Trippier raring to go after 'difficult' recovery from injury that plagued him at Spurs

By Sports Desk June 02, 2020

Kieran Trippier is excited to resume the 2019-20 LaLiga season following the coronavirus pandemic, with the full-back also fully fit again following surgery on an injury that plagued him even before leaving Tottenham last year.

Spanish football is due to resume next week after a three-month hiatus, which came at a frustrating time for Trippier, given he had just returned to action following a lay-off.

Trippier had surgery on a groin issue in January and it was a problem he recently revealed caused him significant stress during his final season at Tottenham, criticising the club for putting off the operation.

Although he returned to action a few weeks before LaLiga was suspended, Trippier was still receiving treatment to aid his recovery, but that had to stop once Spain went into lockdown.

The England international acknowledged it was a struggle to retain fitness during the lockdown, but he and Atletico are excited to get going again, with Los Colchoneros set to resume their campaign away to Athletic Bilbao on June 14.

"For me personally, after my surgery, I was used to getting treatment every single day but obviously I couldn't get that at home," he said.

"It was difficult but always you find a way to train, keep yourself in the best possible shape so when you return, you're ready to start the competition again.

"I feel very good to be back. It was very difficult not seeing team-mates, staff, and training every single day. But everybody understands the circumstances of the time.

"Obviously everyone's excited. The team is just looking forward to getting ready for the game against Athletic and it's important that we start the season off again strongly and try to win as many games as we can from now until the end of the season."

The rest of the season will be played behind closed doors and Trippier is aware of how it feels to play in an empty stadium, though he believes Atletico will still feel the love from supporters watching in their own homes.

"I've played in some games where there have been no supporters before and it's different," he added.

"Obviously you want the fans there supporting you every single game, but everybody understands the circumstances at the moment and it's important that everybody is safe.

"We'll always try to find a way to win and the fans are always there watching on TV, so we have the full support from them back home."

Atletico are sixth in LaLiga heading into the final 11 matches of the season, however third-placed Sevilla are just two points better off than Diego Simeone's men.

Related items

  • David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain

    David Silva's legacy at Manchester City will be to have changed the club, according to director of football Txiki Begiristain.

    Veteran playmaker Silva is set to leave City at the end of this season, following a decorated 10-year stint that has yielded four Premier League titles, five EFL Cups and two FA Cups – the first of which in 2011 ended a 35-year trophy drought.

    He offered a reminder of his enduring qualities with a masterful display in Wednesday's 5-0 routing of Newcastle United.

    Silva supplied his 120th and 121st assists in City colours by setting up Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling, while he also dispatched a 65th-minute free-kick – the 76th goal of his time in England.

    Begiristain feels Silva holds a special place in City history, along with club record goalscorer Sergio Aguero and the recently departed Yaya Toure and Vincent Kompany.

    "He's been unbelievable in football in the world - especially here," he told the club's official website. "He's spent 10 wonderful years, winning trophies and changing the dynamic of the club.

    "He's been one of the leaders – with Vincent, with Yaya and Kun [Aguero]. No one will forget what they've done for this football club.

    "Not only the way David plays football but helping us be a successful club.

    "David is always going to be remembered because of that."

    Brazil forward Jesus opened the scoring with his 11th Premier League goal of the season – ending a nine-match drought that stretched back to February's 2-1 Champions League win at Real Madrid.

    Echoing the sentiments of Pep Guardiola, Begiristain praised Jesus' selfless work for the team during a period of personal toil.

    "His work rate, he's unbelievable," he said. "He helps a lot by creating space for the midfielders.

    "He's the number nine and he likes to score and [against Newcastle] he could. We are always happy with the work rate."

  • Pellegrini to take charge of Real Betis from next season Pellegrini to take charge of Real Betis from next season

    Manuel Pellegrini will take over as head coach of Real Betis from next season, the club confirmed on Thursday.

    Former Manchester City and Real Madrid boss Pellegrini has agreed a three-year contract at the Estadio Benito Villamarin.

    The 66-year-old Chilean had been without a team since being sacked by West Ham last December.

    Betis fired Rubi just three games after LaLiga's restart, following its suspension amid the coronavirus pandemic, leaving the team in 14th.

    Sporting director Alexis Trujillo was handed the reins until the end of the season and has overseen two wins in five games.

    Although Pellegrini's greatest achievement is a Premier League and EFL Cup double with City in 2013-14, he has impressed in LaLiga with teams from outside the established elite.

    He led Villarreal to the Champions League semi-finals in 2005-06 and to a second-place finish in the top flight two years later.

    Pellegrini spent a trophy-less 2009-10 with Madrid before taking over Malaga and being denied a return to the Champions League semi-finals in 2012-13 by a pair of stoppage-time goals from Borussia Dortmund.

  • Rumour Has It: Havertz wants Chelsea move, Griezmann gets Barcelona reassurance Rumour Has It: Havertz wants Chelsea move, Griezmann gets Barcelona reassurance

    Kai Havertz is reportedly ready to leave Bayer Leverkusen – and he knows where he wants to go.

    The Germany international enjoyed another fine campaign with the Bundesliga club, leading to interest from across Europe.

    And, it seems Havertz knows his preferred destination.

     

    TOP STORY – HAVERTZ WANTS CHELSEA MOVE

    Havertz wants a move to Chelsea and his agents have told Bayer Leverkusen he would like to leave if an important bid arrives in the next few weeks, according to Fabrizio Romano.

    The 21-year-old is contracted at Leverkusen until 2022, but has been linked with the likes of Real Madrid.

    Havertz scored 17 goals for Leverkusen in 2019-20, having netted 20 times in the previous season.

    ROUND-UP

    - Amid growing pressure on Antoine Griezmann, Barcelona have reassured the forward he has a future at the LaLiga club, according to ESPN.

    - Real Madrid will listen to offers for forward Luka Jovic, according to Marca. The Serbia international has struggled during his first season at the LaLiga giants, scoring just twice in 25 games. Jovic has been linked to the likes of Milan, Arsenal and Newcastle United.

    - Staying at Real Madrid and Sport reports the LaLiga leaders will target Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe and Rennes midfielder Eduardo Camavinga next year.

    - Paul Pogba may be happy to stay at Manchester United. Fabrizio Romano reports United have opened contract talks with the midfielder's agent Mino Raiola, with Pogba having been linked to Madrid and Juventus.

    - Alexandre Lacazette could be set for an Arsenal exit. CalcioMercato reports Juventus have already started talking to the forward's agents about a possible move.

    - Also in Turin, CalcioMercato says Juventus are considering a move for Atalanta left-back Robin Gosens if Alex Sandro decides to leave.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.