Sarri denies row with rumoured Barcelona target Pjanic

By Sports Desk June 21, 2020

Maurizio Sarri has emphatically dismissed rumours of a row with Miralem Pjanic as Juventus prepare to resume their Serie A campaign. 

A story in the Italian media claimed the Juve boss had a disagreement with the midfielder - who has been heavily linked with Barcelona - during a training session ahead of the game against Bologna on Monday. 

However, Sarri made clear on Sunday that there has been no clash between the pair, revealing he has a good relationship with Pjanic and branding the report fake news. 

The 30-year-old was allegedly set to be dropped but Juve are lacking options in midfield; Aaron Ramsey is still not ready to play 90 minutes, according to his coach, while Sami Khedira is sidelined. 

"The story of my quarrel with Pjanic is one of the biggest hoaxes of the season," Sarri told Sky Sport in Italy.  

"I talk a lot with Miralem, maybe he is one of the guys with whom I have more discussions and a better relationship. Pjanic has done the same as the team in these last two games - made a good start and then subsequently dropped off.  

"For tomorrow's game, let's see how he is and then we'll decide.  

"Of course we don't have many other solutions in that role at the moment. Ramsey is more likely to play in part of the game, rather than for 90 minutes." 

Juve have played twice already since the action restarted in Italy following the suspension of the season due to the coronavirus pandemic.

They drew at home with Milan to progress in the Coppa Italia, only to lose on penalties to Napoli in Wednesday's final in Rome.

Now their focus switches back to the league, Sarri's table-topping squad holding a one-point lead over Lazio as they bid to be crowned champions for a ninth straight season.

"The first games are the most dangerous, because there are no certainties about the teams' responses," Sarri said ahead of the trip to opponents who sit in 10th place.

"Bologna are doing very well, playing good football. We have to hold them in high regard, play a shrewd game and hope to go up a level."

Related items

  • Sevilla sign one of Europe's best creators as Gomez and Atalanta part ways Sevilla sign one of Europe's best creators as Gomez and Atalanta part ways

    Alejandro Gomez's seven-year association with Atalanta is over after their former captain completed a move to Sevilla.

    Gomez, 32, joined Atalanta from Metalist Kharkiv in 2014 and was a key factor in the club's rise from mid-table also-rans to regular top-four challengers.

    He became captain in 2017 after a personal-best haul of 16 Serie A goals in 2016-17 and then skippered the club to their highest-ever top-flight finish of third in 2018-19.

    They repeated the feat in 2019-20 and Gomez, whose 16 assists was the most by any player in a single Serie A season this century, was named the league's best midfielder in the end-of-season awards.

    But Gomez and coach Gian Piero Gasperini reportedly fell out earlier this season, with Italian media claiming the player had refused to carry out the manager's orders in the 1-1 Champions League draw with Midtjylland.

    Speculation was rife throughout December about whether the pair would be able to repair their relationship or if Gomez was on his way out, with Inter initially thought to be his likeliest of options.

    But more recently Italian publications suggested Atalanta were keen to offload him to a foreign team, and Sevilla – whom Gomez had previously suggested were his favourite Spanish team – made their move.

    The talented attacker, who can play on the left flank or behind the striker, signed a contract until June 2024 on Tuesday.

    He is an Argentina team-mate of current Sevilla players Lucas Ocampos and Marcos Acuna, and was given his Albiceleste bow by the club's former coach Jorge Sampaoli.

    Sevilla will hope Gomez can serve them as effectively he did Atalanta in the main – from the start of 2018-19 until December 16, when he last featured in Serie A for the Bergamo side, no player across Europe's big five leagues played more key passes than his 233.

    Similarly, his 29 assists across the same period was bettered by only Thomas Muller (36), Lionel Messi (34) and Jadon Sancho (33). There were also only five players to create more Opta-defined "big chances" than his 40 in that time.

  • Ighalo bids farewell to Man Utd fans as 'lifelong dream' comes to an end Ighalo bids farewell to Man Utd fans as 'lifelong dream' comes to an end

    Odion Ighalo has said an emotional goodbye to Manchester United after his "lifelong dream" of playing for the Red Devils came to an end.

    The striker was signed last February on loan from Shanghai Greenland Shenhua, initially on a deal until the end of the 2019-20 season.

    The 31-year-old enjoyed a productive first few months at Old Trafford as an alternative striker option to Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial, providing five goals and two assists in 19 appearances in all competitions.

    United won 13, drew four and lost just twice in games in which Ighalo featured last term as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side enjoyed a strong second half of the season, finishing third in the Premier League and reaching the semi-finals of the FA Cup and Europa League.

    Due to the season being prolonged by the coronavirus pandemic, Ighalo's loan was extended until January 30 this year, but the signing of Edinson Cavani on a free transfer reduced the Nigerian's opportunities and he has played only four times in 2020-21.

    On Tuesday, a heavy-hearted Ighalo confirmed via social media that his time at the club he has supported all his life is now over.

    However, he was eager to thank manager Solskjaer for giving him the "honour" of playing in the famous red shirt.

    "It's so hard to see this dream come to an end," Ighalo wrote. "But I give God the glory for helping me fulfill this life long [sic] dream of putting on a Manchester United shirt as a player and represent this great club, it was indeed an honor I will forever cherish and be grateful for.

    "To the manager I say thank you for trusting and believing in me when many did not, to my amazing team-mates I will miss you guys, it was always fun and a time I look [sic] forward to training and spending time with all of you. And I pray we win the LEAGUE and FA cup this year.

    "To the best fans in the world (the Manchester United fans) we have missed you, but we hear your voices cheering us on from afar, we can't wait to have you all back on the stands.

    "I'm still and would remain a MANCHESTER UNITED FAN forever. Once a Red, always a Red."

  • Chelsea confirm Tuchel as Lampard successor Chelsea confirm Tuchel as Lampard successor

    Thomas Tuchel has been appointed Chelsea head coach following the dismissal of Frank Lampard.

    Chelsea have handed former Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint-Germain boss Tuchel a contract initially until the end of next season.

    The 47-year-old had been out of work since being sacked by PSG in December.

    Chelsea confirmed on their official website: "Thomas Tuchel has been appointed as the new Chelsea head coach."

    Tuchel said: "I would like to thank Chelsea FC for their confidence in me and my staff.

    "We all have the greatest respect for Frank Lampard's work and the legacy he created at Chelsea. At the same time, I cannot wait to meet my new team and compete in the most exciting league in football. I am grateful to now be part of the Chelsea family - it feels amazing!"

    Chelsea said there was a "possibility" of Tuchel securing an extended stay at Stamford Bridge, and director Marina Granovskaia urged him to grasp an opportunity to deliver instant success this season.

    She said: "It is never easy to change head coach in the middle of the season but we are very happy to secure one of Europe's best coaches in Thomas Tuchel.

    "There is still much to play for and much to achieve, this season and beyond. We welcome Thomas to the club."

    Tuchel took training at Chelsea on Tuesday evening as he immediately began work with the squad.

    Chelsea will be keen for Tuchel to make a quick impact on the pitch, with the Blues having let Lampard go after a run of two wins in eight Premier League matches.

    They face Wolves at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday before entertaining Burnley in the top flight on Sunday.

    Despite leading PSG to a first Champions League final, where they were defeated 1-0 by Bayern Munich in August, Tuchel was replaced by Mauricio Pochettino after overseeing four Ligue 1 defeats before the 2020-21 mid-season break. PSG were third, a point behind Lyon and Lille, when Tuchel was ousted.

    The German won two Ligue 1 titles, the Trophee des Champions twice, the Coupe de France and the Coupe de la Ligue during his two and a half years at the helm in Paris.

    Prior to that he spent two years with Dortmund, winning the DFB-Pokal in 2016-17 but failing to dethrone Bayern in the Bundesliga.

    He left both his previous positions following an apparent breakdown in relations with senior leadership figures.

    Tuchel had a disagreement with Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke after a Champions League game against Monaco was pushed back by just one day after the Bundesliga side's bus was attacked.

    At PSG he was involved in a public dispute with sporting director Leonardo over the club's transfer policy and reportedly claimed he felt more like "a politician rather than a coach", though he later said that remark was mistranslated.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.