EPL

Giroud 'very nearly' left Chelsea in January amid Inter and Lazio interest

By Sports Desk June 02, 2020

Olivier Giroud admitted he "very nearly" left Chelsea during the January transfer window before extending his contract with the Premier League club.

Giroud was linked with Serie A sides Inter and Lazio, but last month extended his deal through until the end of next season.

The 33-year-old striker said he was close to leaving Stamford Bridge before receiving assurances from head coach Frank Lampard.

"I was supposed to leave in the January transfer window because I wasn't playing much and I needed more game time to make the France squad for Euro 2020," Giroud told the club's website.

"I very nearly left the club but I really think that God wanted me to stay at Chelsea.

"The manager told me that he couldn't let me leave because he didn't have anyone to replace me. Everyone knows what happened so I won't go back over it but the coach spoke to me privately and told me that he'd give more games.

"He kept his word and what then mattered to me was proving to him that he could count on me when I was called upon."

Giroud arrived at Chelsea from Arsenal in 2018 and has already helped the club win the Europa League and FA Cup.

The France international is eager to win more silverware with Chelsea, while saying he was happy in London.

"I want to keep winning trophies and I want to continue to show the manager that he can count on me," Giroud said.

"Plus, with the whole coronavirus lockdown situation, I didn't really feel comfortable with the idea of moving abroad and uprooting my family. I think a lot about our quality of life and we have a great setup here. I think a lot about my family now."

Related items

  • Real Madrid's Vinicius misses training after COVID-19 test Real Madrid's Vinicius misses training after COVID-19 test

    Vinicius Junior must repeat a COVID-19 test after an apparently anomalous result, Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane has revealed.

    Zidane was speaking ahead of his team's LaLiga match against Deportivo Alaves on Friday, where Vinicius' participation is now in doubt after a test "went badly".

    The 19-year-old sat out training on Thursday and must wait to find out if he will be available to face Alaves.

    "The doctors informed me that the test went badly and that we need to repeat it," said Zidane, who will be without Luka Jovic after the forward was forced to self-isolate due to coming into contact with a friend who contracted COVID-19.

    When he was asked to clarify whether "badly" might mean Vinicius had tested positive for coronavirus, he replied: "Sometimes there are errors. That can happen.

    "Whenever something like that happens, the player can't train. I hope it's nothing and that he can be with us for Friday's game.

    "We'll have his results this afternoon."

    Even if Vinicius is forced to sit out, Eden Hazard will be available as Madrid seek a victory that would give them a four-point advantage over Barcelona with three games remaining.

    The Belgium playmaker was absent from the back-to-back 1-0 wins over Getafe and Athletic Bilbao and has had his debut season in the Spanish capital ruined by a broken foot.

    "It is not a relapse and he has trained with us normally," Zidane said.

    "I hope he will be with us in the four remaining games and then in the Champions League.

    "He wants to be with us and he is not afraid, but it is the third relapse and it bothers him a little.

    "There are people here who know much more than me and the image [X-ray] comes out clean, it is perfect, but the discomfort is normal after a game or strong training.

    "He is not afraid and wants to help the team and tomorrow he will be with us "

    Marcelo faces a scan on an unspecified complaint, but Raphael Varane is set to return at centre-back after recovering from concussion.

    "We haven't won anything," Zidane said, when confronted with his team's strong position heading into the final stretch.

    "Four games are remaining and tomorrow is another final.

    "I am sorry to repeat myself, but there is no other choice. What we want is to continue with what we are doing."

  • David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain

    David Silva's legacy at Manchester City will be to have changed the club, according to director of football Txiki Begiristain.

    Veteran playmaker Silva is set to leave City at the end of this season, following a decorated 10-year stint that has yielded four Premier League titles, five EFL Cups and two FA Cups – the first of which in 2011 ended a 35-year trophy drought.

    He offered a reminder of his enduring qualities with a masterful display in Wednesday's 5-0 routing of Newcastle United.

    Silva supplied his 120th and 121st assists in City colours by setting up Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling, while he also dispatched a 65th-minute free-kick – the 76th goal of his time in England.

    Begiristain feels Silva holds a special place in City history, along with club record goalscorer Sergio Aguero and the recently departed Yaya Toure and Vincent Kompany.

    "He's been unbelievable in football in the world - especially here," he told the club's official website. "He's spent 10 wonderful years, winning trophies and changing the dynamic of the club.

    "He's been one of the leaders – with Vincent, with Yaya and Kun [Aguero]. No one will forget what they've done for this football club.

    "Not only the way David plays football but helping us be a successful club.

    "David is always going to be remembered because of that."

    Brazil forward Jesus opened the scoring with his 11th Premier League goal of the season – ending a nine-match drought that stretched back to February's 2-1 Champions League win at Real Madrid.

    Echoing the sentiments of Pep Guardiola, Begiristain praised Jesus' selfless work for the team during a period of personal toil.

    "His work rate, he's unbelievable," he said. "He helps a lot by creating space for the midfielders.

    "He's the number nine and he likes to score and [against Newcastle] he could. We are always happy with the work rate."

  • Lack of Premier League experience costing Aston Villa – Petrov Lack of Premier League experience costing Aston Villa – Petrov

    Stiliyan Petrov is unsurprised by Aston Villa's struggles in the Premier League this season, believing questionable recruitment is a main factor.

    Villa sit 18th in the table ahead of Manchester United's visit on Thursday, with Dean Smith's side four points off safety.

    However, ex-Villa captain Petrov is in no way surprised by the club's perilous position, and the former midfielder cited the recruitment of inexperienced players as a major issue for Villa.

    "I'm not surprised. I remember at the start of the season saying it was a big task for them," Petrov told Stats Perform News.

    "Recruitment and prep, they were way behind everybody else. It was expected. It doesn't look promising.

    "[These are] challenging times for the club and for fans, like me. I hope the boys can pick it up enough to stay up, but with Watford winning [on Tuesday] our task is more difficult.

    "Villa signed a lot of promising players, but inexperienced players. It took me two years to adapt to the league from Celtic, so you can see where the trouble is.

    "The problem is scoring goals. You can let them in but if you don't create opportunities then it's very difficult.

    "I don't know what plan they have, but I hope we can stay up. Getting back up will be difficult."

    Petrov also acknowledged it will be a challenge for Villa to keep hold of their key performers should they fail to beat the drop, using England international Tyrone Mings as an example.

    "He's been a very good addition to the club," Petrov said of the defender, who joined from Bournemouth in 2019 following a successful loan spell at Villa Park.

    "He's shown he's improving. He wants to be a leader; he likes to be a leader.

    "It will be difficult to keep hold of him if we go down, he is an asset and some people will look to buy. I know we've lost a lot of games, but his individual performances and development have been well ahead of everyone else."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.