EPL

Arsenal chairman Chips Keswick retires

By Sports Desk May 28, 2020

Chips Keswick has retired after seven years as Arsenal's chairman, the Premier League club have confirmed.

Keswick, who turned 80 in February, has been on the Gunners' board since 2005, the year before the club's home, Emirates Stadium, opened.

He was appointed chairman in 2013 and his departure leaves majority owner Stan Kroenke, his son Josh Kroenke, Philip Harris and Ken Friar as the four members on the board.

"It has been an honour to be the chairman of this great football club," Keswick said in a statement on the club's official website.

"Arsenal has always held a special place in my life and that will remain the case in the future. 

"I made my plan to retire at the end of this season clear to the board, before the global health crisis we are now experiencing.

"The club is in safe hands with Stan and Josh, the board and the executive team.

"I know Arsenal will emerge strongly from this situation and I look forward, like all our supporters around the world, to seeing the team in action as soon as possible."

Related items

  • Bruno Fernandes defends Rashford goalscoring form: His teamwork is amazing Bruno Fernandes defends Rashford goalscoring form: His teamwork is amazing

    Marcus Rashford deserves more credit for his "amazing" teamwork for Manchester United despite his goal return drying up, Bruno Fernandes says.

    Rashford reached 20 for the season in all competitions with a penalty in the 5-2 Premier League win over Bournemouth at Old Trafford.

    This has been the England forward's most productive campaign of his career in terms of goal involvements, but he has not yet scored from open play since the Premier League returned last month.

    Fernandes has had no such trouble finding the net, his four goals in his past three league games helping him to win the Premier League Player of the Month award for the second time in a row.

    But the Portugal star insists Rashford is hugely important for a United side unbeaten in 17 matches and with a top-four finish now in their own hands.

    "I think everyone is talking about Marcus not scoring a lot of goals but he is doing an amazing job," Fernandes told United's website ahead of Monday's game against Southampton.

    "The game he is playing now, maybe he is not achieving his goals and everything but, with everything we are doing now, he will achieve more goals and more assists. In the games, in the complete football, because football is not just about goals and assists, it is about the team and Marcus is playing very well for the team.

    "I hope Marcus can find more goals because he deserves it for the work he is doing for the team, and nobody sees it because everyone sees the goals and who scores and assists. The work he is doing for the team is amazing.

    "Marcus was injured for a long time so it's difficult to find that confidence again, to do things like shoot from far out. But he is doing an amazing job for the group and I think he deserves credit for this."

    Fernandes drew attention to Rashford's off-the-ball run in the 3-0 win at Brighton and Hove Albion that helped to create the space for the swift counter-attack that ended with Fernandes volleying in United's third goal.

    "The play we did, the way we came to score, means it's one of the best goals from a team [perspective] that I've scored,” he said.

    "That's because of all the teamwork. We won the ball with the header from H [Harry Maguire], Nemanja [Matic] takes the ball and Mason [Greenwood] did an amazing run but, at that moment, Rashy did a perfect run. He was one of the far [off] guys but comes so fast to the goal that defenders know if they give him space, he will score. 

    "So maybe he [the defender] closes him down being closer to the ball and, when the cross comes over, and it was a great ball by Mason, after that I just need to score the goal."

  • Rumour Has It: Juve and Inter to battle for Zaniolo, City may extend Aguero stay Rumour Has It: Juve and Inter to battle for Zaniolo, City may extend Aguero stay

    Juventus and Inter are reportedly ready to do battle for Roma star Nicolo Zaniolo.

    Zaniolo, 21, made his return from a serious knee injury this month and has repeatedly been linked with a move away from Roma.

    A pair of Serie A giants may be ready to fight for the midfielder's services.

     

    TOP STORY – INTER, JUVE TO BATTLE FOR ZANIOLO

    Inter are ready to challenge Juventus to sign Roma star Zaniolo, according to CalcioMercato.

    Zaniolo is considered one of Europe's best young talents, and left Inter for Roma in 2018.

    Roma reportedly want at least €50million for the five-time Italy international.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Contracted at Manchester City until 2021, Sergio Aguero may yet stay at the Etihad Stadium a little longer. The Mirror reports City have not ruled out giving the star forward, 32, a one-year extension.

    - With Neymar repeatedly linked with a return to Barcelona, it seems the LaLiga giants are wanting to distance themselves from the Paris Saint-Germain star. Marca says Barca are keen to see the rumours of a potential return for Neymar stop.

    - Staying at Camp Nou and Barcelona apparently have interest in two players from Tottenham. The Daily Star says Barca want Ryan Sessegnon and Tanguy Ndombele. However, it reports Spurs will reject all offers for Sessegnon this close season.

    - Philippe Coutinho's future remains unclear. Mundo Deportivo reports the playmaker, who is on loan at Bayern Munich from Barcelona until the end of the season, will not decide his future until after the Champions League next month.

    - Plenty of talk continues to surround Arsenal star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who is coming out of contract at the Premier League club next year. The Daily Star reports the forward will sign a contract extension with Arsenal – if no other club makes an official approach.

    - After just two goals in 25 games for Real Madrid, Luka Jovic seems set for an exit. According to Mundo Deportivo, Juventus, Inter, Chelsea, Leicester City, Milan and Napoli are all considering moves for the forward.

  • MLS is Back Tournament: Columbus crush Stam's Cincinnati MLS is Back Tournament: Columbus crush Stam's Cincinnati

    Gyasi Zardes led Columbus Crew to an impressive win over Cincinnati at the MLS is Back Tournament, while the New York Red Bulls also claimed a victory.

    Zardes scored a brace as Columbus thrashed Jaap Stam's Cincinnati 4-0 in Florida on Saturday.

    Stam took charge of Cincinnati for the first time since being appointed coach in May, but they were well beaten in the Group E clash.

    Columbus opened the scoring in the 27th minute through Lucas Zelarayan, who curled in a wonderful 20-yard free-kick.

    Just three minutes later and it was 2-0, Zardes finishing clinically after a pass from Youness Mokhtar.

    Zardes got on the end of a lovely cross from Zelarayan early in the second half, finishing from close range to complete his brace.

    A fine team move led to the sealer with half an hour remaining, Mokhtar curling into the bottom corner from inside the area.

    Also in Group E, the Red Bulls edged Atlanta United 1-0.

    The game's only goal came through Florian Valot, who finished in a one-on-one in the fourth minute.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.