EPL

Man Utd duo Pogba and Rashford fit for Premier League restart

By Sports Desk May 26, 2020

Manchester United duo Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford will be available for selection if the green light is given for the Premier League season to resume next month.

The pair had been long-term absentees prior to the campaign being brought to a halt by the coronavirus pandemic in March, but both players returned to small group training last week.

Competitive action could restart in England's top flight in mid-to-late June and United boss Solskjaer revealed Pogba and Rashford came through their first few non-contact training sessions unscathed.

"They're looking good. They've joined training now and they've done everything the other boys have been doing. There's been no reaction so far, touch wood," Solskjaer told MUTV.

"When we get started, it looks like we can have a full squad to choose from."

United's players had spent the previous two months training alone, but Solskjaer has no complaints about their fitness and is hopeful he can take the next step to full-contact training.

"The players have been looking after themselves," he said. "They've done well. Charlie [Owen] the fitness coach, Kieran [McKenna], Michael [Carrick] and Martyn [Pert] have been on to them all the time. They've not had many days off!

"There have been video calls and of course the last couple of weeks they’ve been stepping it up.

"The boys have been fantastic, the weather's been good and they've enjoyed it.

"Hopefully now we've proved we can do this safely and we can move to the next step. It's been really enjoyable being on the training ground again.

"Everyone's looking sharp, everyone's been in with a good mood and we've been splitting up in groups so [working in] fours and fives together and they've really done well. 

"Hopefully, they can as I said, step up and go to bigger training groups but so far it's been good."

Related items

  • Griezmann sidelined with thigh injury Griezmann sidelined with thigh injury

    Barcelona forward Antoine Griezmann has suffered a thigh muscle injury, the LaLiga club have confirmed.

    The France international was replaced by Luis Suarez at half-time of Saturday's 1-0 victory away to Real Valladolid.

    Medical tests on Sunday showed Griezmann has damaged the quadriceps in his right leg and is facing a spell out of action.

    The 2018 World Cup winner, a €120million signing from Atletico Madrid last year, is likely to miss Thursday's league match against Osasuna at Camp Nou.

    Griezmann has scored just nine goals in 35 league appearances during a difficult first season with Barca.

    He was dropped from the starting line-up by coach Quique Setien for the 2-2 draws with Celta Vigo and Atleti last month but made a goalscoring return in the 4-1 win over Villarreal on July 5.

  • Bruno Fernandes defends Rashford goalscoring form: His teamwork is amazing Bruno Fernandes defends Rashford goalscoring form: His teamwork is amazing

    Marcus Rashford deserves more credit for his "amazing" teamwork for Manchester United despite his goal return drying up, Bruno Fernandes says.

    Rashford reached 20 for the season in all competitions with a penalty in the 5-2 Premier League win over Bournemouth at Old Trafford.

    This has been the England forward's most productive campaign of his career in terms of goal involvements, but he has not yet scored from open play since the Premier League returned last month.

    Fernandes has had no such trouble finding the net, his four goals in his past three league games helping him to win the Premier League Player of the Month award for the second time in a row.

    But the Portugal star insists Rashford is hugely important for a United side unbeaten in 17 matches and with a top-four finish now in their own hands.

    "I think everyone is talking about Marcus not scoring a lot of goals but he is doing an amazing job," Fernandes told United's website ahead of Monday's game against Southampton.

    "The game he is playing now, maybe he is not achieving his goals and everything but, with everything we are doing now, he will achieve more goals and more assists. In the games, in the complete football, because football is not just about goals and assists, it is about the team and Marcus is playing very well for the team.

    "I hope Marcus can find more goals because he deserves it for the work he is doing for the team, and nobody sees it because everyone sees the goals and who scores and assists. The work he is doing for the team is amazing.

    "Marcus was injured for a long time so it's difficult to find that confidence again, to do things like shoot from far out. But he is doing an amazing job for the group and I think he deserves credit for this."

    Fernandes drew attention to Rashford's off-the-ball run in the 3-0 win at Brighton and Hove Albion that helped to create the space for the swift counter-attack that ended with Fernandes volleying in United's third goal.

    "The play we did, the way we came to score, means it's one of the best goals from a team [perspective] that I've scored,” he said.

    "That's because of all the teamwork. We won the ball with the header from H [Harry Maguire], Nemanja [Matic] takes the ball and Mason [Greenwood] did an amazing run but, at that moment, Rashy did a perfect run. He was one of the far [off] guys but comes so fast to the goal that defenders know if they give him space, he will score. 

    "So maybe he [the defender] closes him down being closer to the ball and, when the cross comes over, and it was a great ball by Mason, after that I just need to score the goal."

  • Rumour Has It: Juve and Inter to battle for Zaniolo, City may extend Aguero stay Rumour Has It: Juve and Inter to battle for Zaniolo, City may extend Aguero stay

    Juventus and Inter are reportedly ready to do battle for Roma star Nicolo Zaniolo.

    Zaniolo, 21, made his return from a serious knee injury this month and has repeatedly been linked with a move away from Roma.

    A pair of Serie A giants may be ready to fight for the midfielder's services.

     

    TOP STORY – INTER, JUVE TO BATTLE FOR ZANIOLO

    Inter are ready to challenge Juventus to sign Roma star Zaniolo, according to CalcioMercato.

    Zaniolo is considered one of Europe's best young talents, and left Inter for Roma in 2018.

    Roma reportedly want at least €50million for the five-time Italy international.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Contracted at Manchester City until 2021, Sergio Aguero may yet stay at the Etihad Stadium a little longer. The Mirror reports City have not ruled out giving the star forward, 32, a one-year extension.

    - With Neymar repeatedly linked with a return to Barcelona, it seems the LaLiga giants are wanting to distance themselves from the Paris Saint-Germain star. Marca says Barca are keen to see the rumours of a potential return for Neymar stop.

    - Staying at Camp Nou and Barcelona apparently have interest in two players from Tottenham. The Daily Star says Barca want Ryan Sessegnon and Tanguy Ndombele. However, it reports Spurs will reject all offers for Sessegnon this close season.

    - Philippe Coutinho's future remains unclear. Mundo Deportivo reports the playmaker, who is on loan at Bayern Munich from Barcelona until the end of the season, will not decide his future until after the Champions League next month.

    - Plenty of talk continues to surround Arsenal star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who is coming out of contract at the Premier League club next year. The Daily Star reports the forward will sign a contract extension with Arsenal – if no other club makes an official approach.

    - After just two goals in 25 games for Real Madrid, Luka Jovic seems set for an exit. According to Mundo Deportivo, Juventus, Inter, Chelsea, Leicester City, Milan and Napoli are all considering moves for the forward.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.