EPL

Pochettino happy Mourinho replaced him at Tottenham

By Sports Desk May 22, 2020

Mauricio Pochettino is happy Jose Mourinho replaced him as Tottenham boss.

Tottenham sacked Pochettino in November, with the team that reached the Champions League final in the 2018-19 season sitting 14th in the Premier League.

Mourinho was drafted in as his replacement but has struggled for consistency despite lifting Spurs to eighth, overseeing elimination from the FA Cup and Champions League before the coronavirus pandemic brought the campaign to a halt.

Asked if he felt any resentment towards Mourinho, Pochettino said: "No. Look, with Jose, we know each other for a long time."

During his time in charge of Espanyol, Pochettino was linked to the Real Madrid post held by Mourinho.

Ahead of a meeting between their sides, the Argentine responded to questions about the reports by saying: "My kids are sleeping in Espanyol pyjamas every night so it's very difficult for me to think about changing clubs."

It proved to be the start of a warm relationship, with Mourinho showing his gratitude by presenting Pochettino with a gift ahead of the match.

Pochettino said: "It was a very nice bottle of French red wine for me and two Real Madrid kits, Jose says: 'Okay, these are for your kids to wear from now on.'

"We have kept a good relationship since then and I am so happy he is at Tottenham, replacing me.

"I am happy as well to have left the club in the condition that we left it and for sure he is very grateful for the way that we helped to build the club, which is now his club."

Pochettino added: "I always think I'd replace him. He was at Real Madrid. I say: 'Oh, maybe one day I can take your place at Real Madrid.' But look at how life works out. He has taken my place at Tottenham. Unbelievable, eh?"

Failing to guide Tottenham to Champions League glory still rankles with the 48-year-old, who felt they were the superior side despite losing 2-0 to Liverpool in Madrid.

"We were much better than Liverpool and maybe we deserved a better result but finals are about winning," Pochettino said.

"It's not about to deserve or not to deserve. No one is prepared to concede in the Champions League final like we did after 30 seconds and that changed everything, all the emotions.

"It is difficult to prepare a team for that happening. I was so disappointed afterwards. It was difficult to stop crying, to stop feeling bad."

Pochettino soon became aware that it would be tough to build towards further success with Spurs thereafter.

"I knew that after five years at the club and with the way we were working and all the things that happened, it was going to be difficult," Pochettino said.

"It changed a little bit in our minds the possibility to stay open to design another plan or a strategy to build again, a different chapter. A different project should be difficult for us to maintain, to keep improving."

However, he harbours no ill will towards Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy for relieving him off his duties after a tough start to 2019-20.

Asked whether he wished the Champions League final had been his last game with Spurs, he replied: "No, because my commitment with the club, with Daniel and, of course, with the players and the fans was massive.

"I said to Daniel that we finished in the way that no one wanted but the end … it needed to happen. If not, our relationship will continue for ever! And maybe that's no good for the club or for us.

"When the decision came, we needed to move on. The decision for us to be hired was fantastic and when the decision is not good for you, you need to show the respect. Always, Daniel is going to be my friend. All the people at the club will be."

Related items

  • Atletico Madrid deserve to win Champions League - Carrasco Atletico Madrid deserve to win Champions League - Carrasco

    Atletico Madrid deserve to win this season's Champions League after twice suffering heartbreak in the final, according to on-loan winger Yannick Carrasco.

    Diego Simeone's side lost in extra-time in the 2013-14 showpiece and on penalties two years later, both times against city rivals Real Madrid.

    Atleti knocked out holders Liverpool 4-2 on aggregate in March and now take on RB Leipzig in a one-legged quarter-final in Lisbon on Thursday.

    And Carrasco, who scored against Madrid in the most recent of Atletico's final appearances, is hoping it can be third time lucky for his side in the condensed competition. Atleti also came second in the 1973-74 European Cup.

    "It's true that Atletico deserve a Champions League after losing two finals in such difficult circumstances," he told Marca.

    "After being ahead and conceding in the last minute in the first and then losing on penalties in the second, I think Atletico deserve to win this trophy.

    "We respect RB Leipzig - they're a good, competitive team. They finished third in Germany, which means they're a good side. 

    "It'll be a difficult match and we'll need to know how to hurt them to win the match."

    Carrasco rejoined Atletico on loan in January, two years after leaving the club for Chinese side Dalian Pro, and has made 15 appearances in the second half of the season.

    The Belgium international is due to return to Dalian later this month but has not ruled out staying at the Wanda Metropolitano beyond then.

    "I'm here until the Champions League final," he said. "I don't know [if I'll stay longer] - it's not me you have to talk to about that.

    "They're not questions for me, they're for Miguel Angel [Gil Marin, Atleti's CEO] or the Dalian owner. 

    "I'm really happy here and it would be great to be able to stay for longer at Atletico, but you know that in negotiations I don't have the final say."

  • Leipzig not distracted by Atletico's COVID-19 concerns Leipzig not distracted by Atletico's COVID-19 concerns

    Julian Nagelsmann is confident RB Leipzig will not be impacted by news of positive coronavirus tests in the Atletico Madrid camp.

    Atleti revealed on Sunday two individuals had returned positive tests, with the cases then confirmed to be first-team stars Angel Correa and Sime Vrsaljko.

    Neither player will feature against Leipzig in their Champions League quarter-final in Lisbon on Thursday.

    But Leipzig coach Nagelsmann is not concerned his team will be affected in any way by the issue ahead of a vital match.

    "No, it doesn't affect our preparation for the game in any way," the former Hoffenheim boss said.

    "We won't let this news get to us. We go into the week as normal and, as usual, focus our work on Thursday.

    "In such cases, UEFA has clear protocols on what to do. The associations have been informed and the minutes are now ticking by.

    "There are clear regulations and, if the two cases remain, I assume that there will be no consequences for the game on Thursday."

    Midfielder Dani Olmo was also asked about the problem as he spoke to the media on Monday and said: "We are continuing as normal. We are now in Lisbon and we are preparing as before."

    Olmo added of facing Atleti: "We know Atletico are a very strong team. They show that every year in the league and in the Champions League.

    "But we will focus on our game. We know we have a good chance of going through. Of course, we expect a strong opponent. It's going to be tough, but we'll do our best."

  • Sancho staying at Borussia Dortmund – Zorc Sancho staying at Borussia Dortmund – Zorc

    Jadon Sancho is staying at Borussia Dortmund despite reported interest from Manchester United, according to the Bundesliga club's sporting director Michael Zorc.

    England international Sancho – who joined Dortmund from Manchester City in 2017 – has become a star in the Bundesliga.

    Sancho provided 20 assists and scored 20 goals in all competitions for Dortmund in 2019-20, after scoring 13 times and setting up 19 goals in the previous season.

    Premier League giants United are rumoured to have made signing the 20-year-old a top priority but on Monday – reportedly a deadline Dortmund had set for any deal to be struck – Zorc insisted the winger, whose current deal runs until 2022, was staying put.

    "We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season, the decision is final," Zorc told reporters at Dortmund's pre-season training camp.

    "I think that answers all our questions."

    "Last summer we adjusted Jadon's salary to match the development of his performances. So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.