Griezmann hopes to end career in MLS after winning trophies with Barcelona

By Sports Desk June 05, 2020

Antoine Griezmann intends to finish his career in MLS but only after achieving his objective of winning LaLiga and the Champions League with Barcelona.

The France international joined Barca from Atletico Madrid in a big-money deal last year and has endured a mixed first campaign at Camp Nou, scoring eight goals in 26 league appearances.

Barca are top of LaLiga with 11 games to play and are tied at 1-1 after the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie with Napoli.

Griezmann, 29, has targeted success in both competitions, as well as helping his national side to retain the World Cup in 2022, before considering a switch to the United States.

"Winning LaLiga and the Champions League with Barca would be a dream, and also my objective," he told the Los Angeles Times. 

"There's also another World Cup in Qatar. And after that the MLS."

Griezmann has previously revealed that he would be open to linking up with David Beckham's Inter Miami franchise, but he is not ruling out a move to any MLS side.

"I don't know with which team, but I really want to play there," he said. 

"For me it's an objective to end my career in the United States with the possibility of playing well and being a big part of the team and fighting for a title."

Griezmann is back in training with Barcelona ahead of their return to LaLiga action on June 13, more than three months after the coronavirus pandemic brought the division to a halt.

Related items

  • Real Madrid's Vinicius misses training after COVID-19 test Real Madrid's Vinicius misses training after COVID-19 test

    Vinicius Junior must repeat a COVID-19 test after an apparently anomalous result, Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane has revealed.

    Zidane was speaking ahead of his team's LaLiga match against Deportivo Alaves on Friday, where Vinicius' participation is now in doubt after a test "went badly".

    The 19-year-old sat out training on Thursday and must wait to find out if he will be available to face Alaves.

    "The doctors informed me that the test went badly and that we need to repeat it," said Zidane, who will be without Luka Jovic after the forward was forced to self-isolate due to coming into contact with a friend who contracted COVID-19.

    When he was asked to clarify whether "badly" might mean Vinicius had tested positive for coronavirus, he replied: "Sometimes there are errors. That can happen.

    "Whenever something like that happens, the player can't train. I hope it's nothing and that he can be with us for Friday's game.

    "We'll have his results this afternoon."

    Even if Vinicius is forced to sit out, Eden Hazard will be available as Madrid seek a victory that would give them a four-point advantage over Barcelona with three games remaining.

    The Belgium playmaker was absent from the back-to-back 1-0 wins over Getafe and Athletic Bilbao and has had his debut season in the Spanish capital ruined by a broken foot.

    "It is not a relapse and he has trained with us normally," Zidane said.

    "I hope he will be with us in the four remaining games and then in the Champions League.

    "He wants to be with us and he is not afraid, but it is the third relapse and it bothers him a little.

    "There are people here who know much more than me and the image [X-ray] comes out clean, it is perfect, but the discomfort is normal after a game or strong training.

    "He is not afraid and wants to help the team and tomorrow he will be with us "

    Marcelo faces a scan on an unspecified complaint, but Raphael Varane is set to return at centre-back after recovering from concussion.

    "We haven't won anything," Zidane said, when confronted with his team's strong position heading into the final stretch.

    "Four games are remaining and tomorrow is another final.

    "I am sorry to repeat myself, but there is no other choice. What we want is to continue with what we are doing."

  • Pellegrini to take charge of Real Betis from next season Pellegrini to take charge of Real Betis from next season

    Manuel Pellegrini will take over as head coach of Real Betis from next season, the club confirmed on Thursday.

    Former Manchester City and Real Madrid boss Pellegrini has agreed a three-year contract at the Estadio Benito Villamarin.

    The 66-year-old Chilean had been without a team since being sacked by West Ham last December.

    Betis fired Rubi just three games after LaLiga's restart, following its suspension amid the coronavirus pandemic, leaving the team in 14th.

    Sporting director Alexis Trujillo was handed the reins until the end of the season and has overseen two wins in five games.

    Although Pellegrini's greatest achievement is a Premier League and EFL Cup double with City in 2013-14, he has impressed in LaLiga with teams from outside the established elite.

    He led Villarreal to the Champions League semi-finals in 2005-06 and to a second-place finish in the top flight two years later.

    Pellegrini spent a trophy-less 2009-10 with Madrid before taking over Malaga and being denied a return to the Champions League semi-finals in 2012-13 by a pair of stoppage-time goals from Borussia Dortmund.

  • Lack of Premier League experience costing Aston Villa – Petrov Lack of Premier League experience costing Aston Villa – Petrov

    Stiliyan Petrov is unsurprised by Aston Villa's struggles in the Premier League this season, believing questionable recruitment is a main factor.

    Villa sit 18th in the table ahead of Manchester United's visit on Thursday, with Dean Smith's side four points off safety.

    However, ex-Villa captain Petrov is in no way surprised by the club's perilous position, and the former midfielder cited the recruitment of inexperienced players as a major issue for Villa.

    "I'm not surprised. I remember at the start of the season saying it was a big task for them," Petrov told Stats Perform News.

    "Recruitment and prep, they were way behind everybody else. It was expected. It doesn't look promising.

    "[These are] challenging times for the club and for fans, like me. I hope the boys can pick it up enough to stay up, but with Watford winning [on Tuesday] our task is more difficult.

    "Villa signed a lot of promising players, but inexperienced players. It took me two years to adapt to the league from Celtic, so you can see where the trouble is.

    "The problem is scoring goals. You can let them in but if you don't create opportunities then it's very difficult.

    "I don't know what plan they have, but I hope we can stay up. Getting back up will be difficult."

    Petrov also acknowledged it will be a challenge for Villa to keep hold of their key performers should they fail to beat the drop, using England international Tyrone Mings as an example.

    "He's been a very good addition to the club," Petrov said of the defender, who joined from Bournemouth in 2019 following a successful loan spell at Villa Park.

    "He's shown he's improving. He wants to be a leader; he likes to be a leader.

    "It will be difficult to keep hold of him if we go down, he is an asset and some people will look to buy. I know we've lost a lot of games, but his individual performances and development have been well ahead of everyone else."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.