Zidane emphasising 'enjoyment' as Benzema prepares to hit the ground running

By Sports Desk June 02, 2020

Karim Benzema is convinced Real Madrid will hit the ground running when they resume their LaLiga campaign, highlighting Zinedine Zidane's emphasis on "enjoyment" following the coronavirus-enforced hiatus.

After a three-month suspension to the season due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Madrid will return to the pitch on June 14 when they host Eibar.

LaLiga has been allowed to recommence behind closed doors thanks to the threat of the virus decreasing, and Madrid look set to push Barcelona all the way in the title race.

Barca resume the season two points clear of their bitter rivals, but Benzema is certain Los Blancos are ready for the challenge and they have relished being back in full training, with Zidane putting focus on ensuring the players are enjoying their work.

Benzema told Real Madrid TV: "Zidane's message is enjoyment. Enjoy playing football. We have had more contact with the ball than last week.

"We did more fitness last week and now, as we are closer to the restart of LaLiga, we have been using the ball more.

"The adaptation has been very good, step by step. It is much better here with our team-mates and with the ball, because it is more difficult to do so at home. It is more about the gym and fitness.

"Two months without a ball makes things tougher when you are back, but we are fine now, and we will keep working together with the ball. For instance, we have played a game today [Tuesday] and it's been very good for everyone.

"We can't wait to restart the competition and it's very important to win games. The first game against Eibar at home will be very important. So, we will give our best until the end."

The absence of supporters will be more peculiar for Madrid – who are used to playing in front of up to 80,000 people in the capital – than most, particularly as they are set to play home games at the Alfredo Di Stefano stadium, the 6,000-seat home of the Castilla side, to allow construction work to proceed on the Santiago Bernabeu.

Benzema, though, believes the team will still feel the love from those watching at home.

"It will be different, for sure," said the striker. "We always need our supporters.

"However, we will have our fans here and hopefully all of them will be in front of a TV supporting us, that's all.

"We know we have to win the games because they are very important for us and for the club and we will be at our best."

Related items

  • Real Madrid's Vinicius misses training after COVID-19 test Real Madrid's Vinicius misses training after COVID-19 test

    Vinicius Junior must repeat a COVID-19 test after an apparently anomalous result, Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane has revealed.

    Zidane was speaking ahead of his team's LaLiga match against Deportivo Alaves on Friday, where Vinicius' participation is now in doubt after a test "went badly".

    The 19-year-old sat out training on Thursday and must wait to find out if he will be available to face Alaves.

    "The doctors informed me that the test went badly and that we need to repeat it," said Zidane, who will be without Luka Jovic after the forward was forced to self-isolate due to coming into contact with a friend who contracted COVID-19.

    When he was asked to clarify whether "badly" might mean Vinicius had tested positive for coronavirus, he replied: "Sometimes there are errors. That can happen.

    "Whenever something like that happens, the player can't train. I hope it's nothing and that he can be with us for Friday's game.

    "We'll have his results this afternoon."

    Even if Vinicius is forced to sit out, Eden Hazard will be available as Madrid seek a victory that would give them a four-point advantage over Barcelona with three games remaining.

    The Belgium playmaker was absent from the back-to-back 1-0 wins over Getafe and Athletic Bilbao and has had his debut season in the Spanish capital ruined by a broken foot.

    "It is not a relapse and he has trained with us normally," Zidane said.

    "I hope he will be with us in the four remaining games and then in the Champions League.

    "He wants to be with us and he is not afraid, but it is the third relapse and it bothers him a little.

    "There are people here who know much more than me and the image [X-ray] comes out clean, it is perfect, but the discomfort is normal after a game or strong training.

    "He is not afraid and wants to help the team and tomorrow he will be with us "

    Marcelo faces a scan on an unspecified complaint, but Raphael Varane is set to return at centre-back after recovering from concussion.

    "We haven't won anything," Zidane said, when confronted with his team's strong position heading into the final stretch.

    "Four games are remaining and tomorrow is another final.

    "I am sorry to repeat myself, but there is no other choice. What we want is to continue with what we are doing."

  • David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain

    David Silva's legacy at Manchester City will be to have changed the club, according to director of football Txiki Begiristain.

    Veteran playmaker Silva is set to leave City at the end of this season, following a decorated 10-year stint that has yielded four Premier League titles, five EFL Cups and two FA Cups – the first of which in 2011 ended a 35-year trophy drought.

    He offered a reminder of his enduring qualities with a masterful display in Wednesday's 5-0 routing of Newcastle United.

    Silva supplied his 120th and 121st assists in City colours by setting up Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling, while he also dispatched a 65th-minute free-kick – the 76th goal of his time in England.

    Begiristain feels Silva holds a special place in City history, along with club record goalscorer Sergio Aguero and the recently departed Yaya Toure and Vincent Kompany.

    "He's been unbelievable in football in the world - especially here," he told the club's official website. "He's spent 10 wonderful years, winning trophies and changing the dynamic of the club.

    "He's been one of the leaders – with Vincent, with Yaya and Kun [Aguero]. No one will forget what they've done for this football club.

    "Not only the way David plays football but helping us be a successful club.

    "David is always going to be remembered because of that."

    Brazil forward Jesus opened the scoring with his 11th Premier League goal of the season – ending a nine-match drought that stretched back to February's 2-1 Champions League win at Real Madrid.

    Echoing the sentiments of Pep Guardiola, Begiristain praised Jesus' selfless work for the team during a period of personal toil.

    "His work rate, he's unbelievable," he said. "He helps a lot by creating space for the midfielders.

    "He's the number nine and he likes to score and [against Newcastle] he could. We are always happy with the work rate."

  • Pellegrini to take charge of Real Betis from next season Pellegrini to take charge of Real Betis from next season

    Manuel Pellegrini will take over as head coach of Real Betis from next season, the club confirmed on Thursday.

    Former Manchester City and Real Madrid boss Pellegrini has agreed a three-year contract at the Estadio Benito Villamarin.

    The 66-year-old Chilean had been without a team since being sacked by West Ham last December.

    Betis fired Rubi just three games after LaLiga's restart, following its suspension amid the coronavirus pandemic, leaving the team in 14th.

    Sporting director Alexis Trujillo was handed the reins until the end of the season and has overseen two wins in five games.

    Although Pellegrini's greatest achievement is a Premier League and EFL Cup double with City in 2013-14, he has impressed in LaLiga with teams from outside the established elite.

    He led Villarreal to the Champions League semi-finals in 2005-06 and to a second-place finish in the top flight two years later.

    Pellegrini spent a trophy-less 2009-10 with Madrid before taking over Malaga and being denied a return to the Champions League semi-finals in 2012-13 by a pair of stoppage-time goals from Borussia Dortmund.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.