Premier League-linked Allegri will have his 'next adventure abroad'

By Sports Desk May 30, 2020

Former AC Milan and Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri is planning to take his next job outside of Italy, according to Cagliari president Tommaso Giulini. 

Allegri has been without a team since leaving Juve at the end of the 2018-19 season, having led the Bianconeri to five Serie A titles, four Coppa Italia wins and the Champions League final twice in five years at the club. 

The 52-year-old revealed last year he was learning English and has been heavily linked with Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain, while talk of interest from Bayern Munich and Arsenal was rife earlier in the campaign. 

Allegri spent two seasons at Cagliari during his playing career and was their coach between 2008 and 2010. 

Giulini offered him the opportunity to return during the club's centenary year but was rebuffed as Allegri intends to work overseas for the first time in his career.

"I made a bit of a mad phone call towards the end of January, offering Allegri the job, knowing full well it was going to be impossible," Giulini told Sky Sports on Saturday, Cagliari's 100th anniversary. 

"Massimiliano told me his next adventure will be abroad, even if he was fascinated by the proposal of leading Cagliari during our centenary year. 

"I knew even before making the phone call it was going to be improbable." 

Related items

  • Man Utd need a defender, not Sancho! Neville doubts title chances with Maguire-Lindelof pairing Man Utd need a defender, not Sancho! Neville doubts title chances with Maguire-Lindelof pairing

    Gary Neville has warned Manchester United they need a new centre-back more than they need Jadon Sancho after a horror show in their opening Premier League game.

    The former United captain said the current side stand no chance of winning the Premier League with Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof at the heart of their defence.

    His brutal verdict was delivered as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team were beaten 3-1 by Crystal Palace at Old Trafford on Saturday.

    After finishing third in the Premier League last season following a 14-match unbeaten run in the competition, United began 2020-21 with high hopes of another lofty finish.

    They want to bring Borussia Dortmund's exciting England winger Sancho to the club, but Neville says their priority should lie elsewhere.

    Speaking on Sky Sports, Neville said: "You can talk about Jadon Sancho all you like, but until they get a centre-back in that can run and defend one on one, you're never going to win the league.

    "They're not going to win the league with that centre-back pairing. They have to get a mobile, quick, dominant centre-back in alongside Lindelof or Maguire."

    United were back on domestic duty five weeks after their 2019-20 Europa League trophy hopes were ended by a semi-final defeat to Sevilla.

    Neville said United looked "knackered", "so leggy it's untrue" and "well short of Crystal Palace" in the fitness stakes.

    Lindelof, the Sweden defender who is in his fourth season at United, was picked apart by Neville for his part in allowing Wilfried Zaha to scythe through and score his second goal and Palace's third.

    "He's just not strong enough there, Lindelof," said Neville. "It's a 50-50; he's weak."

    Neville questioned what United's response would be to their slow start, in light of many of their rivals making statement signings.

    "The usual thing for Manchester United, on the back of something like this, is to react - go and sign a player or two to quell the Twitter and social media voice that will absolutely simmer and boil," Neville said.

    "It's been simmering all week I think, particularly with Liverpool doing business today, Chelsea's done it in the last few weeks, [Gareth] Bale's going to Tottenham.

    "Why are Manchester United not signing the players they need to bolster this squad - a talented squad?"

  • Arsenal 2-1 West Ham: Nketiah edges Gunners to victory Arsenal 2-1 West Ham: Nketiah edges Gunners to victory

    Eddie Nketiah came off the bench to score a late winner as Arsenal edged past West Ham 2-1 in the Premier League at Emirates Stadium on Saturday. 

    The Gunners looked destined to labour to a draw in their first home game of the season until Nketiah slotted home Dani Ceballos' pass with five minutes remaining. 

    Nketiah had only come on in the 77th minute for Alexandre Lacazette, who had opened the scoring in the first half with his 50th goal for Arsenal in all competitions. 

    Michail Antonio equalised before half-time and also rattled the crossbar with a header before Nketiah popped up to consign the Hammers to a second successive defeat to start the campaign.

  • Klopp tips 'cool' Reds recruit Jota to bring new dimension to Liverpool Klopp tips 'cool' Reds recruit Jota to bring new dimension to Liverpool

    Diogo Jota can step straight into the Liverpool team after his stunning move to Anfield, says a delighted Jurgen Klopp. 

    The Portuguese forward joined from Wolves in a reported £45million deal and Klopp believes the newcomer will add valuable and credible competition for places in the Premier League champions' attack. 

    Jota scored 16 goals in 67 Premier League games for Wolves and joins a group of forwards that includes Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Takumi Minamino at Anfield. 

    Manager Klopp said Jota gives him "so many options", with his ability to play anywhere across Liverpool's familiar front three or in a deeper role. 

    "He knows it's a step for him and he can give us things we don't have - that's why it's cool," Klopp said. 

    "The space for improvement is not what I like most, but it's there. He is now already ready to play for us but yes, I'm pretty sure there's something to come. 

    "And the way we play, the way we train and the way we treat people, I think will help him as well. 

    "And, of course, being in a team like this is good because [there are] good players around you, make yourself better. That's how it will be with him as well and what he will do with us." 

    Given the level of investment, Liverpool will expect Jota to deliver as they aim to back up such a successful 2019-20 campaign.

    Klopp always said Liverpool had the finances to spend if the right player came along, after criticism that they were slow to act in the transfer market, and the signing of Jota shows he was working behind the scenes.

    The German boss told Liverpool's website: "He's a player who gives us so many options to use him. He's 23 years old, still far away from being kind of a finished article, so much potential. He has the speed, he can combine, can defend, can press.

    "He has some natural things which we have in our game, like this desire and the greed and the direction.

    "Of course he has to adapt to a few things and has to learn a few things – what we do differently because there are, of course, differences – but a lot of things are already there. And so I'm really excited."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.