to improve.

"When we started we didn't know what was in front of us but we know we had a fantastic club to take care of and try to become as huge as it was in its past history."

Related items

  • Barcelona put €300m release clause on new signing Gustavo Maia Barcelona put €300m release clause on new signing Gustavo Maia

    Barcelona have completed the signing of Sao Paulo's Gustavo Maia and included a €300million release clause in the teenager's deal.

    The winger, who will join the club's B team, has signed a five-year deal after impressing in Brazil.

    Barca had already paid €1m to cement a purchase option on the 19-year-old and have parted with another €3.5m to secure his services.

    Maia, who was nearly sent on loan to Flamengo last year, became a father in December and overcame personal issues to force his way into the starting line-up at the Copinha, where he scored three goals in seven games.

  • Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing

    Inter have confirmed the signing of Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez on a permanent deal.

    Sanchez has put pen to paper on a three-year deal with the Serie A club following a successful season-long loan with Antonio Conte's side.

    The 31-year-old Chile international joined United from Premier League rivals Arsenal in 2018, but failed to show what he is capable of at Old Trafford.

    Sanchez is reported to have joined Inter on a free transfer after United ripped up his contract, which was said to earn him an astonishing £560,000-a-week.

    He scored four goals in 29 appearances for the Nerazzurri following his switch to San Siro last August.

    Sanchez found the back of the net only five times in 45 matches for the Red Devils after arriving at the club in January 2018 in a deal that saw Henrikh Mkhitaryan move to Arsenal.

    United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer revealed that Sanchez would be heading back to Inter following a 2-1 Europa League last-16 second leg victory over LASK on Wednesday.

    "I can confirm that he's agreed and we've agreed. Alexis enjoyed his time there," he said. 

    "They've liked him, so of course that's a good move for him. Wish him all the best. He's a top player that we want to see play his best football.

    "For whatever reason, we didn't see the best of Alexis, but he's a top professional and we just wish him all the best."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing BREAKING NEWS: Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing

    Inter have confirmed the signing of Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez on a permanent deal.

    Sanchez has put pen to paper on a three-year deal with the Serie A club following a successful season-long loan with Antonio Conte's side.

    The 31-year-old Chile international joined United from Premier League rivals Arsenal in 2018, but failed to show what he is capable of at Old Trafford.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.